“Nice local diner”
Review of Red Rooster Cafe

Red Rooster Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Family owned cafe located in historical downtown Mineral Point. Serving fresh Cornish pasty daily for over 40 years. Breakfast served all day. We appreciate your business!
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Small town diner feel. Serve breakfast all day, which I love. We tried their specialties: the pasty and figgyhobbin. Both were delicious. I personally recommend the individual pasty, as opposed to the pan style.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Home made biscuits, muffins and Wesh pasties! What's not to like? Well I have to admit that the pasties are not quite empanadas, I did have the opportunity to refresh my tastebud memory. Friendly, down home service, standard diner menu done well with Welsh originals make this a dependable breakfast/lunch experience on our repeated visits to Mineral Point. Limited tables, expect to share counter space with regulars.

Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

We went here because of the pasties, which my wife and I both had. I'm sure the way they make the pasties here is more of the traditional way, which is still good, but kind of bland compared to the way they are made in the UP of Michigan were they are served with lots of gravy and spiced. My kids had breakfast and soup which were both good. The inside is the general cafe in a small town in cool looking old building. Prices were fair for what we got.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We went with friends for lunch. Two of us had pasties - mine was an individual one and my friend had one out of a pie. The other two of us had reubens. This was my first pasty. I was surprised that it came with chili sauce. I guess that this is traditional, at least in WI. Mine was good. Really, there's not much much to it. A bit bland but good solid food for the miners of the past.

The reuben eaters were both impressed with their sandwiches. They came with homemade potato chips and "Bistro Sauce" for dipping. My husband thought the chips were just okay (some were soggy) but loved the sauce.

We shared a Figgie Hobbin for dessert. It's a super rich cinnamin raisin pastry covered in whipped cream. Half of it was plenty.

It's decorated right out of the 50's or maybe the 30's. The waitress was pleasant and it was fun trying some new foods.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

If you are in downtown Mineral Point and the Japanese restaurant has a line out the door, check this place out! We got right in and didn't have to wait a minute. They serve New Glarus beer in the bottle and the decor is cute and old school. I'm not a pasty expert, but this one was good. My boyfriend absolutely LOVED IT and regrets not taking one home. I had the quiche of the day, which was one of the better quiches I've ever had at a restaurant - not dry at all. For our sides we chose the roasted acorn squash and the spinach salad with hard boiled egg and bacon dressing - both EXCELLENT. Brewery Creek Inn and Mineral Point Dining Co were closed on the day we were there and we would've probably gone to one of those, but this was a great alternative option. I recommend it for lunch. Good service, good food, reasonable prices.