“fabulous food”

La Merenda
Ranked #13 of 1,543 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: International
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between 1st and Barclay
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stopped here after Jersey Boys at PAC...arrived at 5:30 ish. We had a reservation. Got right in. There were four of us. We ordered 6 different tappas. Started with the specials.. salmon with some wonderful sauce over kale.....yum. Asian pot stickers.....wanted 4 more. We also had the grilled escabechie, torta of the day. The best thing ever was the squash ravioli........to die for. Order two plates of these... Also, they make their own soda.... diet soda was exceptional... made with stevia. Ginger, caramel.......wonderfulness. When we left there was a line of people waiting to get in. Will be back, hopefully soon

Reviewed 28 October 2013

La Merenda has a truly inventive kitchen and outstanding 'little plates' menu of very high quality cuisines from around the world. From curries to truffles, each preparation is an individual success. The restaurant is easy to enjoy at lunch, and very popular and busy in the evenings. The outside patio is particularly attractive.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Went here with my family recently, and the food was really delicious. La Merenda is a tapas place, but the small plates are not just from Spain -- there are dishes representing Italy, the Philippines, China, Colombia, Mexico, the Bahamas, Indonesia, Morocco, Chile, India, France, Russia, Argentina, and of course the USA (Wisconsin)! ;)

They use a lot of local ingredients, if that's something you especially look for, and even point those ingredients out on the menu, as well as where they were sourced! There are lots of vegetarian and gluten free items, and they are willing to work around any allergies or "aversions" you mention to them.

Our group of five adults ate about 8-10 of the regular menu items, plus four of the desserts. If we didn't care for something, it wasn't because it wasn't prepared well; it was just something that didn't appeal to our tastes.

Note: I wouldn't recommend this for a picky eater. The food is really great, but can seem a bit "adventurous" if you're not used to trying new things. I enjoyed it, but my sister had trouble finding something she liked.

Some items we really enjoyed:
- Patatas Bravas y Chorizo (from Spain): a potato and chorizo dish, and the chorizo in this is AMAZING. I'm going to try to track it down and buy some for myself, which should be easy because they list where they bought it!

- Hong Kong Beef: this was a special, so not on the regular menu, unfortunately. If you're lucky enough to go when they have it, order it!

- Beef Stronganoff (from Russia): very good; can taste the red wine in it, if you like that flavor in your stroganoff

- Desserts: I especially enjoyed the Créme Caramel, but the Car Bomb cake and Créme Brulée (which comes with blueberries IN it) were both delicious, as well. The Tres Leches was okay, but I'm not usually a fan of that, anyways, so that might be why I wasn't too enthused about it.

Reservations fill up quickly, so make them ahead of time. They keep a few tables open for walk-ins, but seeing as this place is pretty popular, if you can't get there early, you probably will wind up waiting. I'd recommend making every effort to get a reservation instead of leaving it up to chance.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We celebrated our anniversary at La Merenda and loved the experience! The tapas were very tasty specially the duck and the chicken. Their collection of wines is good too. The location is not so good so I would recommend going early. Overall an excellent place!

Reviewed 28 August 2013

My husband and are are doing a 'stay-cation' this year and decided to try some of the restaurants that have been on our list, so we headed to La Merenda. This small plate restaurant has a wonderful menu filled with culinary delights. You choose 2-3 plates to start and add more depending on your appetite. We chose the Shrimp Escabeche, kale ravioli and duck confit crepes. The timing of the plates was perfect - finish one, the next one came. The food was out of this world and the service excellent. We finished with lemon blueberry creme brule. Delicious.
I also had their 'cola light' as they make their own soda. It was very unique, refreshing and tasty. They have outdoor eating, but it was 97 when we went so we opted for indoors. The decor is eclectic, e.g. none of the chairs or tables match, the space is cozy, however, they do have two tables that can seat 10. I would highly recommend this - we can hardly wait to go back to try more.