“A truly lovely palce” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of White Lake Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montello
White Lake Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Montello
Beloit, Wisconsin
“A truly lovely palce”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2011

My family and I have been going to white lake for many many years now. Every year we look forward to it. It is a lovely beach, perfectly sized lake, and a great atmosphere for families (ages 1-90). There are always a lot of kids up there to play with and the resort is pet friendly, which is nice if you stay the full week like we do.
It is true that the cabins are out dated but what could you except from a building that is 85 years old? They are cozy and have well equipped kitchens and bathrooms. And the majority of the cabins have a beach view.
They are many activities that you can do through out the week also. Princeton, Rippon, and the Dell's are all within driving distance on a rainy day. Then, of course, there is the beach. The whole family will love the cook out, fish fry, and keroekoe. Along with the playground and the peacocks there is plenty to look at. For the adults (and children, it is Wisconsin after all) there are activitives nightly in the bar.
The workers are very personable and always willing to help! We look forward to it every year.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank KaleighYurkew

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

Same as the girl below me, I also saw the negative comments recently posted on here, and decided that I had to set it right. I don't believe it is fair to give this place such a bad rap. I believe the negative posts before me have been posted out of misunderstanding. To really enjoy and love this place, you must first UNDERSTAND it! Scharenberg's is not supposed to be a luxurious, elegant, trendy, posh resort. If that is what you are looking for, then yes, stay far away. Scharenberg's is actually more about getting AWAY from all of that! It's about getting back to yourself and nature and family and friends and the simple things in life. In a world full of technology and obsessed with luxuries, where things go in and out of style faster than a person can process, a person needs a place like scharenberg's to remind us all to come back down to earth. And only once you understand that, can you look at scharenberg's how everyone that loves it as a second home does, can you see the amazingness all around you.
No, the cabins are not the cleanest they could be, and no, you won't be getting brand new furniture and kitchen appliances. But that's part of the experience. Of course the cabins are not spiffy clean because sand is everywhere at Scharenberg's. It is inevitable. But the cabins are not soiled and disgusting like some have said! I go up there with many family and friends and hang out in many of the cabins, and I have yet to see anything "disgusting" and just terribly unclean. The cabins are old, and they are rustic. They hold history and memories and traditions, and it shows. And that is exactly why I love them and wouldn't trade them in for a posh, sparkly clean hotel, not in a million years. That is why I actually don't like the Abbey 1 and 2; they are new and don't have the same feel as the rest of the place. What you get is very good for the money too; they could be charging a lot more for a week.
Scharenberg's is the place that all of my family, cousins, and friends that I've met up there love. We count down the days in the weeks before Scharenberg's, and when we are finally there, the week goes too fast. There is so much to do and so much fun to be had. Whoever said the place was not for kids is very much mistaken. The place was made for kids! Tons of kids go there and run around all day long on the beach and around the resort. The place is relaxing and crazy fun all at the same time. There just isn't another place like it in the world. The beautiful lake sparkles clear, and when the sun sets, the lake lights up into a million colors.
I think, when it comes down to it, Scharenberg's isn't for everyone. You have to be a certain kind of person to enjoy it, a special kind of person. Every year, I forget how much I've changed when I go back.. I bring so much stuff. Too many shoes, too fancy of clothes, make-up, jewelry, you name it. And when I get there, I don't even use or need most it. Scharenberg's isn't about the clothes you wear or impressing anyone, Scharenberg's is about friends and family and fun. It is about just being alive and well. Again, I'm reminded not to get too caught up in all that jazz. Scharenberg's is refreshing and real. Some people don't like being pulled out of a world of luxuries and into the simple life, but I do, and I wouldn't change a thing about the place.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank countrystrong22
Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

I am 17 years old, and my family has been coming here every summer for the past 9 years. Scharenberg's is my favorite place to be in the entire world. It is very relaxing and the perfect get away. Scharenberg's is where I always spend quality time with my family.
I was shocked when I read some of the negative reviews below, and feel obligated to correct false information. The cabins are not filthy and the food is incredible!!! Naturally, sand from the beach gets tracked into the cabins, which would make them filthy. However, every single cabin is equipped with a broom and dustpan, so any guests who dislike sand on the floor may simply sweep it up themselves.
Scharenberg's is a great place for kids to have fun. There is a trampoline raft on the water as well as a slide, junglegym, and swingset, as well as an arcade room. Every Thursday evening is Kareoke Night and my friends and family always have a blast singing all night.
I love this place so much and have made so many unforgettable memories here, and some day, I plan to have my wedding here.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank asands2
PORTLAND
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2011

If you plan to go on vacation to relax, this is not your place. We are not by any means picky folks but this place was so dirty and run down it was hard not to be disgusted. Upon arrival the general appearance of the property was a bit alarming. However, it was not until we arrived at our cabin and checked out our accommodations and those of the rest of the family were we truly disgusted. We had our 1 year old daughter with us who was just learning to walk. Imagine the thought of putting your precious baby on a floor that when wiped with a paper towel upon arrival was black. Also, by the amount of sand and sticks on the 1970s carpet it was clear that a vacuum hadn't been used recently either. Ok, well let's sleep on it and with a good night's rest we'll feel better. The bed was like sleeping on nails and didn't fit the bed frame so when you moved it fell to the ground. When we picked it up to try and fix it what was under the bed (dust, dirt, hair ties, etc.) was horrible. At least we could start the next day with a fresh cup of coffee - oh wait, no we couldn't because there was still moldy coffee in the pot from the last guests so we had to first clean the pot. But alas, the reason we were really here, the beach and the water. Not a chance my baby or I were playing in the sand! We picked up 3 plastic bags of cigarette butts from the sand both in front and behind our cabin. Honestly, the list goes on and on. It appears that it used to be a really nice place and White Lake is beautiful but clearly maintenance and upkeep are no longer a priority. Also, don't think about renting one of the two nasty pontoon boats as there isn't even a ladder to use when getting in and out of the water.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank Michelle_PDX
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2010

Several of us have been staying at White Lake on Labor Day weekend for past 11 years. About 4 years ago the resort was making progress in updating rooms, but that has stopped. Seems in the past year service and room quality has dropped to a new low. The breakfast buffet served on the weekend ~45 minutes late to serve food. Customers and I picked up plates and ate what food was brought out to buffet serving tables. Employees were still slowly bringing out food, but by this time we had paid our bill and left. Make sure you do not over pay on a hotel room bill. We were overcharged for one night in one of the condos ~$152. My brother-in-law and I have called to get a refund or a credit for next year… no response back. It’s been over 60 days, very unprofessional.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank Passthecaptain
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

The grounds are nice and the lake is nice, but if you are looking for a clean place to sleep do not go to this "resort". Every single room was filthy. Many things were broken and fixed with duck tape. We were in a golfview room, but the only view out of the rickety balcony were woods. There was no view! The peacocks are noisy all night! This place needs some major work! The restaurant and bar were good. I just wish I could have slept somewhere else and then just visit here for the day.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank disney6926
Westfield, IN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

I had been to the resort several times in previous years, and enjoyed it so much that I brought my best friend and her husband with me for the Memorial Day weekend. We had a wonderful stay. The food in the restaurant was delicious, the beach and lake clean, boat rental was easy, the staff was always friendly and helpful.

We stayed in the 'abbey,' which was like a home away from home with separate bedrooms and bathrooms for us as well as a full kitchen and living room. We brought and fixed some of our own food as well as taking advantage of the restaurant.

There are a growing number of peacocks and other birds on site. I enjoyed seeing the albino peacocks (I never knew such a thing existed!) as well as the regular peacocks. It was really neat to see a couple of the male peacocks showing off their beautiful tail feathers. Lots of great picture opportunities.

The bar was also a fun place to hang out. It has a friendly atmosphere, which also allows for conversation (ie, we could hear each other over the music). Also, the bartenders mix drinks well and have a wide repertoire.

All in all, my friends and I had a very relaxing and enjoyable weekend. I look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montello
Heidel House Resort & Spa
Heidel House Resort & Spa
#1 of 4 in Green Lake
Hilltop Motel
Hilltop Motel
#1 of 2 in Montello

Been to White Lake Beach Resort? Share your experiences!