“Home away from home”

Ranked #4 of 10 Milwaukee B&B and Inns
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 30 October 2012

My husband and I travel quite a bit and stay in a lot of hotels. When we're on the road over a weekend we like to find things to do in neighboring towns. We have had the pleasure of staying at Brumder Mansion on two separate occasions with hopes to return many more times. Tonja the Inn Keeper and Anita, the masseuse on staff are wonderful ladies who will go out of their way to make sure that your stay is a one of a kind experience. Their warmth and hospitality will have us coming back over and over again. And the breakfast is amazing! The last time we were there as we stepped onto the porch, the smell that welcomed us, welcomed us home.
Not to mention the shows! If you can book your weekend stay on the weekends the house is hosting one of many wonderful shows, it's a definite don't miss!
If you have the opportunity to stay, don't pass it up! I promise you won't regret it!
Chris and Chelle

Room Tip: The "George' is our personal favorite!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
West Allis, Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We live in Milwaukee and never knew this gem existed! Granted the neighborhood isn’t prime- but the location is! The B & B is convenient to the freeway and easy driving distance to the prime locations around town. The B &B works in conjunction with a theater group, which is a definite plus and the productions are a must do! Our stay was during October a Sweetest Day surprise for me. A bit of scary fun balanced with a dash of romance. We took advantage of attending the production “An Evening with Edgar Allan Poe” in the small theater downstairs. The production was professional and a powerful performance! The Inn has a reputation for being haunted and during our stay it was cleverly decorated for Halloween. The atmosphere and reputation along with the “Poe” production provided a great experience. I have been to a few B & B’s in England and Scotland and this one made me feel as if I was back in Europe!

Overall- the B & B is run with thoughtfulness, playfulness and polish. The Inn is clean, comfortable and the breakfast was great! Even if you don’t decide to stay- it’s well worth the trip to see the inside or attend one of the Theater productions (you don’t have to stay at the B & B to attend the productions). Tonja, Anita and Tom a great big Thank -You for a wonderful weekend!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask if the room has the bathroom en suite. The Blue room we stayed did not. The bathro...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 October 2012

The Brumder Mansion is one of the most interesting and beautiful B&Bs we have ever stayed at. Its was a quiet and cozy place to come home to after a night on milwaukee boat lines and dinner at molly cools. Tonja our host was so wonderful to us and very accomidating. We stayed on the third floor and enjoyed a the spa tub and the fireplace in our room. The breakfast that was served to us at the time we requested was wonderful, and I would go back again just for the meal. Overall our stay was one of the most enjoyable we have ever had and will go back again when we have another opportunity to stay in downtown Milwaukee. Thank you Brumder

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 September 2012

My husband and I stay at Brumder every chance we can! The innkeeper Tonja is the best... always making sure we're comfortable and have everything we want or need. I feel like I am home when there... enjoying a tea or coffee, an amazing breakfast, quiet time to read in the library, cuddled up in our room or enjoying a most relaxing whirlpool bath. I had an awesome late night chat in the breakfast nook with Tonja and Anita... can't wait to do that again! They are two of the greatest women I have ever met. Anita gives the greatest massages and even when just traveling through my husband has been blessed to schedule them. The mansion is so interesting... great history there! I even got some great shots with my camera! Our trips to Brumder have always been relaxing and I look forward to when we can return. The B&B is truly a diamond in the rough and for me, that is what makes it truly special. We went there for a bed and a breakfast. What we found is so much more than just that!

Room Tip: Our favorite room is Gwyneth... it's beautiful decor, whirlpool tub and gorgeous finishes are ro...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 September 2012

My experience at The Brumder Mansion was refreshing, relaxing & sooo necessary!! I came at a time when I was transitioning in my life & Ms. Tonja Thomas was an angel! Her hospitality and service was top-notch and heavenly! The bed was so comfortable, I haven't slept that good in I don't know how long!! Thank you Brumder Mansion for being in the HEART of the city as a beacon of light to the surrounding urban areas. So much history & so much to explore!! I have been back several times since my first stay & am always treated as FAMILY. XoXo

Room Tip: The Marion!!! Cozy & Luxurious!! Quiet on 3rd Floor!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Caledonia, Wisconsin
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I stayed at the Brumder Mansion with my daughter who is a ghost hunting enthusiast. While she looked for ghosts, I hoped for a little pampering, and looked forward to a fabulous breakfast. We were both disappointed.

