“Strict, strict, strict.”

Wilderness Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montello
Wilderness Campground
Madison
“Strict, strict, strict.”
Reviewed 26 May 2011

We have stayed at this campground 3 times now as we have friends with a family that have a seasonal camper here. The campground has a small lake and a pool which is good for the children although there are no lifeguards. The campground is desperately family oriented and don't plan on going here with adult friends for a hoo-ra time or you'll be unpleasantly surprised. Only one tent allowed per site, no motorcycles allowed in the park, more than 2 adults per site is extra, quiet hours are roughly from every hour of the day to every hour of the day. We are staying one last time here in June and after that, we will not be returning to the campground nazi's. This would be the place to go if you want some peace and quiet and a serious lack of fun as peace and quiet are strictly required and fun is seriously frowned upon.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank loudpipes

Solo
Business
West Salem, WI
Reviewed 28 August 2009

My family went on a 5 day camping trip to the Wilderness campground and had a lot of fun. They have so much to do there that we where busy from the time we got up until we went to bed at night. They have a very nice heated swimming pool, a swimming pond (More on that later), a jumping pillow, pedal bikes, mini golf, boat rentals, and great fishing. We spent a lot of time swimming in the pool. It was very nice and was like swimming in bath water it was so warm. the swimming pond was another story. The water was cold and very green with algae. My kids and husband didn't mind the green but I did not go in any farther than my knees. They did have some fun inflatables in the pond like a water trampoline, and slide. My only complaint about the inflatables was that they had them out in the center of the pond where it was pretty deep. I was a little uneasy about my kids swimming out to them and they are both good swimmers. The mini golf was a little ruff looking and could use a little TLC but we still had fun playing it. My kids loved the jumping pillow. As far as the pedal bikes go...I never saw anyone on them. My son saw and kid riding one around so he went into the office to ask about them and that was on a Friday. They said yes they do have them to rent but they do not rent them out on Fridays because of all the campers coming in to check in. That was a little weird I thought but we had enough other things to keep us busy. The fishing was awesome. my youngest son is not really into fishing but this camping trip that was all he wanted to do! The kids barely had there poles casted into the pond and they where getting bites. They caught a lot of perch, sunfish, catfish, and some large mouth bass. There where a ton of frogs hopping around that the kids tried to catch too! There are 3 lakes to fish from however there are alot of lilly pads in all 3 ponds along the shore lines. The campground also had a nice little snack shop/restaurant. They had pizza, nachos, ice cream cones, and on Friday night they had a fish fry. We didn't eat at the fish fry but it smelled very good. My only big complaint about the campground was the restroom situation. I feel like they didn't have enough bathrooms for how large the campground is. They also charge .25 cents to take a 5 minute shower so make sure you have your quarters with you. The other thing that bothered me was that they closed down the bathrooms around 9:00 in the morning to clean them. I thought it was very bad time to shut them down when thats the time of day people are getting up and ready for there day. They kicked my kids out of the bathroom while they where brushing there teeth so they could clean it. One tip I have is to buy there coupon book that they offer. for about $15.00 you get a coupon book with 4 passes for minigolf, 4 ice cream cones, 1 small pizza, and a 1 hour paddle boat rental. It was well worth the $15.00. My family would camp at this campground again!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank momof2boys_7
lacrosse
Reviewed 14 August 2006

We visited the Wilderness Campground in Montello, WI, in Aug 2006. It was an older campground but I would go back again. The bathrooms were ok / good shape. The pool was a nice size and a fair temperature. The petting zoo was not great; just llama's and bunnies behind wire. The beach was good sized and my kids spent a long time playing in the very nice sand. Don't expect to catch any fish in the small lake but it was fun trying. Our party had 3 families camping together and we all liked that we didn't have a problem with bugs (other than flies during meal times). They had a toddler playground by the store and a bigger playground with some pretty old equipment by the pool. Our only problem was a fairly loud group of neighbors that were loud after midnight but that can happen at any campground. I would have to say that all 3 families said we would go back again.