“Worth the visit”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Lakewood Zoo
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I have a cottage in the Lakewood area and have gone past this zoo many a times since it opened but never stopped. My brother-in-law had been there and told us it was worth the trip. So my husband and I went there in August 2011. It was $6 per person. The zoo is not large but worth the $6. They have many large cats and at the time they had 8 baby tiger that were born from 2 of the tigers they recently aquired from a facility that could no longer care for them. I do agree that some of the enclosures seem a bit small for some of the tigers, however they seemed to be content. They appeared well fed and the enclosures were very clean. I've seen some blog posting online where one of the facilities in TX where some of the animals came from is angry with the way this zoo aquired the animals. It seems like a he said she said case. What is really important is these animals seem to be well cared for and that is really all that matters. I will be re-visiting this zoo the 2nd weekend in October to see the babies and they have a haunted zoo thing going on in October.

1  Thank Lynn K

Reviewed 18 October 2010

I was just there and spoke with owner of the Lakewood Zoo. He is self funded and does this out of passion. The reason there are fireworks is because he apparently owned a buiness in that field and recently sold it. Sale of the business created this zoo. Yes you will see some fireworks and other things in the gift shop there. They sell a variety of things to support these animals, which have been rescued from tragic situations. The white tiger is being well tended to. Her previous owners kept her in a mall circus wagon cage and her paws were burned from urine.
What you will see is a small town zoo and the cages are well kept; however you will smell the animals because they are ANIMALS and you can get that close to them. You will see goats and rabbits freely wandering around, you will see fresh water for drinking and well kept concrete ponds for the tigers to play in. There is nothing wrong at this zoo. It is more of a rehab facility and continues to expand. I have animals of my own and live very close to the famous Jo-Don Farms and know the cost of upkeep, maintenance, food, shelter - Bravo to this family and his rescuing efforts.

8  Thank crzy4u2