“Never again”
Review of Lake Express

Lake Express
Ranked #25 of 182 things to do in Milwaukee
More attraction details
Owner description: Lake Michigan's only high speed car-passenger ferry. Offering convenient 2-1/2 hour runs between Muskegon and Milwaukee. Visit our website for a full schedule of daily crossings and to book your trip. Cut hundreds of miles of driving and enjoy the hours you save when you take the Lake Michigan ferry shortcut offered by Lake Michigan's fast ferry, the Lake Express.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We booked one way passage for my husband, myself, our two children, and the car. We had room and dinner reservations waiting in Michigan. Arrived over an hour early only to be told that the ferry was cancelled. Rude customer service and no "We're sorry" or any suggestion of a later ferry. When I asked, they said that our home phone had been called. Upon checking later, it had, about an hour and a half before departure time - in other words, long after we had left home to make the required check-in time. We drove around the lake, but clearly lost our dinner reservation and a full day of our vacation. The innkeepers stuck around to let us into our room, but we had paid a bundle to have a room on the lake so that we could have time on the beach and watch the sunset. That didn't happen. The two most irritating things - the rudeness of the staff and the fact that they clearly could have let us know much sooner, we could have salvaged our plans if they had. Also, it's been 6 days and my credit card has not been credited. Funny, when I made the reservation, it was charged on the same day.

11  Thank Lola0827

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Just took the Lake Express from Milwaukee to Muskegon. No vehicle. A bit pricey, but for the 2.5 hour trip, probably worth it if you can justify the need. Didn't buy food onboard - no prices listed, and there were complaints about the high prices. Regular seating was not very comfortable - seat cushions were very hard. Seat backs recline somewhat. 'Would recommend bringing your own pad or thin cushion if hard seats bother you. Took some nice photos leaving and arriving. Lined up to board and to disembark. Enterprise car rental at both locations was very convenient.

1  Thank Robert H
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

The ferry was late 2 hrs along
with arriving 1hr early for preboard and engine problems did not arrive in Milwaukee until 9:30 from the scheduled 6:15 long wait! Long ride! Return trip unavailable. You need a lot of patience with ships of any kind there are unforeseen issues that arrive. Not their fault Still a unique experience just know going into it that unpredictable events can happen.

2  Thank sueb18
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We were scheduled to leave Muskegon.Mi.@4:00 pm on July 29. The boat was 1 1/2 hrs. late,a canned message stated "weather and navigation problems" ? . Got underway.
Next day. July 30, went to upper Wi. Then hurried back for the 7:00 pm ferry to Mi. When we arrived at the terminal, it looked closed, two people were there and.said the boat was cancelled due to engine problems.We never received one phone call or message on our cell....NOT ONE.
Were sorry,was all we were told. They did leave a message on my home phone !!
I understand weather,mechanical and other problems aren't their fault.------But not one cell call.?

13  Thank vetta555
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Was scheduled to go from Milwaukee to Muskegon on Thursday August 1, 2013, only to find out after arriving at terminal that the boat was broken. I called customer service to ask if since I had to drive I could take the Ferry back as planned with my car- no dice. They were not even a little bit sympathetic. I explained I had not been notified, they claim they called but I never got a VM (or I would not have driven to MI from IL only to drive rigth back- 2 hour addition to trip with a 3 year old). Customer Service very ppor.

8  Thank nireo23