“One of the best Mom & Pop places”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Edge o' the Woods Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in New Lisbon
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I seldom do reviews but felt this needed to be said. I have traveled quite a bit and found this place to be great. Priced very reasonable and well kept. I do have to say reading reviews is rather upsetting. This is a Mom & Pop place and I can tell hear as well as other places the reviewers do not consider the establishment they are so eager to criticize. I imagine the job of keeping up a property for only two people is quite difficult with all the bedding, cleaning, and maintaining . This couple was great , friendly, and I could tell they would do anything for you. I was very pleased with the motel and will be back, that’s for sure. It is just unfortunate that nit picky reviews such as nic’s on the trim would down grade a true Mom & Pop place.
I would recommend this to any traveler like me that wants to help the small hotels that truly are getting to be fewer and fewer.

Room Tip: All the rooms look clean and well kept.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 289fast

Reviewed 9 April 2012

While doing some traveling through the state, I decided to stop in a small town for the night. I was not disappointed. The owners were great, the rooms were clean and the whole property was well kept. Although the hotel was pretty well full that night, you couldn't hear your neighbor, and a whole group of people I had never met before ended up outside the rooms visiting and enjoying the weather. I would highly recommend this hotel for the value and the upkeep!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Jill B
Reviewed 25 July 2011

After a hot July Saturday in the Dells, myself and 2 other adults sadly found every hotel withing a 20 mile radius booked. The Edge o' the Woods was the closest/first place we found with a vacancy. But we weren't disappointed; the exterior looked well kept, the separate buildings were all quiet when we pulled up the they were able to accommodate the three of us with 2 queen beds and a pull out couch. Interior met our expectations too, bare-bones but everything you need for a good nights sleep. And though it's a little close to the interstate I can't say it bothered me with the door and window closed. Even the pull-out bed (although worn out) was fine for a night. Would I want to spend a weekend here on the property? Probably not but perfect for catching a quick 8 hours of sleep and hitting the road in the morning. They even had a pool and simple continental breakfast but we opted for a big meal at the Corner Cafe in downtown New Lisbon (which was phenomenal by the way).

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank lsalty75
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Usually when I look for a motel, I just want a place with clean sheets, a shower, and especially wifi. This place has wi-fi and I could get it, but its a weaker than usual signal. The place is very clean but you can see some wear and tear on the furniture and carpet. I came on friday, not sure if it counts for the weekend, but it came to $60 after taxes. You can hear the traffic from the interstate, but its far enough away your ac fan will cancel it out. overall im glad I found this place, much cheaper than a chain hotel, and really relaxing.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank 47,145
Reviewed 14 July 2009

If I could, I'd rate this a 2.5-- not poor, but just below average. The place is nicely convenient between Wisconsin Dells and the split of Interstates 90 and 94, and its "edge o'the woods" placement is inviting. But two downfalls of the motel's location, lack of upkeep of a spot-lighted amenity, and in inflexible rate policy left me with a less-than-glowing opinion of my one-night stay.

Pluses: even at full rate, it was inexpensive-- sub-US$50 for a single. Making a phone reservation was no problem. The much of the room was in new or in good repair. There were a few scuff marks on walls, base boards, and doors, but nothing appeared too shabby. The location is convenient for getting on/off the highway. There were picnic tables and park-style charcoal grills in several places throughout the property. The property is pet-friendly if that's a priority in your lodging choice. The small TV atop the dresser worked and had a reasonable slate of cable channels.

Minuses: innkeeper wouldn't honor a AAA rate, claiming an "event weekend," It turned out the motel was one-quarter full and there was no evidence in/around town of any event. The outdoor pool wasn't yet filled during the last weekend in June. The non-smoking room was obviously a former smoking room, as I could get faint but noticeable smells of stale smoke when I ran the AC. The doors face the freeway and you get the semi-constant whoosh of traffic. Finally, though it's tough to notice from most angles, the back side of the Edge O'the Woods is next to the 500-cell, medium-security New Lisbon Correctional Institutional Institution (a.k.a. a prison). While I didn't feel unsafe, I did feel a diminished experience.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo

Been to Edge o' the Woods Motel? Share your experiences!