“typical branded hotel, READ before you sign anything!”

Riverwalk Hotel Downtown Neenah
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Neenah
Muskegon, Michigan
“typical branded hotel, READ before you sign anything!”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I had reserved online through holiday inn's website and am eligible and received the federal government rate for active duty military. When I arrived, they attempted to have me sign the hotel agreement with a rate 20.00 more per night for two rooms and 4 nights, which would have been an overcharge of 160.00 for our stay had I not been attentive. The staff was friendly enough and pleasant to deal with, offering us bottled waters and freshly baked cookies. The hotel is an older property but seems well maintained. The pool was great and ope 24 hrs was a bonus! The hot tub was clean spacious although one day we all left after just a bit due to chlorine fumes burning our eyes. My chief complaint is the parking situation, which is small to say the least. and at times there are signs saying only certain event parking is allowed, which is confusing. There were no real wow moments, but we were there for the Rock USA (rip off) music festival, just looking for clean and adequate. The property is located right down town, so it is convenient (walking distance) to several bars and restaurants. There is a restaurant attached so no free breakfast like the Holiday Inn Express brand. On my next trip to this area, I will stay at a different hotel just for a change, but would recommend this hotel to the weary traveler or someone coming to Neenah. Appleton is just north and Oshkosh is just south, both larger and with more options.

Room Tip: The "executive" room we were upgraded to had a microwave, the only difference and not wort...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Laura D, General Manager at Riverwalk Hotel Downtown Neenah, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your feedback is so important to our improvement, and to how we make a great hotel, guests love. We strive to provide exceptional customer service, cleanliness, value and a well cared for product. I have made the system corrections to ensure the wrong price does not display again. We are taking action with our weekend parking signage to prevent an unpleasant experience for future guests. Thank you for sharing your concerns or insights, please know that I will take them seriously and 'to heart'.
Laura D.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Nice place to stay.

The in-room wifi was good, high speed internet.

Breakfast was great. It is not a buffet style breakfast, you have to order from the menu.

Free hotel shuttle from the airport.

There is a bathtub in the bathroom.

Coffee maker is available in room, but no kettle to boil the water for yourself. However, you can get some free drinking water, fruites, coffee or tea and cookies near the hotel lobby.

Room Tip: not available
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank datin_tan
Laura D, General Manager at Riverwalk Hotel Downtown Neenah, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
I would like to thank you for sharing your positive experience and for helping us make a great hotel, guests love! You’ve wonderfully described the atmosphere of our hotel! We do have complimentary hot water, tea and coffee in the lobby available 24 hours for your convenience. We look forward to your next stay with us!
Gladstone, Michigan
Reviewed 2 June 2013

This hotel is also called the "Holiday Inn Riverwalk" in case any of you have heard that name being tossed around.

I booked this hotel 'blind' through Priceline.com, and had no idea which hotel I was going to be put in until my bid was accepted. I had initially selected "Appleton Area" because I was going with a friend for an overnight of shopping and dinner. I was a little shocked when I was placed in a Neenah hotel. It's only about a 16 minute drive to the Fox River Mall, but still it wasn't what I expected.

Getting to the hotel:
What a headache!! It was partially difficult because it was dusk when we finally were searching for the hotel, but it's smack-dab in the center of a busy downtown area with chaotic street traffic. You have to drive awhile in an area where you are thinking "this doesnt seem right for a holiday inn?!" The hotel sneaks up on you after you round a corner and we practically missed it. The parking is a mess- there are 2 parking lots that aren't connected and it took us a few minutes just to figure out how to get to the right one.

The room:
We had a basic double bed room. The room was clean and the beds and tv were new... but that was about all that was new. You can really tell that the bones of this hotel (and the walls/carpet/etc) are dated. The nice bedding and pillows is what saved the room from a poor rating- I slept well and that's all that matters I suppose.

The pool:
The pool area is 24hrs for adults, which is wonderful. We were there on a Friday night and there were only 3 other people in there when we were. It's not a super large area, but sufficient. The water temperatures seems about right- not excessively hot or cold.

The staff:
We had no issues to report to the staff, but standard check in/out was easy and quick. We did request pillows, and they were brought up right away.

The restaurant:
For this price-point, I was very disappointed that there wasn't a free breakfast. The menu was decent, but expect to spend about $10 per adult for breakfast here for something standard (not including beverages/coffee). The worst part was the wait. I don't think it was typical, as we were told that a party of 18 showed up unannounced right before us. From the time we ordered, we waited about 40 minutes for our breakfast... WAY too long. The food was good enough when we got it, but by that time we were so frustrated.

