“Awesome Hiking”

Chippewa Moraine Ice Age State Recreation Area
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This place has a great interpretive center, helpful and friendly park rangers and long and interesting hiking trails. Take the mosquito repellent, though, if you go during the warm months of the year. The mosquitos were relentless on our hike!

All reviews
in 9 reviews
in 5 reviews
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 12 September 2013

I did the Circle hike, which includes a portion of the Ice Age trail. The guy at the visitor center told me that the mosquitoes had calmed down from earlier in the summer. I made sure to spray on repellent before I went onto the trail.

The trail is pretty and has a number of nice views of the "kettles" that are formed from receding glaciers (you learn about that in the visitor center). It's an easy trail with a little elevation. Trail is well-marked and easy to follow. You have to cross the main road twice, but there's not much traffic.

You enter the trails behind the visitor center. As soon as you go into the trees, the mosquitoes start on you. And they never let up until you exit the trees. I tried to keep up a high pace to outrun them, but it's not possible. There's always more. I even got a picture of one when he flew in front of the camera as I was trying to get a picture. He photobombed my picture.

The repellent did work, but my sweat must have washed some of the protection off. I got about 4 bites on my head. They obviously went right through my hair. Savages. Worst mosquito encounter of my life.

I'd go back and hike this place again, but not without a hat, net, and full protection. By the way, the visitor center is free and the people are volunteers. I suggest donating the amount you would normally pay to visit a state park. They've done a nice job with their exhibits.

1  Thank Rick W
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Based upon the scenery alone I would give this place 6 stars. A small but interesting visitor center with several medium length hiking trails.

We went during the Summer and hiked the Dry Lake Trail. The forest you hike through is amazing - but when we went during the Summer it was absolutely loaded with bugs. Most of the hikes intertwine through small lakes, and that means standing water, and that means mosquitos -LOTS of mosquitos. Someone who had lived in the area warned us so we used a lot of bug spray but for almost and hour we were surrounded by a buzzing swarm of mosquitos. We could rarely stop to rest or take photos in fear of the swarm landing on us. At another point of the hike you come out of the forest and walk through some beautiful rolling hills - but in the Summer time there were ticks in the high grass. We each had to pick several off several ticks from our shoes and socks.

So an amazing, beautiful place that during the Summer is pretty much ruined by being over-run with bugs. I would love to return in the Fall when the cool weather kills off all the mosquitos and ticks.

1  Thank TexasTraveller56
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Get your butt moving & get outside!!
This place is worth the drive. It is truly beautiful here. They have activities for the kids and adults both, the volunteers seem to truly LOVE being there, they are so helpful and eager to share their love of the great outdoors!!

2  Thank 19Suze59