“great hotel great town”
Review of Village Inn Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Horeb
Village Inn Motel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Mount Horeb
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We were traveling to Wisconsin for business in Barneveld and wanted to combine some fun so we picked the town of Mount Horeb. What a great idea. This little hotel is just perfect if you are looking for a safe quiet place. No big hotel frills just clean comfortable rooms . We became friends the owner , Ed, and his friend and staff Greg who showed us his Troll carvings behind the hotel. Trolls are a big part of the fun in this little town which has a nice little downtown with antique shops, book stores and the like. Thanks Mount Horeb and Village Inn for a great stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
littlebedder, Owner at Village Inn Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2015

Great review! Safe quiet place and clean comfortable rooms. Perfect!

There are newer reviews for Village Inn Motel

Reviewed 6 October 2009

We were on a weekend trip with no real destination in mind. We knew that we wanted to go on a tour of the Cave on the Mound (would highly reccomend) and got into the area too late to make the last tour. We were fortunate to stumble upon the Village Inn.

We arrived on a Saturday afternoon and I originally booked for one night. We liked it so much we ended up staying two. The owner was very friendly and even took me to see the room before I committed. When I said we'd take it, she turned the heat on for us so it would warm up while we checked in. We stayed in a one queen room. The owner was very helpful with dinner reccomendations, etc. The office is open from 8 AM-10 PM, but you usually have to ring a buzzer as the door is locked. The owners live on site and they obviously take pride in the motel and grounds.

Our room was decent sized. Certainly not huge, but very comfortable for two of us. While the room was somewhat dated (the paneled walls, etc), it was absolutely spotless. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen an older bathroom with tile so clean. The chairs were fun-they are gold and look older but are in great shape. The bed was very comfortable. My husband and I always argue over the temperature, but there was an extra blanket in the room. The TV is digital and it was fine for what we needed/wanted. We like that high speed internet was also available free of charge.

We were in an end room and did hear some street noise, but nothing that disturbed us. Also, it's a motor lodge type motel so you can hear the car doors shutting,etc. Again, it is very slight and since the office closes at 10, there's not a lot of late night activity. None of this disturbed us in the least bit.

The bathroom was spotless, but small. The shower is a stall and there's not a whole lot of room in the corner where the toilet is. I am a larger person and was fine, but could be a little tight. There was no plug in the bathroom, but there were several by the desk with the mirror out in the room.

This is a no frills motel, you don't get fancy toiletries, there's no vending machine or ice, but if you are looking for a safe, clean motel at a decent price, then this is the perfect place.

We loved the charm of this motel. In fact, we would make a trip to Mt. Horeb just for a weekend getaway to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank travling4fun

We do live on site and we do take pride in the motel and grounds. Thanks for noticing.
The reason we close the office at 10 is to keep the late night activity to a minimum.
Thanks for a great review.

Reviewed 14 April 2009

Stayed two nights in the two-bed suite for a little girls' getaway. While I've heard the other rooms are very efficient in size, this one was pretty generous enough (except for a tiny bathroom). The furnishings and such were certainly dated, but in good condition and everything was extremely clean. It's right on the trail, and a reasonable walk to the restaurants downtown. Just don't expect much for amenities...no shower toiletries, local TV channels only, etc.

The two-bed suite is in its own separate building along with the kitchenette suite. Would certainly book both together for a larger group.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank MNJoy
littlebedder, Owner at Village Inn Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2015

Thanks for the great review. We clean with safe products and have added shower toiletries.

Reviewed 18 October 2008

I stayed at the Village Inn recently and found the motel to be just what I was looking for. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly, and the room was very clean. I'll be back for sure!

• Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank Mizz06

Thanks for the great review and high marks.

Reviewed 14 October 2008

I have returned again to this quaint little town and the best stay in Mt. Horeb! I always look forward to my comfy room with the kitchenette at this home-away-from-home motel. I am never disappointed when I stay, not in any season that I travel here. The rooms are always clean and quiet and now they have DTV with a good selection of channels to keep me entertained. I really appreciate the family ownership, living on the property in their house, as it adds a level of safety for me as a single traveller. I like that the office closes at 10:00 pm which keeps the late-nighters, or party-goers, from cruising the motel for rooms at midnight or later. I've never seen or heard parties here late or any mischief in the parking lots. It really is a family, homestyle motel. The owners were as friendly and funny as usual. This town is just a gem and I look forward to stocking up on mustards at the Mustard Museum and finding just the right chocolate at Sjolinds. Sjolinds has the best latte's that I have found anywhere, an art! So, keep up the good work, it is appreciated!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Utt

Thanks for the great review. We appreciate it.

Reviewed 16 September 2008

We were in town for the Brewfest and were looking for a nice place to stay. We didn't want anything too far away from the park because after drinking all day we would have liked to walk. This didn't happen. When I called the Chamber they told me there were 2 places to stay nearby and that they wouldn't recommend the other one. So I called the Village Inn. On AAA maps it showed that the motel is 1.2 miles from the park so we thought we could walk it. When we got there it was more like 2 miles away. There is a hiking trail right behind the motel and that would have cut off about 1/4 of a mile but it was raining that day so that wasn't an option. We tried to check in a little after 10am, which is their check out time and one of our 3 rooms was clean. That was okay as long as one was done we could use the bathroom and store out stuff. We went to the brewfest and returned around 9:30 pm after spending some time downtown. Incidently, the bars downtown are a blast. The room is quite outdated. The only thing that has been brought up to date is the TV. Although, here we are not far from Madison, we couldn't get the Badger football game on any of the TV channels. The bed takes up most of the room. Getting up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night was like going around an obstacle course. The bathroom is very, very, very small. There is an old smell to the room also. It is by the highway but we had the air on all night to shut out any of the sounds. The rooms are so close together that you can hear some of what is going on next door. However, the people were very friendly to us when checking in and plenty of parking in front of the rooms. I did have a problem with my back the next day because the mattress seemed old. My husband thought the pillows were very flat, but I didn't think so. This is such a great little town that I think it would do very well to have another option close by for lodging. We paid $75 with tax and I don't think it was quite worth it.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk

Thanks for the review. We appreciate you input.

Reviewed 24 August 2008

Well.. first off. .i didnt actually stay here. so as far as i know. the rooms themselves are fine. but im not sure. i was turned away.

my girlfriend and i drove 8 hours from windsor ontario canada to visit frank lloyd wrights taliesin in spring green wi. we arrived at about 10:45pm in mt horeb planning on staying at the village in.

When we arrived it was shut down but there were only about 5 cars in the parking lot. the lights were on in the office and there was a door bell that stated "ring bell for service" but the sign said "closed"

since we had been on the road for such a long time and we were in the middle of nowhere wisconsin i rang the bell. The owner came out to the door and stated they were closed. i explained how we had drivin so long and we were extremly tired. and i was hoping i could get a room. she then stated she was closed again! i asked if they were all full.. she said no, but they were closed for the night.

well i cant belive an inkeeper would turn away 2 tired travelers. i kept asking for a room.. but she would not give me one. we then had to turn back to verona and get a room there.

i wouldnt never ever give this lady my money. stay at the motel 8 in verona instead.. its basic but clean and they were friendly and gave us a room.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank shaner790
littlebedder, Owner at Village Inn Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Sorry your spontaneous arrival after hours didn't work out. We do have a late check-in procedure that works, if you call and let us know that you are coming. Our hours are from 8am-10pm. We close down the register and credit card processor at 10pm. Our regular guests tell us that they like the quiet after 10pm and we do too.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Horeb
Deer Valley Lodge & Golf
#1 of 1 in Barneveld
Super 8 Verona/Madison
Fairfield Inn & Suites Madison Verona

Been to Village Inn Motel? Share your experiences!