Overall: The hotel is fine if it were a 2-star hotel, but this is rated a 3-star on all the travel sites. At a normal rate of about $105/night I expect more. It's too hard to get to, too far away from all the shops/restaurants I want, no free breakfast, dated interiors. It seems good for maybe a wedding since they seem to have a big reception/convention area- but for the normal person- there are MANY better options.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tarah H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Riverwalk Hotel Downtown Neenah, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Dear tayrah,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the location, and surrounding area of the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your visit. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
WI - USA
Reviewed 27 May 2013

This was a nice little getaway for our family. We stayed on a Saturday night and was able to early check in at 1:00. Our room was nice sized with two full sized beds. This worked fine for us but may be a bit cozy for some. Thing to note here is they do have adjoining rooms which would a nice option for a family. Check in was professional and the front desk staff did a great job making sure we knew where everything was located ie. the restaurant, the pool and even informed us of the priority club refrigerator with complementary water for guests and the area where they provided free coffee and tea.
The hotel is located in the downtown area. What is nice that within walking distance are many quaint little shops, bars, restaurants and even an old fashioned ice cream shop. Also, within a short drive are two very nice lakefront parks. (Lake Winnebago) The parks are perfect for a family cookout or just relaxing.
The only bad about the hotel was the house keeping. The pool area had towels everywhere and the towel bin was not emptied from the previous day evidenced by it being totally filled and towels on the floor next to it. Empty water bottles and soda bottles were not picked up. Saying that, the pool area is bright and light filled, a very nice area to be in. The hot tub was hot and had good water action. Pool was a bit cold but still swimmable.
Housekeeping was also lacking in the room with food (broken cookies and broken chips) under the beds. When we opened the curtains to let in light you could see that someone had written their name on the glass when it had steam or been foggy. I did tell the front desk staff and felt their response was very good and they gave us a complimentary breakfast for our trouble. I am very confident they would have moved us if we had asked. Due to this quick and very sincere attitude, I do believe that management will correct this and future guests should not be concerned.
Breakfast was good and the prices were very reasonable. We did not stay for Sunday brunch but it looked outstanding and the price was a vaue at $12.95.
Final thoughts, I liked this hotel and will come again. I have to return and try the Sunday brunch and explore the quaint little downtown.

Room Tip: Nice sized rooms, comfortable beds but for families of four it might be a bit cozy with the full siz...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Laura D, General Manager at Riverwalk Hotel Downtown Neenah, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience! You’ve wonderfully described the atmosphere of our hotel and charming downtown location. The staff & management strive for excellence in not just providing service but a personalized experience for all our guests to make you feel at home. Please know that the Holiday Inn Neenah Riverwalk does hold itself to impeccable standards of cleanliness and service. There are no excuses for failing to meet your expectations. Be assured that we are taking actions based on your stay to prevent a similar unpleasant experience for you and future guests. We recognize the importance of your business to our reputation; and, we are committed to making our guest visits exceptional.

Our Champagne Sunday Brunch is very popular with our guests and the community—for the price you are unlikely to find anything else like it in the Fox Cities. Thank you so much for the thoughtfulness of your comments; we look forward to your next stay with us!
Victoria, Texas
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I would like to thank first of all the Shuttle driver who picked me up from the airport and took me to Target to get me some clothes since my luggage was left in Chicago. He went out of his way to do this.

Next I would REALLY like to thnak Kayla @ the Front desk who brought me my luggage when it arrived . She also took it to my room since I was still in my meetings. She took time away from the frontdesk to do this specially for me.

Next I want to THANK Shawn in Housekeeping for cleaning my room and going out of her way to prepare my coffee pot so I could brew my coffee when I got back to my room.

The Holiday Inn Neenah Riverwalk wasa very clean. All the workers were very nice and showed concern about my lost luggage. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is the Neenah area.
GREAT JOB HOLIDAY INN.

Room Tip: I was in room 717 and it ws excellent. Greay bed.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Laura D, General Manager at Riverwalk Hotel Downtown Neenah, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Thank you so much for the thoughtfulness of your comments. You’ve wonderfully described the atmosphere of our hotel & staff, we have an extraordinary team! We strive to create a personalized experience for all our guests by providing genuine service to make you feel at home. I have shared your comments with our shuttle driver, Kayla, Shaun & the entire team. We look forward to your next stay with us!
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Older building kept up nicely. Beautiful city with cool little downtown stretch with coffee, pubs and retail- all within a block of the hotel. Room was clean but bathroom shower showing usual bit of age. Didn't notice when booking reservation - two full beds (not queen) which made things cramped for this family of four.

Room Tip: Double check bed size.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
You’ve wonderfully described the atmosphere of our hotel and community. We care a lot about our hotel. Our team strives to provide exceptional customer service, cleanliness, value and a well cared for product. Our excellent location in Neenah's historic downtown provides many great events throughout the summer wit h concerts in the park and the wonderful farmers market across the street. Thank you so much for the thoughtfulness of your comments; we look forward to your next stay with us!
Beaver dam, WI
Reviewed 28 April 2013

This is not a bad place to stay at. THe staff was very friendly and I did take a lot of photos of the facility. It is also a nice location to be right downtown Neenah. I also liked the bar and had a couple of drinks. I also enjoyed my meal. I also had a relaxing time sitting in the whirlpool. My room was on the top floor and I could get a good view of the city of Neenah. I could also see the Fox RIver at the hotel, and I also liked the large flat screen TV. I may stay here again someday if I am in the area again.

Room Tip: Rooms are very quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Paul W
Thank you so much for the thoughtfulness of your comments. You’ve wonderfully described the atmosphere of our hotel & staff; we truly have an extraordinary team! We care a lot about our hotel; and, we care even more about treating every guest with genuine respect and hospitality. I have shared your feedback with our entire team! At the Holiday Inn Neenah Riverwalk it is your stay, your way!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Neenah
Best Western Premier Bridgewood Resort Hotel
#10 of 25 in Appleton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton
Wingate by Wyndham Appleton
Hampton Inn Appleton-Fox River Mall Area

Been to Riverwalk Hotel Downtown Neenah? Share your experiences!