“Quality has deteriorated”

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Minocqua
Madison
“Quality has deteriorated”
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I stayed at this property years ago and liked the clean and quiet rooms. However after a recent stay at this hotel (Same chain of hotels, different name), I was quite disappointed in the appearance of the hotel and noted that the hotel was not as well kept up (e.g., dust on furniture, carpets not recently vaccumed, strong odor in the guest room.) Several rooms were occupied by young guests who like to party. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Iowa city, IA
Reviewed 12 December 2012

We stayed there day before Thanksgiving to see our old friends. We stayed at this hotel and were very happy with service a well as room quality. It is not fancy but basic hotel, an overnight place to sleep. I liked this place.Breafast is ok.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Elkhorn, Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 July 2012 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights. Mostly just slept there and used the pool at night. One issue we had was our key cards never worked. Breakfast was great, the burritos and biscuits were good. One thing I found extremely interesting was one of there maintenance, was worried when I put my head under water in the hot tub? He just told me he didn't want me to get hurt. Not sure if he was serious but. Ok. Oh and it's a long walk from the bars.

• Stayed July 2012
Milwaukee
Reviewed 21 July 2012

To some extent you know what you're getting into when you choose to stay at a lower end chain in a rural area. Still, this particular Quality Inn is full of contrasts.

Pro: There is an indoor pool
Con: it's about 10x10 and a max of 54" deep

Pro: Nice decorating touches in public areas, like floral arrangements
Con: Empty can of Keystone Light stuck in one of the arrangements

Con: Hallways smelled like BO
Pro: Rooms smelled like Lysol (hey, it's better than BO,right?)

Pro: Its just yards from Paul Bunyan's restaurant
Con: it's just yards from Paul Bunyan's restaurant

We stayed here one night on the way to someplace else, and it was just fine for that. Rooms are clean, super dated (think medium oak furniture from the Miami Vice era), and comfortable enough. Staff is super friendly and there's free wifi. Longer than one night? I'd stay someplace where the halls didn't smell like armpits, but that's just me.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank lovewine
Onalaska
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Don't book here-- there are not many nice hotels in this area, but this is one of the worst. Situated on a parking lot at a busy intersection, it is dirty and beat up. The personnel are friendly and helpful, but that alone can't make up for the lack of amenities or cleanliness.

• Stayed June 2012

Travellers are raving about these Minocqua hotels

Green Bay
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I booked our hotel online through the Choice Hotel site since I am am Choice Rewards member. The hotel staff was very nice when we checked in. It was a little odd that we were put on the 2nd floor and told there weren't any rooms available on the first when we asked if that was an option, but yet, there were only a handful of cars in the parking lot. It was a pleasant surprise to have a bottle of water and a granola bar in the room with a nice note greeting me as a Choice Rewards member. The room was nice and it was clean. The bed was very soft, so if you're used to a firm mattress as I am, it is an adjustment. Breakfast was the basic continental, but it was good. I do agree with an earlier post that the 1.50 for the safe--that I didn't use, nor was I advised of until after my credit card was swiped, was disappointing. Apparently the hotel is paying for the installation of them by charging every guest for them. If I didn't use it, I shouldn't be charged, plain and simple. Otherwise, an average stay for the money spent.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Mukwonago
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My son and I stayed here at the Quality Inn on March 3 and 4. Planning to go snowmobiling (which we did) we found the trailmarking system to get in/out of town was terrible. Wouldn't stay here again for that reason. Not the hotels fault but they are listed on the trail maps and I think the management should rethink their choices of advertisements.
Hotel stay was all right. Pool was closed on Monday morning for repairs.
I made my reservation by phone to the motel directly and was given a price for the two nights. I checked my bill as I checked out and the room rates were the same. When I got home I looked at the bill again and I was charged $1.50 per night for the room safe. I was not told or asked ahead of time if I wanted the use of the safe. It is not fair to add these charges to a bill, especially if I was not told at the time of the reservation.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minocqua
Best Western Plus Concord Inn
Centerstone Resort Lake-Aire
Eagle River Inn & Resort
Eagle River Inn & Resort
#9 of 12 in Eagle River

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!