“Just Plain Bad”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mosinee
Lake Du Bay Shores Campground
Richmond
“Just Plain Bad”
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

We had several family members camping here, including two families who rented campers from the campground. THE OWNERS NEVER EMPTIED THE GRAY OR BLACK WATER IN THEIR CAMPERS BEFORE WE ARRIVED! They then proceeded to interrogate our family members as to how many showers they were taking, how long the showers were, etc. The water was barely on in the shower and/or the toilets were flushed less than 5x before the water/sewage started backing up. DISGUSTING! Also it was about 42 degrees overnight. One of the units had no heat. The owners solution was to give a $20 gift certificate to their dilapidated camp store. The playgrounds are not only outdated, there are sections of fence falling down and the gate is literally falling off of the hinges on the older kids' play area. The "beach" consists of a section of sea wall that fell out-that's your foot access to the water. There is not a pet beach. It's the area between two sections of dock. We reserved a pontoon from them. All communication was via email. On the morning of, it was 42 degrees. I went in and said we had decided against going out. They NEVER mentioned that the ($100!!!!!!!!) deposit was non-refundable. The lady in the office kept saying "I will have to say what "he" wants to do about it." Finally I said "Who is this "he"? Please get him out here." "He" eventually came to our campsite and claimed that we spoke to them via phone and that we were given this information. What???? I showed them the email where they said "We have you down for the pontoon on _____ day for the hours of _____." He said they can't take reservations via email. Well, their mistake - I did everything regarding the pontoon via email and I will be showing the BBB those messages. There is litter all over the campground, their garbage dumpsters are overflowing (they probably don't have them emptied every week to save $$$), they have a visibly bad roof on the main building and on the shower house by the water, there is some sort of storage spot behind the main building for perhaps lawn mowers, tools, wood for repairs, small machinery, etc. that is supposed to be concealed by a wooden fence, however it has fallen over. They have projects started all over the place that aren't finished..... The place is completely over grown and run down and the saddest thing of all is that the owners don't care. They are clearly a sedentary bunch - when they come out they are on golf carts, and they don't do anything during their rounds in terms of taking care of the place. If I drove several hours and had the choice between saying here or driving several hours back home -I would go back home. It's that bad.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
11 Thank womanroadwarrior

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Marshfield, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Our parents booked a site here for the week that costs $195. They didn't plan on staying there every night they just wanted to make sure they had a spot for the 4th of July. So they asked the lady they booked with if it would be alright if we stayed for a night instead of them. The lady said yes we would just need to check in. She did not say that we would be expected to pay $12 extra dollars because it was not our name on the slip. Good thing we didn't bring our dogs because pets are extra. The park is a joke anyway. They have an overpriced convenience store which I would think you would only use if you were desperate. They do have free showers which is nice but with two hundred campsites and 1-2 showers each for men and women big deal. The playground is terrible. The 12 and under area is all extremely old all metal equipment that is just outdated. The 5 and under area has two plastic playground pieces like you would by for your own backyard which would be fine if they weren't filthy and falling apart. There was also a sand box but whether there was sand in there or not I'm not sure because it was too full of grass to tell. The campgrounds themselves are very small and close together ours had an open electrical box with a bunch of wire ends hanging out. They say they have a swimming beach but really its just an area you can get into the water from no real beach in sight. The owners are rude and seem to spend all their time just going around and around the park on golf carts instead of maintaining the place. Really go anywhere else but here.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
16 Thank Renee L
Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 May 2012

day one we had no hot water, and for the rest of the weekend the hot water was so hot that it was not tolerable. This was on Memorial day weekend 2012... I knew this would be a bad experience when the owner called on Thursday to tell me know they double booked our campsite and offered to put us on the same site as others we are going camping with and WOOD as a "discount", it was a battle to get 10% back ($10.91). They charge for everything and you would think they would put it back into the campsite.. They do not as the facilities are terrible.. visitors can stay up until 10:30 PM and as soon as its that time their staff runs from site to site to make sure they leave. Infact, when we left the patrol golf cart ask me where my ticket was and I told him we were leaving and he didnt need to see it.. I had to remind him what would he do if I didnt show it to him what was he going to do? kick me out? we were already leaving! LOL

1 out of 5

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
14 Thank BoboJaqkson
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I am at the campground right now because the public campground a few miles away, where we had intended to stay, had no openings, so with kids and dogs ready to get out of the van we came here. We haven't found the owner to be friendly or even helpful. We camp a lot and normally will pay $15 to $20 for the places we go (which always have big, wooded sites away from the neighbors a bit). There are nice bathrooms here, a convenience store, and boat landing. But considering the non-exsistant beach and gross lake water, I would still expect to pay up to $25. Here you will be stacked like cord wood, you will pay $30 - $33/night, you will pay extra for every pet you bring, no tents allowed, and your visitors will pay $3/person and leave by 10:30, but the owner will not tell you this until its too late. Just don't camp here.

• Stayed July 2011
21 Thank 546927

Been to Lake Du Bay Shores Campground? Share your experiences!