“A Charming & Comfortable Stay”
Review of Lucky Dog Farmstay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Glarus
Lucky Dog Farmstay
Des Moines, Iowa
“A Charming & Comfortable Stay”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I found the Lucky Dog online and was intrigued by the word "farmstay." Definitely not you typically bed and breakfast and I loved that! The property was rustic and charming. Feeding the goats was the highlight of my whole New Glarus trip. Such a cool experience! LeAnn and Lori were gracious hosts and I enjoyed hearing tidbits of info about the area from LeAnn during breakfast. The room was comfortable and we enjoyed relaxing there at night with complimentary New Glarus beer and yummy cookies. The breakfast was beyond delicious and I appreciate LeAnn and Lori's commitment to local and organic foods. I'm already planning a trip back in my head and can't wait to see the goats again :)

Room Tip: We stayed in the Rindy Room, which shares a bathroom with the other upstairs suite. It was comfortab...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Laura Catherine C

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Apalachin, New York
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Let me start by saying that this is Lucky Dog Farmstay, Not the Plaza. You will be staying on a farm. They have goats, dogs, cats , chickens and Pigs, The House is well maintained and the host was very friendly. We only met one host. The breakfast was delicious and the first time we ever had French Toast pudding. We didn't know what to expect but it was great. It was very cool when we opened the door to our bedroom in the Morning to be greeted by their two dogs. We stayed in the downstairs room, it had a separate bathroom. Bed was comfortable and the bathroom clean. Water pressure was very good, It was nice to walk around the property and you really felt right at home. Free New Glarus Beer!!! The town of New Glarus is only about 2 miles away. We would definitely stay here again. They are continuing to improve the property. I would try and figure out away to get the shower curtain around the tub to be more ridged as to not rub up against you as you take a shower. We loved the view from the driveway as you leave.

3 Thank GentleBendustypaws
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My husband, brother-in-law and I decided to spend some time in New Glarus/Monroe area as a brief stop on our way from Chicago to Minneapolis and we definitely do not regret it!

This place was amazing!! The couple that run it are fantastic and make you feel right at home. It was very laid back and relaxed. This was our first Bed & Breakfast and we were very pleasantly surprised by how free we felt to move around the space and how comfortable it was.

The house is very clean – I have very bad cat allergies and even though there were two cats there I didn’t have any problems (much to my surprise)!! The whole place is gorgeous – newly painted, creaky hardwood floors, renewly re-done bathroom on the top floor. Really wonderful.

They have a fridge stocked with New Glarus beer that is complimentary for guests. They had homemade cookies on the table for us as well as some packaged Annie’s snacks. They serve breakfast (included!) which was delicious! They made French Toast Bread Pudding and had a selection of meats & cheeses and fruit. Plenty of food and coffee for everyone. They are also very accommodating for dietary restrictions (as my brother-in-law and I are vegetarians). Even though their website says that they will be serving dinner in 2012, we went in 2013 and they weren’t offering dinner yet. The town is pretty close by with a car and they have plenty of places to eat there so that isn’t really a problem

We had to two upstairs rooms and another family had the bottom room. There were TVs in both of the rooms (I think they both had cable). The two upstairs rooms share a bathroom that is in the hallway. They also have window units in all the rooms for air conditioning. The owners slept in a separate building that is just a few feet away – I believe this is where they have Yoga classes as well.

The farm is pretty isolated, which is wonderful. All you hear is the sound of bugs and the wind and the occasional car.

They had mowed some paths through their property so we took a long walk through there. The paths go really far and the walk is beautiful!! Definitely make sure you bring good, closed shoes though because it can get a little prickly (though they did offer to let me borrow some shoes!). They also had bug spray for us to use since it does get pretty buggy at night.

We got to pet the goats – they had a bunch of 3 month old goats and they were super friendly and sweet! They have pigs as well, but you can’t pet those. Their dog, Cedar, is very friendly and sweet.

We went back out at night and the whole property was filled with lightning bugs which was really magical. We watched the sun set and could actually see stars!!

The farm is wonderful and quiet and the owners are very friendly and welcoming. For what you get the price cannot be beat either! I would highly recommend coming here!!

Room Tip: Upper rooms are more private and larger. The Wilde room has the most windows and is the biggest. The...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Alex M
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 May 2013

If you're an animal lover (and even if you're not), Lucky Dog Farmstay is a cute, clean, and very well-maintained and beautiful property. Owners Lori and LeAnn are very accommodating and make you feel at home the instant you walk in the door. The two resident "lucky dogs" make you feel quite special as well! The farmhouse is quite old and historic, but absolutely beautiful with touches of modern charm and convenience. We stayed in the Lindy Room, which shares a bathroom with the Joshua Wild Room, and it was the perfect size, overlooking the goat farm and the gorgeous rolling countryside. We had a FABULOUS home-grown breakfast the next day...not your typical bacon & eggs breakfast, setting it apart from other bed and breakfast stays in my opinion.

If you're looking for a comfortable and unique weekend stay while checking out what New Glarus and surroundings have to offer, look no further than Lucky Dog!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank FullOfWanderlust
Ames, IA
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I had the pleasure of spending two nights here, with my spouse and two other friends, while visiting New Glarus for a fundraising festival. Lori and LeAnn made us all feel welcome. Freshly baked cookies were offered in the evening and both breakfasts that we had were delicious.

Our rooms were upstairs and shared a spacious bathroom. Our bed was extremely comfortable and the room was decorated in a warm, homey style. We were welcome in sit near the wood stove in the living room or chat in the kitchen or around the dining room table.

We were performing at a local renaissance faire and the weather conditions were horrible, with rain falling heavily both days. LeAnn strung a wire for us in the yoga studio, so that we could hang up our soaked skirts and cloaks - they also allowed us to leave our luggage at the B & B and come back and change and pack up when we were finished at the faire - a really thoughtful gesture.

Lucky Dog Farm has only been in business a short while, and the farmhouse is being improved over time. Our stay was truly enjoyable and we simply cannot say enough nice things about our visit.

Anyone planning a visit to the Madison/Monroe/New Glarus area should consider staying here!

Room Tip: There are three roons to choose from - the two upstairs rooms share a bath and the downstairs room h...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Super 8 Verona/Madison
Springdale Inn
Springdale Inn
#1 of 1 in Verona

Been to Lucky Dog Farmstay? Share your experiences!