“Since I am not employed by the Pointe...”

The Pointe Hotel & Suites
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Minocqua
“Since I am not employed by the Pointe...”
Reviewed 14 September 2010

Since I am not employed by the Pointe, nor do I own a unit at the Pointe, and where others who have posted comments and recommendations here clearly do, I felt the need to follow up on a previous comment about articles being stolen by house keeping staff.

My wife and I have personally had items stolen from our rooms at the Pointe on two occasions, and no longer stay there as a result. The first occasion, we were convinced that perhaps my wife had left her missing jewelry at home, but of course when we got home and realized it wasn't there, she knew she hadn't lost her mind, that it had to have been stolen. This theft occurred in 2008. We contacted the Pointe to let them know, and they pleaded with my wife there was no way someone could have stolen this $1,000 bracelet from the room. Guess again.

In late July of this year, we made a last minute decision to visit Minocqua for the weekend. Since it was last minute, we could not immediately find vacancy, so I reluctantly called the Pointe after my wife, of all people, insisted. There were vacancies, not the best rate given the amenities, but then it was summer and a weekend.

Despite asking that house keeping not clean the room, it was cleaned in our absence anyway. Thank goodness for Walgreens in town, because some time during the trip, the bottle my heart medication was in had been emptied.

I would NOT recommend the Pointe, PERIOD, not until their house keeping staff cleans up their act.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank mmatek
MarineJPD, General Manager at The Pointe Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 27 September 2010
Management of The Pointe Hotel & Suites takes very seriously the allegations of theft at our facility.

As a result of the September 14, 2010 TripAdvisor.com review, Pointe Hotel Management filed an "Open Records Request" with the Minocqua Police Department to gain all available records pertaining to the alleged thefts. No records were found!

We encourage the writer of this review to meet with Management of The Pointe Hotel & Suites to discuss this issue. Further, we strongly recommend the writer report the allegations to the Minocqua Police Department so they can be fully investigated.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
illinois
Reviewed 3 July 2010

We were there with my husband and my mother in law. One bedroom was plenty comfortable. Each room had separate entry onto the balcony overlooking the lake and into the bathroom(doors could be locked), but bedroom had it's own sink. Service very good, location very good. Right on the lake with private docks for rent ($15/day), easy public dock access (free), 10min walking from downtown Minocqua. New selfstarting and self cleaning grills outside, fire pit with wood ready for you, nice pool, sauna, hot tub, workout room, bikes for rent. Another words, none of us three had any complaints at all. Town itself was neat, well taken care off. We liked this restaurant on RT70 going west about 7-8 miles out of town of Minacqua, "Black Bear Lodge". Great ribs, great bear selection, good music on fridays and saturdays. We would stay there again!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
chicago, IL
Reviewed 3 July 2010

I've been traveling to Minocqua for 30 yrs and this is the first time I stayed at The Pointe. Great accommodations for the area (note this: "for the area" - gotta remember you're in the North Woods). We stayed in a one BR suite with our one-year-old. It was perfect - we watched TV in the living room while he slept in the bedroom. We stayed in the winter, so I can only assume it would also be great in the summer with the beautiful views of the lake. Restaurants/shopping are a short walk over the bridge.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
Alpharetta
Reviewed 19 April 2010

We stayed for one night in the one-bedroom suite. OMG, we could have moved in and stayed a month. For the price, we were amazed at all the room we got. Two separate sink areas (so important when you're traveling with a spouse), a separate kitchen, dining room, bedroom, and porch overlooking Lake Minocqua. Very close to downtown Minocqua. Beautiful indoor swimming pool. Continental breakfast included hot waffles, oatmeal, cold cereal, fruit, etc. Room was very quiet. Loved it all.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 27 March 2010

Very much appreciate the friendliness and attentiveness of the staff. We had left an item in the room after leaving the Pointe, and within 2 days we had received a call. Nice breakfast in the morning which included waffles, cereal, etc. From our room we had exceptional Northwoods views of Minocqua Lake and the Pointe's hillside location which is near to town. We will be back soon for more walking adventures.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 March 2010

We continue to be impressed with the Pointe Hotel and Suites in Minocqua.
We have been a regular customer since 1991. We go there to relax and enjoy
the beautiful views throughout the year of Lake Minocqua from the living room, bedroom, and deck of the rooms. The General Manager has been there since before 1991 and provides an open door policy and encourages feedback. The front desk, housekeeping, and maintenance staff provide excellent service. We have found no other facility that provides so much natural beauty and high quality service.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
St. Charles, IL
Reviewed 21 February 2010

Questionable place, have had things stolen from my room by hotel housekeeping staff on two occasions. Also, if you plan on parking a trailer- boat, snowmobile, or otherwise, look elsewhere- their parking lot is not only on a steep angle (neat situation when parking a trailer), but you have to park far away too. Worth noting, the hotel staff has always been really nice, the amenities and facility clean and accomodating; I've stayed at The Pointe several times. Most any room has a great waterfront view. Since these are mostly privately-owned units, they tend to be in good condition, with some being more plush than others. I recommend using the 'DO NOT DISTURB' placard on the door, however. You'd think I would have learned my lesson the first time, but I have now had things STOLEN out of my room by hotel cleaning staff TWICE, with NO offer by hotel staff to alleviate or correct the problem, that is to say, no offer of compensation or resolution was given whatsoever.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank phatasswj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minocqua
Best Western Plus Concord Inn
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rhinelander
Wild Eagle Lodge
Wild Eagle Lodge
#2 of 12 in Eagle River

Been to The Pointe Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!