“Not the best”

Ranked #13 of 44 Restaurants in Monona
Cuisines: Mexican
“Not the best”
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

My husband and I ordered shrimp and steak, my steak was like rubber and his shrimp the size if dimes! We love spicy food but it was do hot it made my husband sick! Will not be going back here! Charge a lot for rubbery food!

1 Thank Revera89

Chicago, Illinois
“Absolutely Tremendous!!”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I stumbled upon Las Islas del Mar when I was driving through Monona looking for a place to eat dinner on a recent trip to Madison. The restaurant is certainly unprepossessing from the outside (it looks like it may have had a former life as a Burger King), but the food is absolutely tremendous. Over the years, I have had many excellent meals at Mexican seafood restaurants in Chicago, San Diego, L.A., and other cities around the country -- this one tops them all. The meal starts out with a gratis bowl of white fish ceviche that is served with lime and crisp tortillas -- good, but not outstanding. However, my entrée was absolutely spectacular -- a huge (and I mean HUGE) bowl of octopus, squid, shrimp, fish, oysters, 4 giant prawns, 3 spiny lobsters, and a cluster of crab legs cooked in a mildly spiced red sauce. AMAZING -- and I couldn't finish it, even though I loved every bite. This was one of the best restaurant meals that I have had in several years, and was made all the better by the randomness of the encounter. The price is also a bargain. Service is good, but only some of the staff are fluent in English. Las Islas del Mar is certainly worth a drive -- I keep thinking about driving back up there from Chicago (~150 miles) to do it again.

• Visited July 2013