“Not impressed”

Ranked #4 of 10 Milwaukee B&B and Inns
Caledonia, Wisconsin
“Not impressed”
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I stayed at the Brumder Mansion with my daughter who is a ghost hunting enthusiast. While she looked for ghosts, I hoped for a little pampering, and looked forward to a fabulous breakfast. We were both disappointed.

I blame my disappointment partly that I'd done some research on the Brumder before we went, and I read of the friendly, informative tour of building upon check-in, and the gourmet breakfast. We were shown our room and that was it, and left to our own devices. For being in a major metropolitan area on a busy city street, it was fairly quiet, with only the occasional traffic noise intruding. The room itself was homey and comfortable; the only complaint was the mattress was rather hard and unforgiving. There was a 3 feet plus hole in the ceiling of the hallway leading up to our room, where plaster was peeling from the hole, like it was from water damage, which was unsightly and unsettling, but the ceiling in our room looked okay.

I'd looked forward to a gourmet breakfast, but for a B&B, the second B was rather lackluster, consisting of two blueberry pancakes insufficiently cooked with warm batter in the middle, and two slices of microwave bacon. That would be it; it seemed rather miserly, even if it had been cooked well.

The neighborhood itself does deserve mentioning - it is shady, and the parking is a block down and half a block over, and walking there after dark is scary. The clientele of the B&B was interesting - an elderly man, a bookish couple who spent all day reading silently in the parlor, two older bikers in full, leather gear including chaps, and a couple that were there on their honeymoon. I worried about them climbing into the jacuzzi upstairs, as it appeared that that was where the giant HOLE was in the hallway outside my room.

One of the big selling points for this property is that it is supposedly haunted, and it is talked about on many websites, along with ghost hunter evenings, events with psychics and mediums, etc. My daughter asked the lady working if she'd ever seen a ghost, and the woman said, "I don't participate," very tersely, almost rudely, and walked away. That would be that.

Not terrible, but sure wouldn't go again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank wizard395
bunkermonkey60, Manager at Brumder Mansion Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 12 February 2015
2015- We are disappointed that you were not impressed. The hole in the ceiling was caused by the Gyneth hot tub, that periodically has a connection that jiggles loose and needs to be tightened. It has long since been fixed, after we finally got a hold of a competent plumber. The ceiling has been repaired.

We have a new staff that is responsible for breakfast, and the food has gotten pretty good reviews from our other guests. We are working toward providing gourmet breakfasts, but it is a process. Right now, we offer a full, delicious breakfast.

The staff that we had back in 2012 didn't like talking about our spirits, and so they didn't want to recognize them. I'm sorry that your daughter was disappointed, and that the staff member was rude. She no longer works with us.The full story on our spirits can be found on www.hauntedhouses.com. We are at the Brumder Mansion 80% of the time, and are willing to share what we have experienced.

Our spirits all have good midwestern manners and don't bother our guests because they know we need to rent the rooms. We have no stuck ghosts; just spirit people who come and go as they please, and love the Brumder as much as we do!

We will be glad to walk anyone to the parking lot. We know that our neighborhood is safe, though out-of-towners may have concerns. We know our neighbors, and they know us.

Come by for a tour if you like. Having a tour is part of your Brumder experience, and we will be glad to show you our home and business.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Clinton, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I stayed for a week at the Brumder in the Emma room while I was in Milwaukee on business and I was quite happy there. I was given a reservation on short notice and was met at the door by Toja the inn keeper and Tom the owner and made to feel at home instantly.

The weather that day was in the 100 degree range but the home is airconditioned and was very comfortable.

I was showed to my room and given a tour by Tonja, the room was a smaller suite but contained a beauiful jacuzzi tub ( A shame I was travelling alone). The room also had a beautiful gas fire place along with a very comfortable cast iron frame bed.

Breakfast was served to me on my time schedule and it was a gourmet dish that wanted me to be late for work for a second serving.

The home is beautiful with its beautiful woodwork and grand staircase along with the treasure trove of antiques throughout the house.

