“Cothren Cottage - the perfect get-away!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cothren House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mineral Point
Cothren House
Ranked #4 of 11 Mineral Point B&B and Inns
Evanston, Illinois
“Cothren Cottage - the perfect get-away!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

The Cothren Cottage is the perfect get-away for a couple, small family or, as we did, a gal's weekend away from the husbands. Two bedrooms, a living room and bath, it is charmingly decorated to be comfy but not fou-fou. It has a truly great shower, coffee-maker, microwave, fridge, wireless internet and TV. Cozy and peaceful, it was totally quiet for great sleeping.
The Cottage is walking distance from High Street, so we got our steps in for the day strolling up and down the hills, ogling the lovely homes and amazing gardens, shopping and eating in town. If you're interested in Am Player's Theatre, it's about 20 minutes away.
It really was the perfect get-away.
Lisa is a wonderful hostess, very knowledgeable about the area, friendly and warm. We'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kate A
CothrenHouse, Owner at Cothren House, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Kate - Thank you for your very kind review. It was a pleasure meeting you both. Hope you are able to return soon. - Lisa

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

My wife Susan and I have stayed in the Cothren Cabin 2 or 3 times and in the upstairs High Street Suites this year. They are all delightful. The cabin is old, warm and sweet. We rented it in winter, right after New Years Eve and enjoyed sitting, reading and just being together. Yes it has a steep stairway. This is Mineral Point. It was built in the 1850s!

The owner Lisa is a lovely person, friendly and helpful but not the least bit intrusive. As a matter of fact, the first time we stayed in the Cabin, we never met her, but were welcomed with a nice note and a bottle of wine!

We have enjoyed our stays enough that we are booking the cabin, our son's family is booking the Cottage and our daughter's family the Washington Street house for a weekend in April.

I am perplexed that the Cothren House is not ranked number 1 in Mineral Point given that all 16 (now 17) ratings are 5 stars! My mother was from Mineral Point and I have spent a lot of time there. I have enjoyed staying other places, but the Cothren House options are the ones that I would recommend above all others.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank docloch
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

We were in awe as we walked into the Cothren Cabin; staying there is a must have experience. The Cabin is rustic, yet clean and cozy, wonderful and full of charm with just enough updating for a very comfortable stay, (i.e. central heat and A/C, great shower), and appropriately furnished with a back-in-time feel. Located in a quiet area of town, our sleeping experience was nothing but restful.

The service is superb, without being intrusive.

Mineral Point and the surrounding area has enough culture and good food to enjoy several days there; the annual art tour was going on while we were there.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Mount Horeb, Wi.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013

I stumbled upon this cabin while scouring Mineral Point for subject matter to paint. I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this cabin. This is exactly what I had hope to find. I send a couple of photos to my son to show him my find. He researched it and found out that it was a lodging experience waiting to happen. My kids bought me a night there for my birthday !

It was so peaceful and a distinct feeling of remoteness. The owner were very gracious and pointed out that they were available for anything that you might need but respected the guests privacy.

It was thrilling to spend time there. I want to go back again, especially in the winter some time.

The cabin was very clean and modern within the realm of not being apparent or overwhelming to the character of the cabin.

Very good experience and looking forward to returning.

Room Tip: This being a stand alone building is so much better than a suite or room in a larger building. My...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ken Z
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2012

A stay at this quaint, cozy cabin is a very unique experience. It's nicely furnished and has a bedroom loft. There's small bathroom and a very good shower. Settling down at night with a fire, wine and Wisconsin cheese was wonderful. The cabin is located next to the Cothren House and backs up to an open area. We enjoyed a walk around the neighborhood and nearby cemetery. Downtown is not far away where there is a restaurant with very authentic Japanese cuisine. We also had a good meal at the brew pub. The lighting could have been a little brighter for reading and having some tumblers for drinking would have been nice too.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SunPilgrim
CothrenHouse, Owner at Cothren House, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Thanks for the nice review and for the input. I just changed the lightbulbs to a higher wattage so they'll be better for reading. And, I will add some tumblers for beverages. I appreciate your feedback! ~ Lisa
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

My husband and I stayed in Cothren Cabin for a much-needed weekend away. It was absolutely perfect! I am a history fanatic, my husband loves antiques, and we both love Wisconsin so the cabin in Mineral Point was the perfect setting for a relaxing getaway. It was clean and cozy and the location was great - it was just a short drive downtown for dinner. We recommend Cothren Cabin highly and cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Be careful on the stairs at night!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer H
CothrenHouse, Owner at Cothren House, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Thanks for your positive review. Good point about being careful on the stairs!

Glad you enjoyed your stay and took to the time to write about it. ~ Lisa
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

We just returned from a "girls" weekend in Mineral Point and stayed in the Cothren Cottage for the weekend.We all loved it, the cottage is cozy & thoughtfully appointed. The beds are wonderful and the living room is very comfortable. The cottage is walking distance to town and really a wondderful little place. I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
#1 of 3 in Spring Green
Super 8 Dodgeville
Super 8 Dodgeville
#1 of 5 in Dodgeville

Been to Cothren House? Share your experiences!