“Not my 1st choice”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Minocqua
Annandale, Minnesota
“Not my 1st choice”
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

The rooms are small and the shower curtain actually stuck to me as I tried to shower. This would not be my first choice in town, but we did get a good nights sleep. Friendly staff and it was clean. High season prices seemed a little much for what we experienced.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom v

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Indiana
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I had a reservation and needed to cancel due to a family emergency. Carol on the phone was extremely rude telling me that "everyone has an emergency." She said she could not cancel my reservation due to it not being 72 hours notice. After a bunch of red tape and speaking to the owner, Tom (who was also very rude) my reservation was canceled.

Poor business practices. Don't patronize these rude people.

Stayed July 2014
6 Thank KC19JD

Travellers are raving about these Minocqua hotels

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 19 February 2014

The off season rate is reasonable for this place, I would never pay their high season rates. I liked that the property is close to downtown Minocqua as well as Woodruff, in general a great central location. Our room was quiet, even being so close to hwy 51. The coffee was good and there were plenty of towels in the room.

I did not like where the vanity was located, just inside the door to the room. We were here in winter, so we'd walk into the room with snowy boots and even if you take them off right away the carpet in front of the vanity would get wet. Then if you get up in the middle of the night to get a glass of water your feet get wet. Not fun. The mattress was possibly the worst I've ever slept on, I went home with a crink in my back and had to set up an appointment with my chiropractor. The breakfast was also lacking, in fact I don't think it should be called breakfast if I can pick it up for 50 cents at a gas station. As I said, the coffee was good, but the boxed cereal, pre-packaged cinnamon rolls/danish, and granola bars were not what I was hoping for.

I would recommend this to people in the off season as a decently clean place to crash, fair warning about the mattress.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kathy D
Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Very friendly gentleman working the front desk. Nice, clean room. Comfortable beds. Room was quiet, couldn't hear any traffic even though we weren't far from the main road. There was plenty of lighting outside, yet was able to keep the room nice and dark at night. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank chell112
Minnesota
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I stayed here for two nights in mid-June.. SUPER clean room. Great central location to all of Minocqua has to offer.
I appreciated having a microwave and a refrigerator. The WIFI works VERY well. Coffee / muffins available in the main office area each morning. I would definitely stay here again when in the Minocqua area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Freefromwisco
Antigo, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Staying here again was a great price and well worth the price. Owners were very nice and showed us around and there beautiful suite. I would recommend them to anyone. In fact were going there tomorrow for two nights. My fiance and I could not stop talking about it to family and friends.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank laurastengll
Rosholt, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I booked this trip for my husband for his 25th birthday (we stayed 3/31-4/1/12). When I originially booked it, I found it by Googling "hotels in Minocqua" and came across the Northwoods Inn & Suites. The pictures looked nice so I went ahead and made a reservation. We got there at around 1:00 in the afternoon and the parking lot was empty. That made me nervous because we passed so many other nice-looking places with much fuller parking lots. We walked in and there was a phone by the main desk. A sign said to press 0 and wait for an operator. We were then greeted by the owner, Thomas Murray, who was the most wonderful and pleasant man to deal with. He asked if we had any questions before he took us to our room and I inquired about the "themed" rooms that I read about. He said something to the effect of "let me show you the room you currently have reserved, and then let me show you the room I'm going to give you". After he showed us the room we reserved, he took us to a fishing-themed room, which was cute, but nothing super spectacular. We were excited for the upgrade just the same and on our way back to the main desk to finish checking in, he stopped and showed us a lumber jack themed room, which was awesome (reserve if you can), and one of his suites. The suite was fantastic! It was split into two rooms, one was more of a living-room style with couches (one of which was a hide-a-bed), a TV, mini-fridge, microwave and bathroom (which had a heat lamp in it). The main room had a nice queen-size bed with a woodsy comforter set, a second television, a second bathroom (also equipped with a heat lamp), and a big hot tub in the middle of the room. The owner offered us the suite for a $30 discount. We took the suite and when we brought our stuff in, we noticed that it was extremely clean. This man obviously takes pride in his building and for a small motel, he even offers breakfast. He recommended we walk next door to El Mez restaurant, which we did and it was fantastic, and he also recommended a restaurant called Chef Rene's for dinner, which was about 10 miles away, which was beyond fantastic. The own provided amazing service to us, took time to suggest places to go and things to do that he thought we would enjoy, and the stay was better than I ever thought it would be. I would recommend this to anyone and everyone.

Room Tip: Ask about a themed room and for a room that's accessible from the parking lot (if that is desira...