I hope people will remember that this is a turn of the century home that was lovingly restored and it doesnt have elevators and some convineces a modern hotel may have, but you also dont have a staff of unmotivated people that I normally find in hotels as I travel.

I left the best for last, on certain nights a local theatre group performs a murder mystery type of dinner that left me laughing and a memory that I will treasure for a long time.

There is also rumors that there might be a spirit or two wandering about.. LOVED IT. I will be going back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Round Lake Beach, Illinois
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We stayed there for a Murder Mystery dinner play and enjoyed it. We were greeted and checked in quickly. (Sorry I can't remember her name). She asked when we would like breakfast served and when we said we would not be able to make breakfast at the time that was offered on the weekends, she said we would be able to eat earlier so we could get on the road and head home. However the information on the time was never passed onto the morning and they we not ready for us. She did offer us some toast and coffee though.
After getting checked in we were walked up to our room and shown how to use the whirlpool, fireplace and given the excess codes for the free wireless.
The dinner part of the murder mystery was more like appetizers, but still very good. Free drinks (both alcohol and non-alcohol) were good. The show itself was very nice and the theater in the basement of the mansion was surprisingly roomy. After the show we had dessert and drinks and were able to hang out with the actors, who were all very nice and excepting of us and other guests.
The parking lot is down a couple of houses and across the street is not very big with very limited spaces. Our room was facing the busy road of Wisconsin Ave. and was a little noisy with the constant sound of vehicles driving by. I would suggest a room not on the main roadway.
We will most likely return in the future. Everybody we had contact with was very friendly and made us feel welcome.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street may be less noisy.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Mattoon, Illinois
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We stayed 2 nights at the Brumder Mansion Bed and Breakfast. We were greeted by the Inn Keeper and given a tour of the mansion. The eloquent decorating with antiques and hardwood floors gave this bed and breakfast character like no other I have ever been in. I would highly recommend this experience and will probably go back if we visit Milwaukee again. The mystery dinner theater is "a must" also. Everyone meets in the parlor and then go to different parts of the house as the mystery unravels. It was so much fun! It's in a nice neighborhood. Parking was not a problem at all. Breakfast was served in a beautiful dining room. The first morning we were served apple pancakes and they were delicious. The second morning we were served omelets and they were also very tasty. Our room was "Emma's room". We not only had a large walk in shower all encased in granite, but also had a huge whirlpool tub as well. Complete with candles and a fireplace. Beautiful antiques all over the room. My advice to anyone is to stay here. We had a great time.

Room Tip: Our main reason for going to Milwaukee was to attend a concert at Summerfest. While here, we wanted...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 6 July 2012

This was our first time here and our hostess Tanja was fantastic - she made us feel so welcome! We stayed in the George Suite and it was huge and beautiful and felt like stepping back in time. Breakfast was delicious and they include complimentary beverages (including wine and beer) to enjoy during your stay. Since this is in the heart of the city you do get alot of street noise, but this feels like an oasis in the middle of it all. Parking is about 1/2 block away so best if you pack light. We were not aware they host many wonderful events - murder mysteries, poetry readings, etc so would be great to plan around one of those. We will be back!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Lorton, Virginia
Reviewed 28 June 2012

As our 12th anniversary approaches, it brings me to remember 7/1/12 when we married. We spent that night at the Brumder Mansion. I still remember how well decorated the first floor was and how delicious the breakfast was. Our room was well decorated and made for a memorable trip. I guess that's why I'm writing this positive review and why we're contemplating a trip back to Milwaukee and staying at the Brumder Mansion, if we do go. We've stayed at several B&Bs over the years and this is the one that I compare all the others to. This place is top notch and in the city with the greatest restaurants!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We stayed at the historic Brumder Mansion on Friday June 8th and had a wonderful overnight stay. I had rented out all 6 guest rooms for a surprise 35th birthday party for my wife. Tanja could not have been more accomodating in helping make this a special evening. We had a small reception set up in the George suite for a group of 15. Each room was charming and comfortable. Tanja provided a delicious breakfast the morning after. Plenty of parking was available both in a lot across 31st street and on 31st street itself. It was a special evening.

Room Tip: Stay in the Gyneth suite for a romantic night
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends