“Perfect getaway on the lake”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montello
White Lake Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Montello
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Perfect getaway on the lake”
Reviewed 30 September 2010

I spent two nights at the resort with a few friends, and we were impressed by the friendly service and beautiful location. The peacocks are a unique touch you won't find anywhere else. Would definitely return.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank jmdiamond

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 September 2010

My family has been coming to White Lake Beach since I was a kid...Details may change, but it's still the same old Scharenberg's!! White sandy beach, ice cream and hot dogs and pizzas, a FABULOUS fish fry... Even better, now when the folks watch the kids, my hubby and I sneak up to the bar for a night of getting a little wild!! The kids love going tubing on the speed boat, and my husband loves sneaking out for some golf at the course. Everyone finds their little place at White Lake.
Our family rents two cabins, side by side...They are cute, rustic, and the owners are always working to keep them nice and improve them. They feel like home!! We recently expanded into one of the apartments off the main building, too--maid service, TV and air made it a great retreat for the older members of the family.
We love this place, and wouldn't go anywhere else for our family vacation. See you next year!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 August 2010

This was only my third year returning to Scharenberg's, but I am always impressed with this little gem. Families know eachother year after year coming back for the same week, they joke about being "Scharenberg's friends" as they only see eachother once a year. My wife and I were looking for a relatively inexpensive place to go, relax, have a few drinks, some good food and some time in the sun. We found it. There is a little stand on the beach that sells food, and candy for the kids and frozen pina coladas and margaritas for the adults. We rented time to go tubing with their speedboat, we ran low on gas and had to come back 10 minutes before our hour was over, after gassing up, a 5 minute operation, the owner gave us an additional half hour free though we told him it was not necessary.

There were kids running and playing, a trampoline in the water that looked like a blast, my wife swam out to it and laid in the sun in the early am, I am a late sleeper. :)

The nightlife is a blast with kids and adults Karaoke and bar specials and games.

We look forward to this week every year. I cannot say enough about how much the staff cares and takes everything we said to heart. RARE! in this day and age of fast food anonymous chain hotels and resorts.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

I read some of the other reviews and wanted to give the other side. We have not had a bad experience in 3 visits. Of course it is rustic, it has been there 85 years!!! :)

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Danocean117
Madison, Wi
Reviewed 6 August 2010

I was surprised to see the last review, but after spending the week there I agree with much of it. The cabins were not as clean as they used to be....dirty dishes, cob webs, stained and barely swept floors. The food at the restaurant was ok, but we bring alot of our own. Pets are allowed (I love dogs), but I don't like having to pick up stools off the beach, or swimming with dogs who do what dogs do, in the water. We were with family and friends, and that made it fun for us.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank madisonkathy
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 July 2010

Previous summers here were fairly enjoyable, but this year it was just a joke. The cabin was FILTHY and the resort's food was DISGUSTING. The bar charged different amounts for the same drink over the course of our stay. Each tiny cabin seemed to have at least a dozen occupants, many drunk and foul-mouthed. People are allowed to bring in their own alcohol and sit outside getting hammered all day, NOT a place for families with small children. The owner locks the lake access and then goes and gets drunk himself, making it a hassle when we wanted to check out and get our boat off of the lake. We had to wait for well over an hour and felt trapped at this place. We were told to "get a drink" in the bar while we waited for him, nevermind that we had a 5 hour drive ahead of us to get home. This place has really gone downhill and we will NEVER go back.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank MomandDad35805
Antioch, IL
Reviewed 6 May 2010

We have been going up to Scharenberg's for the past few years (missed it last year). We go for a Stay and Play package. Renting a Golfview house and getting a round of golf per day (with cart). Relaxation is the name of the game. You can get back to basics.
The "New Year's Eve" party the Saturday of Labor Day weekend is always fun with a different theme every year. P.J. and Angie are just great hosts and a blast to hang out with.
Keep in mind, when staying here for a golf and fishing weekend, its not Pebble Beach, but a nice simple, old-dchool family resort!

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank srebo70
chicago
Reviewed 29 July 2009

Yes, i mean literally. Each and every year of my short 15-year old life, i look forward to going to this place with my family and cousins and aunts and uncles and grandma and all the friends we have met up there. Out of all the 56 weeks of the year, this one is my favorite. I have fallen in love with this place just like so many of the other people that come here year after year for generations. My family has gone here since my dad was a toddler. we have gone every year since. This is the most perfect vacation spot ever. I've been a lot of places and i would turn down Hawaii to go here. I have been to Hawaii, so that's not just a exaggeration. I love this place and the people we get to meet here. They are friends we will have for a lifetime. I met one of my now best friends here when I was 8. I haven't met a person there who hasn't loved it. The people who run the place are thee nicest people and really do make you feel like it's your second home. They have something for everyone including peacocks roaming around. Swimming, boating, water sporting, golfing, star-gazing, campfires, karaoke night, sunday brunch, wednesday chuck wagon and that's just barely scratching the surface. I could write a book on all the things you can do and the fun times I've had in this truly amazing place. Visit their website for more information because I cant explain everything in a paragraph. All i can say is, I've found that Heaven is a place on Earth. <3

*at the bottom i clicked swimming pool as an amenity because they have a clear lake for swimming which is better than a pool (and works wonders on your hair i must add)

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montello
Super 8 Wautoma
Hilltop Motel
Hilltop Motel
#1 of 2 in Montello
No photo provided

Been to White Lake Beach Resort? Share your experiences!