“A Great Time!”

Ranked #14 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Dixon, Illinois
“A Great Time!”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

My wife and I stayed here in early April on a Monday evening - we took advantage of the "Day Away Holiday" special. As previous posts have mentioned, the Inn's specials are just that - ours included two entrees in the restaurant, a bottle of chanpagne and two breakfasts - in addition to the room and free parking!

The evening meal was great - I had the bangers and mash (which I enjoyed eating in the pubs in Ireland) and my wife tried the Shepherd's Pie. Mine was great, and when my wife couldn't finish hers, I helped - and what struck me the most was how incredibly tender the chunks of beef were. If you are looking for food reminiscent of Irish pub food - try this place - with the fresh Guinness and the quality food, I doubt that you will be disappointed. (OK, the Guinness is better in Ireland, agreed...) The free bottle of champagne is included on the chit for the two entrees. Our embarrassed waiter came and told us that they were out of champagne - and offered us a bottle of any of the other wines offered by the restaurant - impressive!

The room was spacious and included a whirlpool which was right out in the open - the rooms are obviously designed for couples. The bed was fine and we slept well. Prior to supper I took a walk - the Inn is located a couple of blocks from Lake Michigan and a large park which overlooks the lake - a wonderful place to take a walk and relax. The next mornng, my wife joined me for a walk around the neighborhood and in the park - once again, relaxing and a nice way to begin the day.

Breakfast was basically an omelet bar, with the normal extras - toast, orange juice, cereals, milk, etc. as a self-service option. Both my wife and I were very happy with the breakfasts, which are given in the restaurant area.

As for the negatives - only a couple. The Inn advertises free Wi-Fi, which I needed for an online class I was teaching at the time. Perhaps it was due to the location of our room at the end of the building, but the signal was, at best, limited during the time I needed to login. Actually, once I had to shut everything down and reboot after everything locked up. However, I was able to finish in a reasonable amount of time. I imagine things would have been different had our room been somewhat closer to the office. The second has been noted in previous posts - the sounds from adjoining rooms, which can be a little distracting for short periods of time.

However - all things considered - this was an outstanding experience and a great value for the money. I look forward to future visits to this great hotel and pub!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Friday night special is great. Complimentary breakfast in the morning is delicous - huge omelettes, toast, coffee, tee, sausages, hash browns, the whole shebang. Absolutely love the overall feel of this place.. truly Irish. Staff is all friendly and helpful. Frankly, they had me at the free cookies we got on check-in. Free parking in back and within walking distance to the art museum and north Third Ward. Within 5-10 minute drive to the MPM and many breweries in the area - our main agenda for the weekend! :)

My only complaint is the walls are a little thin. They ask you not to use the whirlpool between 12 - 8 am, and there's a reason for that. Unfortunately, I think the running water was louder than the whirlpool in our experience. Our neighbors took a bath at 11:30pm and we found ourselves having to talk over the sound of the tub filling. I don't know if that would've been more of a hindrance had we stayed longer than a weekend, but I don't think it would prevent me from returning. Amazing experience overall.

Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 April 2012

First time staying in Milwaukee. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary. Found a good deal for $99 for the County Clare, and a friend from Milwaukee who had stayed there previously recommended it.

Staff was all very friendly and personable, including Parker at the check-in and Ben, I believe it was, the dining room host. We went elsewhere for supper (wanted to check out other places in the city) and came back around 9pm and decided to have coffee and a dessert at the County Clare. It was still pretty busy and we didn't want to take a table away from people who were there to eat supper, but Ben was VERY responsive and came up with a table for us in short time. We thought this was great that he treated us the same as diners who were there for a full meal!

The room itself was very nice and comfortable. Bed slept well and the jacuzzi was good sized. Free parking in back was a plus. Didn't mind the bit of bar noise at the end of the night outside and in the hallway from people going to their rooms, as it was just for a short time. The free breakfast downstairs in the morning in the dining room was delicious and, again, everybody was very friendly and service was great.

The ONLY drawback was at night with the lack of insulation in the walls to where we could hear the people in the next room running their jacuzzi water and the jets for about an hour or so, enough to drown out our TV even. (That was mentioned in a previous review so it wasn't a total surprise.)

Overall, loved this place and will DEFINITELY look to stay here again when we're in the area. Thank you to all at County Clare for a wonderful time!

Kankakee, Illinois
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Our four children booked us (and their families) into County Clare for a 50th Anniversary celebration weekend. We had heard very good reports on County Clare from Milwaukee friends, and found that they were certainly true...possibly even understated! The rooms were spacious, extremely comfortable and and meticulously maintained. The pub and restaurant were up to the same standard: food was delicious and portions were large (the bartenders also pull a mighty good pint of Guinness). A highlight of the visit was the live Irish music in the pub on Friday evening: our 5-year-old granddaughter danced up a storm, to the amusement of both fellow patrons and the musicians. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. We will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Lake Zurich, Illinois
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We called a week before and there were no rooms available. We were put on a waiting list and they called thursday for Friday check in. We were happy because we have been wanting to check it out for a while.
From the moment we got there we felt welcomed. There was no spaces to park so we blocked someone in and handed our keys to the lady at the front desk. They move cars around as needed. This is a first for us, but thought it was kind of cool. They handed us a coupon for two free pints at the pub, which we intended on enjoying anyways. The bartenders qualified all drinks for the coupon. I had a bloody mary in a glass that weighed about 5 lbs and was the size of my head. Included sausage, cheese, pickle, and veggies. It was a meal in itself, it had to have been a 10 dollar value. We shared the cod and loved it. Bartenders took pride in their job and provided us with their knowledge of what we were drinking. The live music was great. Everything was fairly inexpensive. The rooms were good not great, but we expected a cozy and not luxurious inn. We woke up to a complimentary breakfast that included a omelet bar. The omelet was very good. Overall, we paid 99 for the room before tax. We got 2 free drinks which was a 15 dollar value. Free breakfast which was at least a 20 dollar value. Free parking, good music, great bar and didn't have to leave the hotel. Great Friday night for us. We then went to the Washington Inn in Cedarburg for Saturday night. We have been to the Washington Inn many times but plan on making the County Clare a regular stop.

1 Thank Fredstravelingfun
hendersonville, United States
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I can't say enough good things about this inn. The people were nice. We had no parking problems, the room was sooooooo comfy and nice, clean and very attractive. Close to everything we wanted to do. I want to go back and stay a week !!! Thanks sooooo much for helping to make our trip to Harley City a great one. PS... Breakfast was delicious and came with our room !!!

Racine, WI
Reviewed 12 April 2012

My husband and I love to stay at the CHARMING B&B, the County Clare which is located in the lower east side of Milwaukee. It is approximately 4 to 5 blocks from Lake Michigan and within good walking distances to the entertainment districts. There are also wonderful restaurants in the area and bike/hike trails readily accessible. Now why do we love the place itself. It is immaculately kept, very Irish Pub, and home decorated. There are great package deals and specials. Every room has a Jacuzzi hot tub and 4 poster bed...very well kept also. The staff is simply wonderful and they make you feel like family. The food and drink is authentic, plentiful and offers a wide selection to choose from should you prefer something other than Irish features. There are a limited number of rooms so book early...however, if you can't secure a room reservation, don't miss stopping by for a drink or a bite to eat!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple