“worth a stop...”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Red Rooster Cafe

Red Rooster Cafe
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Diner
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Family owned cafe located in historical downtown Mineral Point. Serving fresh Cornish pasty daily for over 40 years. Breakfast served all day. We appreciate your business!
Chicago, Illinois
“worth a stop...”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

...not so much for the food, which is OK, but for the old-time feel of the place. There are regulars at the counter and at the tables, everyone seems to know one another and everyone is friendly.

The standard breakfast fare was good, though we did not have the "pastie", which is what the place is knownfor.

• Visited April 2014

Chicago, Illinois
“A little nasty pasty”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Cute diner with a rooster motif. We came for breakfast before leaving to see the House on the Rock (about a 40 min. ride, I believe). I had the quiche which was a little runny, maybe undercooked. My allergy with eggs kicks up big time if they are loose & phlegmy. Yep, close to it. So, needless to say, picked at the more cooked parts of the quiche. The crust was good, but there didn't seem to be enough of it...just broken pieces. My daughter tried a pasty since there aren't too many places for meat pies in the Midwest. (great New Zealand pasties or "pie" in Brooklyn, but that was another review quite a while ago). Again, the crust was good and my sampling yielded a very dense minced meat and potato type filling bordering on dry and tasteless, like a HUGE hamburger encased in pastry pillow. I could have taken a nap on that thing! Maybe Cornish Pasties are supposed to be this way, but the ones we tasted in New Zealand and Brooklyn had creamier fillings, although not as saucy as a chicken pot pie. We could have dipped the huge beast in catsup and a side of sauce, but in the long run, too much work. On the plus side, however, the waitress was very nice and the locals appear to love the place, no matter what. I can imagine Sheriff Andy of Mayberry coming by for a bite to eat...maybe a figgy hobbin (which we didn't sample...darn). Will we revisit this place if we are in the Mineral Point vicinity? Heck, yes, why not, if just to try that figgy hobbin everyone raves about.

• Visited May 2014
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Being a native of nearby Benton, Wisconsin where pasty is a regular staple for church dinners, we were searching for a restaurant that served pasty when traveling home for a weekend. That is why we chose the Rooster Cafe. Atmosphere was is the norm is small towns I. The area. My mother and I ordered individual pasties while my husband ordered the quiche. We normally prepare the pan style. This was a nice change. Naturally, my mother said her pasty is better, but this was great. It was served with chili sauce and catsup, our norm once again. It is rather unfair of some reviewers to compare this to pasty in Michigan's UP. This is a different region, after all. We also ordered the figgyhoppin. It was like a giant fig newton. Loved it! Dining at this restaurant was like coming home. We will definitely return.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank EquesLady
Burnsville, Minnesota
“Local flavor”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Known for its Cornish food options, we gave the cafe a try. We had their pasty and while the crust was yummy, the filling was overcooked.

Visited April 2014
Madison, Wisconsin
“Disappointing with a touch of charm”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

My husband and I decided to try this place because we heard that we had to try their "Figgy Hobbin." We ordered and our soda came in cans (we would have preferred it if they had a soda fountain, but that isn't a deal breaker). We got dinner buns with our meal that had been thrown into little individual baggies and we wondered if someone had stopped and grabbed the buns from the gas station or something on their way to work. They just looked cheap. My husband ordered the pasty and we was pretty happy with it. He ordered the wilted salad which he loved. I ordered the 1/4 chicken dinner, for $8.50. I wish I had taken a picture because it was hysterical. They gave me, no joke, the smallest leg and wing you have ever seen in your life! They were from like a miniature Cornish hen or something. They were fried to a crisp, and I do mean a crisp. There was no meat on it and they were horrible, like really bad. I ordered hashbrowns with my meal and they were good and the helping was generous. The chicken dinner has become a really funny joke between my husband and I. We ordered the Figgy Bobbin for dessert and it was really good. I thought the piece was small, but oh, it was good. Our waitress was friendly enough, but spent most of her time chatting loudly with coworkers. She also blew her nose and didn't wash her hands afterwards, not kidding. It was pretty slow, so all the coworkers were leisurely hanging out and discussing every aspect of their personal lives and the lives of everyone they knew. My husband and I kept looking at each other and feeling weird, occasionally laughing about my crappy dinner. The place seemed clean enough, but we would never go back, unless we maybe wanted to run in for a Figgy Bobbin and we'd take that to go, for sure.

• Visited January 2014