“4 stars for the authentic diner feel, but only OK food.”
Review of Red Rooster Cafe

Red Rooster Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Description: Family owned cafe located in historical downtown Mineral Point. Serving fresh Cornish pasty daily for over 40 years. Breakfast served all day. We appreciate your business!
Bentonville, Arkansas
“4 stars for the authentic diner feel, but only OK food.”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Heard about the pasty and burgers but bypassed the cafe for dinner at MP Dining. We had breakfast at the red rooster instead. Great old time diner atmosphere. The waitress was very nice but the food was ok in terms of quality and small in terms of portions. My husband ordered the homemade cinnamon roll which was dry. I ordered the apple bread french toast and literally got one piece the size of a bread slice. Didn't mind since it seemed more of a realistic human sized portion but a bigger appetite would have gone hungry. It was good, though. The cappuccino was from a machine like at a gas station. Disappointing - should tell their customers.
The quiche looked good- almost wish I had ordered that.
I would try lunch or a burger next time.

• Visited July 2014

Evanston, Illinois
“Classic diner”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Classic early morning breakfast, with locals sitting at the counter. Everyone was pleasant, friendly, and the eggs benedict was just what we needed. Great iced tea!

Visited July 2014
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Heard the pasty was great. Left after a tasteless meal. The pasty had no flavor, the bread served with the meal was moldy. I will probably not return. I would question their health standards. Very embarrassed that I brought guests with me. Service was good, but should've comped my meal after telling her about the moldy bread.

Chicago, Illinois
“worth a stop...”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

...not so much for the food, which is OK, but for the old-time feel of the place. There are regulars at the counter and at the tables, everyone seems to know one another and everyone is friendly.

The standard breakfast fare was good, though we did not have the "pastie", which is what the place is knownfor.

• Visited April 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“A little nasty pasty”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Cute diner with a rooster motif. We came for breakfast before leaving to see the House on the Rock (about a 40 min. ride, I believe). I had the quiche which was a little runny, maybe undercooked. My allergy with eggs kicks up big time if they are loose & phlegmy. Yep, close to it. So, needless to say, picked at the more cooked parts of the quiche. The crust was good, but there didn't seem to be enough of it...just broken pieces. My daughter tried a pasty since there aren't too many places for meat pies in the Midwest. (great New Zealand pasties or "pie" in Brooklyn, but that was another review quite a while ago). Again, the crust was good and my sampling yielded a very dense minced meat and potato type filling bordering on dry and tasteless, like a HUGE hamburger encased in pastry pillow. I could have taken a nap on that thing! Maybe Cornish Pasties are supposed to be this way, but the ones we tasted in New Zealand and Brooklyn had creamier fillings, although not as saucy as a chicken pot pie. We could have dipped the huge beast in catsup and a side of sauce, but in the long run, too much work. On the plus side, however, the waitress was very nice and the locals appear to love the place, no matter what. I can imagine Sheriff Andy of Mayberry coming by for a bite to eat...maybe a figgy hobbin (which we didn't sample...darn). Will we revisit this place if we are in the Mineral Point vicinity? Heck, yes, why not, if just to try that figgy hobbin everyone raves about.

• Visited May 2014