I blame my disappointment partly that I'd done some research on the Brumder before we went, and I read of the friendly, informative tour of building upon check-in, and the gourmet breakfast. We were shown our room and that was it, and left to our own devices. For being in a major metropolitan area on a busy city street, it was fairly quiet, with only the occasional traffic noise intruding. The room itself was homey and comfortable; the only complaint was the mattress was rather hard and unforgiving. There was a 3 feet plus hole in the ceiling of the hallway leading up to our room, where plaster was peeling from the hole, like it was from water damage, which was unsightly and unsettling, but the ceiling in our room looked okay.

I'd looked forward to a gourmet breakfast, but for a B&B, the second B was rather lackluster, consisting of two blueberry pancakes insufficiently cooked with warm batter in the middle, and two slices of microwave bacon. That would be it; it seemed rather miserly, even if it had been cooked well.

The neighborhood itself does deserve mentioning - it is shady, and the parking is a block down and half a block over, and walking there after dark is scary. The clientele of the B&B was interesting - an elderly man, a bookish couple who spent all day reading silently in the parlor, two older bikers in full, leather gear including chaps, and a couple that were there on their honeymoon. I worried about them climbing into the jacuzzi upstairs, as it appeared that that was where the giant HOLE was in the hallway outside my room.

One of the big selling points for this property is that it is supposedly haunted, and it is talked about on many websites, along with ghost hunter evenings, events with psychics and mediums, etc. My daughter asked the lady working if she'd ever seen a ghost, and the woman said, "I don't participate," very tersely, almost rudely, and walked away. That would be that.

Not terrible, but sure wouldn't go again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank wizard395
bunkermonkey60, Manager at Brumder Mansion Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 12 February 2015
2015- We are disappointed that you were not impressed. The hole in the ceiling was caused by the Gyneth hot tub, that periodically has a connection that jiggles loose and needs to be tightened. It has long since been fixed, after we finally got a hold of a competent plumber. The ceiling has been repaired.

We have a new staff that is responsible for breakfast, and the food has gotten pretty good reviews from our other guests. We are working toward providing gourmet breakfasts, but it is a process. Right now, we offer a full, delicious breakfast.

The staff that we had back in 2012 didn't like talking about our spirits, and so they didn't want to recognize them. I'm sorry that your daughter was disappointed, and that the staff member was rude. She no longer works with us.The full story on our spirits can be found on www.hauntedhouses.com. We are at the Brumder Mansion 80% of the time, and are willing to share what we have experienced.

Our spirits all have good midwestern manners and don't bother our guests because they know we need to rent the rooms. We have no stuck ghosts; just spirit people who come and go as they please, and love the Brumder as much as we do!

We will be glad to walk anyone to the parking lot. We know that our neighborhood is safe, though out-of-towners may have concerns. We know our neighbors, and they know us.

Come by for a tour if you like. Having a tour is part of your Brumder experience, and we will be glad to show you our home and business.
Clinton, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I stayed for a week at the Brumder in the Emma room while I was in Milwaukee on business and I was quite happy there. I was given a reservation on short notice and was met at the door by Toja the inn keeper and Tom the owner and made to feel at home instantly.

The weather that day was in the 100 degree range but the home is airconditioned and was very comfortable.

I was showed to my room and given a tour by Tonja, the room was a smaller suite but contained a beauiful jacuzzi tub ( A shame I was travelling alone). The room also had a beautiful gas fire place along with a very comfortable cast iron frame bed.

Breakfast was served to me on my time schedule and it was a gourmet dish that wanted me to be late for work for a second serving.

The home is beautiful with its beautiful woodwork and grand staircase along with the treasure trove of antiques throughout the house.

I hope people will remember that this is a turn of the century home that was lovingly restored and it doesnt have elevators and some convineces a modern hotel may have, but you also dont have a staff of unmotivated people that I normally find in hotels as I travel.

I left the best for last, on certain nights a local theatre group performs a murder mystery type of dinner that left me laughing and a memory that I will treasure for a long time.

There is also rumors that there might be a spirit or two wandering about.. LOVED IT. I will be going back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business