“Poor quality, poor service, racist owner”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mukwonago
Reviewed 11 October 2006

On Saturday September 16, 2006 I rented the 'party room' (may also be known as the conference room) at the Sleep Inn in Mukwonago, WI for my daughter's 14th birthday party at the rate of $149.99 per night. We arrived at 2:00pm, the condition of the room left much to be desired, the sliding bathroom door did not close, the chairs in the room were soaked, and there were bugs in the bathroom and in two corners of the main room. I contacted the front desk clerk about our concerns she indicated that she would notify the manager when he arrived. I contacted the desk later that evening and she indicated that the manager had not yet arrived and that there was nothing she could do. The next morning as I was loading up my vehicle I was confronted in the hallway by the manager. He indicated that my daughter and/or her friends had damaged two table covers the previous evening and that I would be charged for them. I asked him when this happened and did he know for sure the damage was caused by the girls in our room and he indicated that they were not like that the previous day and it had to be the girls that did the damage. I told the manager that if the girls had caused damage that I would address it and would take care of it. I then asked him about our room concerns and he just walked away. When I went to check out of the room (10:16am), the manager told me that 'my kind' was not welcome in his hotel and I should not return. His exact words were "we don't want your kind here, you are not welcome back at this hotel." I am a Hispanic female. He then proceeded to tell me that he was charging me $200 for the table covers, yes, that was in addtion to the $149.99 for the filthy room with the wet seats, bugs and bathroom door that wouldn't close. I asked him how he came up with that figure and he indicated that the charge is for a complete new set as they are a matched set. The table covers are 4' square pieces of vinyl with a ¼" sewn edge. I told him that it was unfair to charge me for a complete set when there were only two covers damaged and he could not confirm that my girls were the ones that had caused the damage. Because of his racist remarks and blatant attempt to take advantage of me I was no longer willing to pay for damages that he could not prove were made by the girls staying in my room. I told him that I would not authorize the $200 charge. When I asked him why he never addressed my concerns about the condition the room was in when I checked in the previous morning he stated "it's a party room it's supposed to be like that" At 11:15am I returned to the hotel with my husband, we photographed the covers and noticed that all 5 covers were aged, soiled through the back & the vinyl fabric on top was ripped or nicked in several areas on all covers. I had then asked the manager if he had charged his previous customers for damages as it was obvious that there was 'damage' to the other 3 covers as well. He did not respond. He once again made reference to not wanting 'my kind' in his hotel. After searching the Internet I found at least one other client of this hotel with similar complaints, it appears that this owner makes a habit of providing poor accommodations and attempting to over charge their customers. Buyer beware, I know it's not always possible to check out the establishment before you stay there but do your research before you book. Had I seen the other reviews online I would have opted for another hotel in the area.

• Stayed: September 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank bfelske

A TripAdvisor Member
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 December 2005

I reserved the conference room at the Sleep Inn of mukwonago for the date of December 18 2005 for a 6 hour period, 11:00 a.m. to 5:00p.m. The room was rented for a small family gathering for Christmas. Mukwonago was chosen due to easy location for all family members. I felt that everything went fine. A few small things that needed attention the bathroom door in the conference room was not working well unless you pulled hard down on it while closing. The extra tables that were in the closet, we needed to clean all 4 of them prior to using them for our sandwhiches, salads, and christmas cookies. But all in all we felt it was a good day. Exactly 1 week later on CHRISTMAS DAY December 25,2005, I received a call from BEN, an employee of the sleep Inn. At first I thought the call was because we possibly left something behind in the room. Well was I wrong! Ben proceded to inform me that I was going to be charged an additional fee on my charge card for alleged damages done to the pool. He informed me that we threw cake in the pool. WE DID NOT HAVE CAKE !! Then he said that we also threw mud in the pool, ABSOUTLEY NOT. This is wisconsin and the ground is frozen, we did not have mud anywhere, and the last thing he accused us of is pulling off the under water pool light leaving exposed wires. My nephew is 12 and he brought it to my attention during the stay that when he was undr the water with his goggles on that he saw that the light was loose. I informed him to leave it alone. This is totally absurd. I am very upset at the accusations being made against us. We did nothing wrong nor did we damage any property. I have also reported this to the chamber of commerce in Mukwonago. PLEASE BE WARNED SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT WITH THE SLEEP INN OF MUKWONAGO. I would like to know why they waited a whole week before calling me if there was anything in question, and why was NOTHING said to me during the check out period when she ran my charge card through. I am very upset and disappointed at the way this matter was handled. I have done nothing wrong, and i will not pay for damages that we did not do. It would have been nice for the manager/owner to call us and not on Christmas day either. Please be warned that you may be wrongfully accused. Be smart take pictures or better yet use a higher quality facility.

• Stayed: December 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mukwonago
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#1 of 2 in East Troy
Baymont Inn & Suites Waterford/Burlington WI
La Quinta Inn & Suites Milwaukee SW New Berlin
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Milwaukee-New Berlin
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Milwaukee West (Brookfield)
La Quinta Inn & Suites Milwaukee Delafield

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!