Super 8 Neillsville WI
US$100
US$90
US$80
ComfortInn
Best Western Arrowhead Lodge & Suites(Black River Falls)(Great Value!)
US$73
US$56
US$121
US$116
TripAdvisor
All reviewspool and hot tuba nice place to staygas stationair conditionerdefinitely stay here againmotelshopkowicleanliness
Reviewed 16 January 2008

The rooms were clean, no odor, temperature was easy to make ideal.. Showers and sinks were very clean. Neer ran out hot water. the staff promptly answered every question we had and helped us with anything we needed.

the motel was sold out but there was no noise heard.

would definetely recommend without reservation
Jim

Stayed: December 2007
Reviewed 7 November 2006

We had an awesome stay.

It is a new hotel with awesome staff.

I can't wait to go back

• Stayed: October 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 30 August 2006

If you like good customer service, electricity, hot water or sensitivity toward the needs of the handicapped, the Super 8 Motel in Neillsville, Wis., owned by Tom and Tina Silbernagel is NOT a place you want to stay.

We had an awful experience in what should have been a simple one-night stay:
* We made a reservation online and received a confirmation form and number, with "Confirmation: Success." We just happened to call ahead of time to see if we could bring a pet, only to discover from desk clerk Cheryl that they didn't have our reservation. I shared the confirmation number with her and she stated simply, "We ONLY accept reservations from Super 8. That's not even one of our confirmation numbers. We're sold out that night." After I argued, she not only miraculously found us a room, she already knew our address information (which would have been submitted online. She said, "I see you're a Triple A member." I replied, no, we're not AAA members.

* Upon arrival, they did have a room reserved, but it was on the second floor. The added surprise was … no elevator … and handrails on only one side of the stairs. I'll spare you the details of how my disabled husband had to get to and from our room up the two-flight staircase. Even for those who have large suitcases, it would be a hazard getting to the second floor.

* We went out for the evening, came back to hear a voicemail from the front desk asking to see our AAA card. I called down to say we're not AAA members, that I shared that clarification when I called. "Well, OK ………….." was the hesitant response, as if we were trying to pull some wool over her eyes.

* The icing on the cake, however, was the early morning power outage. At 7:30, all power went out. A squirrel met his demise on a transformer. Not much a hotel manager can do in a situation like that, other than try to console customers. Instead, manager Tammie wasn't even in the hotel to talk with patrons. There was a group of people gathered in the breakfast dining area, asking each other what happened, who was in charge, and sharing tales of woe from their previous stays in this hotel. One person said when she stayed last February, there was no hot water.

When the manager did return inside, she didn't address the group, just went behind the counter to do paperwork. The group began asking her what happened, and she it was a squirrel. When one patron asked if she expected power to return soon, she guffawed, "No. Not in this po-dunk town! We'll be lucky if they even get to it today.” Another told Tammie, “When we stayed here in February, there was no hot water!” Tammie’s response? “Wait until you see what we do next time.” I actually thought it was funny at first. Maybe even clever. But in hindsight, I think she might have been serious.

While listening to the exchange, I filled up two coffee cups, trying to get it while it was still lukewarm, but no luck. I was going to make toast, but no electricity for the toaster. I settled for cereal, which turned out to be extremely stale and the milk already warm. Heading back to our room, I asked what I was supposed to tell my husband, who now could not dry his hair or charge a battery used for an automated device for his left arm, which is paralyzed.

"It's not MY fault," she said. "I don't know what you expect me to do." Please remember, this is the MANAGER speaking to a customer like this.

When we checked out about 30 minutes later, I approached the counter and said, "I assume you're giving people some kind of discount."

Her reply: "For …..……?"

I said I realized that the power outage was not her fault, but the fact remains that we didn't get what we paid for. Essentially, we checked into a hotel without a TV, no use of an iron, no air conditioning, no breakfast, no coffee. We might as well have gone camping. “Yes,” she laughed. She then quickly stated, "It was an act of God," which, I assume is listed in some textbook for managers on when to give discounts, and when not to give discounts.

She said, “Well, you’re already getting an AAA discount.”

“Just check us out,” I said. Her reply: “We’ll mail you your receipt.” She did holler ‘THANK YOU!’ as I stormed out the front door of the hotel. Also a key point in the textbook, I imagine.

As you can guess, with every exchange, I got more irritated. Never once was there even an apology. It not only transcended horrible customer service, but it was downright rude and disrespectful.

I’ve never written a complaint letter nor posted a review. I even waited until I received the receipt in the mail, giving them the benefit of a doubt of being remotely savvy. Since there are only 29 total rooms at the hotel, maybe they’d include a note of apology with each. It would have taken an extra 30 minutes or so to jot a note on each bill, ‘Sorry for the power outage … so is the squirrel.’

No apology. Just the receipt for payment in full with even more salt for the wound … a extra $2 charge for “Fuel/Energy” and a pre-printed note at the bottom in all caps: “Thank you for staying with us. We hope you enjoyed your sta and look forward to serving you again in the future. Tom, Tina and Tammie.”

You can bet I’m going to share this tale again and again to keep other people from having to endure this poor excuse of a hotel.

Stayed: August 2006