“Very nice place!”

Ranked #1 of 25 Restaurants in Mount Horeb
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Local Brewery featuring 12 of our own beers on tap and many award winning. Many local food offerings and full bar. Daily specials include Friday FishFry and Sat Prime Rib. 2Nd floor is home to Pizzeria and full bar with many large screens for the games.
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Wonderful menu selection and nice brews. We stopped by for lunch while on a roadtrip. The place seems clean and have a good staff. We sat at the bar.. husband ordered baked fish (portion seemed small for the price) and grumpy chips (homemade, yum!). I ordered a veggie wrap and sweet potato tots. Why don't more places offer sweet potato tots? They're awesome! My veggie wrap had a lot of fresh ingredients but the roasted red pepper in it tasted like it was past it's prime.. had an acidic taste so I just picked it out and ate the rest. I probably wouldn't get it again though. I saw a veggie burger on the menu and that's what I'd plan on trying next. They have a veggie pasta dish also that sounded real good! Cute place. I'd like to come back sometime.

1  Thank LikeToExploreAround

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We drove 2:30hrs to have lunch and a couple of beers. It was well worth the trip. It is definitely worth doing repeat trips. The hospitality is great. The beers are pretty damn good. And the food is awesome. We were given a 20min wait time and only waited 10. They were quick to get drinks filled and very understanding to finding out info for food allergies. The hostess/ owner I believe was great, she came over and checked on us and sat there and chatted for a few minutes. She didn't run away like all the others in different establishments, once you gave the all good nod.

Thank B.j. S
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Ate here with a group of friends. Burger was wonderful. From the sounds and comments of my friends, everyone enjoyed their food.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Cruising the Wisconsin Travel Website, I came across this blurb; The Trollway - Mount Horeb's Trolls, and right below it was The Grumpy Troll Brew Pub. Both sounded like quirky and unusual tourist attractions. Wife loved the name and on that alone I put Mount Horeb on our itinerary. We were not disappointed.
Arrived and met our first Troll outside standing on the corner of the establishment. Went inside and were seated quickly in the back near the brewery observation window, although nothing was happening behind the glass. Waitress was very happy and pleasant (Not like the ones we had read on Trip Advisor about) She explained our options on the specials and menus, told us both that we had made very good choices on our meal selections after taking our order and left to get our drinks.
Our meal arrived fairly quick, being they were slightly busy and looked and smelled great. We were not wrong. Have had sweet potato fries before and love them, but I had sweet potato tots here and they were fantastic. My wife liked them a lot and wished she had ordered them.
Before we left, my wife purchased an empty growler for me and a rubber bracelet to place on our vacation tree and found out that our waitress also displays a vacation tree during the holidays.
We left quite full and satisfied. Was a nice, friendly place. Can't say anything about their beers, we didn't come for them, we came to see the Grumpy Troll but never saw him, maybe on our next visit, if we are ever in the area.
Afterwards you can walk around the town and visit their shops and see their Trolls. We never made it to see all of them, some are inside of businesses, but they ones we did see were very cute and we took lots of pictures.
If traveling through or near, it's worth the time to stop and check them out and get a bite to eat at Grumpy.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I were off on a Monday and decided to head down to Mount Horeb to check this place out as we had heard good things. It was an okay visit, but not really worth the 1 hour drive it took us to get there.
First off, I would say this place is more restaurant than bar or brew pub. When we walked in we noticed that the smallish bar was full, we had to ask the hostess if we could sit at a table by the window since they all had reserved signs on them. She asked if we were going to be eating or just having drinks. Well, we were planning on eating, so we were able to sit down.
I was hoping to get an education on the beers and brewing style since I am an avid fan of craft beer, but the only info was a small blurb on a table top flip menu. The brewing setup is way in the back, behind more tables which were occupied by diners, so I really couldn't even see much of the brewery. The first beer I tried was the Hop Loppa IPA which was good. My wife ordered wine, which was also okay. No wow factor yet.
Then we ordered our meal. I decided on the Mushroom and Swiss burger and chips, and ordered the burger med rare. It showed up almost well done, and was actually burnt on one side. The blackened meat really ruined what little taste was left. The chips were good, and the portion was decent.
My wife ordered the two piece fish and chips. I am going to try to upload a picture, because for the price $9.95 she literally received what appeared to be two fish sticks, and a good handful of fries. The fish sticks are just barely larger than the fries. Very disappointing, although they tasted good.
We then ordered another round of drinks, this time I asked for the Grumpy Crick APA. The description said that it was hoppy but wasn't too bitter. It also said it was a copper color which was interesting since most APA's are on the lighter side. When it showed up, I had to ask if she poured me the correct beer. It was indeed very light yellow, with major haze. The beer tasted fine, but it was definitely no where near a copper color, and was not incredibly hoppy. If there was cascade in there, it was not very fresh. Don't get me wrong this wasn't a bad beer, it was light and refreshing, it just was an average APA.
We finished up with some dessert, a deep fried snicker bar. It was served with ice cream and whip topping. The bar itself wrapped in a almond based coating. Good, but very rich. Plan on sharing it with two or three or more people.
All in all not a bad place if your passing through the area, but not worth going out of your way for unfortunately.