“Don't bother staying here.”

Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Oconomowoc
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We did a girls spa night here but the spa was the only good thing about the place. The massage therapists there are awesome. I wouldn't waste any money staying here though. The hotel is seriously outdated. Our room smelled like it used to be a smoking room that was never washed down to get the tobacco residue off the walls. The trim on the bathroom door was missing and you could get slivers on the wood that holds the handicapped handle next to the toilet. The bar smelled like stale cigarette smoke and the service at Rick's was slower than molasses. The pool water temperature was comfortable but the bottom of the pool was peeling and felt like sandpaper when you walked on it. The pool area in general was in very poor repair as it had peeling paint and water stains on the ceiling. Throughout the hallways you could see water stains on the ceiling tile and some of them were sagging. I will not be recommending this hotel to anyone in the near future.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Syxepac
Sara L, Front Office Manager at Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is through feedback of our valued guests that we are best able to enhance our overall guest satisfaction. I have discussed your comments with the appropriate personnel to ensure they are corrected. I sincerely apologize for any less than satisfactory accommodations you have mentioned.

Sara L.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

This use to be a nice "girls spa getaway" spot but it's just horrible now! Tool my daughter for a birthday spa weekend and was totally disappointed. The only nice thing I can say is the room was clean and fresh. No Flat screen as described on website. As for the spa...they boast Sauna, Steam room, Eucalyptus room, whirlpool. Well, the steam room was out of order, the eucalyptus room had no heat and a 1/2 teaspoon of "Vick's vapor rub in a box on the wall. The sauna benches will give you splinters because they are so old and outdated. Dirty and dilapidated shower stalls. I spoke with a member of the club there and she said it has been going down hill fast and Rick, the owner won't spend the money to fix it up. After complaining we received free facials which were great. And the spa manager took the "out of order" signs of the doors, put some candles in the corners and burned some oils and put a sign on the door that read..."Eucalyptus Room:" What a joke! Rick, the owner can often be seen walking around the hotel but he chooses to ignore what's going on. Find another hotel!!!! I will!

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ana c
Sara L, Front Office Manager at Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear Ana,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I have forwarded your comments to the correct managers, to ensure that any challenges are corrected at once. We certainly strive to exceed guest expectations, and I sincerely apologize for having missed the mark during your most recent stay. I certainly hope that you are able to come back in the future and have the getaway of a lifetime.
Please contact me at any time if you would like to discuss your stay further.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Steer clear of this place. I'm sure it was once a great place (30 years ago). Stains on the comforter, peeling paint, paper thin walls, and nobody around. Nothing worse than getting out of the shower and feeling even dirtier. Pool is extra, no continental breakfast, shops are closed, hallways are cold and dark. Nothing, and i mean nothing good to say.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Natman22

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. It is through valued guest feedback that we are best able to enhance our overall guest experiences. It is certainly our main goal to exceed every guest's expectations, and I would like to apologize for having missed the mark during your most recent stay. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss your stay further.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

I usually only write about my experiences if they are either really good or really bad. We attended a trade show here Oct 2013. We were in what I believe was a renovated king room as it appeared to have new paint on the walls. For a renovation It surprised me the room was so dingy as the lobby of the resort and the public areas were not bad. The room experience began as we walked down the hall to the room ---which was a long walk and there was an odd smell... it kind of morphed into garlic bread, to smelly feet, to just this sweet smell... WE got into the room and boy was it dark, even in the daytime. Even with every lamp on, it was like a cave. The lighting by bathroom sink was even dim. Apparently when they did the walls there was overspray of the texture as it lined the entire edge room on the carpet.The rooms are nothing like they appear on the web site, no duvet , an old box tv on which every other channel was functioning when we were there. There was something missing that made the room feel stark. The lamp on the desk was by no means a work lamp but the shade was broken and had paint or something all over it.(see pic) No one even cared enough to replace it. The showerhead was dirty...There was a sign pricing out individual items in the room, (see pic if you think I am kidding) should you choose to purchase them, -- being that they were pretty dated, the sign was quite ironic and almost came off as snide.
It is not that the room was not clean when we got there, it was clean. There was just no attention to detail. A flat Screen Tv and some updated and brighter lighting would go a long way in these rooms. After our first night we assumed that after a long day at the trade show, we would return to clean room. We were wrong! It hadn't been touched. Other people attending the show relayed theirs had not been cleaned at all their first day. The housekeeping staff did show up after we had finished the trade show and had gone out and returned to the room for the night... but by that time the last thing we wanted to do was watch them clean. We just requested clean towels and let it be. I don't see why a guest should not be able to expect their room to be done before 5 pm. Unfortunately the room was the biggest disappointment of the stay.
We went to The Indigo bar our fist night --it was not what I would call overcrowded, the tables were not full, but it took over 25 minutes to get a drink. As we stepped up to the bar, the guy sitting there said, good luck, better order two with as long as they are taking. In defense of the staff, I think it was poor scheduling. Management had to know they had 300 people at that show and a large number of them would be staying there. They should have accommodated that with staffing. The pool was okay but a little worn down. I think my husband put it best when he said, this was probably a nice place at one time.
Overall, staff was good, the place as a whole was okay--but many areas were quite dark as well.
I had an excellent burger at Rick's, one of the best I've had. Even the buffet lunches for the show, were good. The rooms really let the resort down. I've been in better Super 8's When you hear Resort and Spa, you have some expectation of luxury... this just didn't fit that bill. Is it a good place to collapse after a long day at a trade show? Yes, it's fine...but I would not go here for a romantic weekend.

Room Tip: I would ask to see a room before they check you in to it, that is the only way to know what kind of...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ourbuck

Thank you for taking the time to share your review about the Olympia Resort. It is through feedback of our valued guests that we are best able to enhance our overall guest experiences. I am delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy a great meal at Rick's Cafe. I would like to apologize for any less than satisfactory accommodations that you have mentioned. We certainly strive to exceed each guest's expectations, and it is unfortunate that we missed the mark during your most recent stay. Please feel free to contact me at any time if you would like to discuss your stay further.

Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

Ugh. Hotel was extremely out dated. Staff at front desk were minimally attentive. Breakfast selection was pathetic. Breakfast buffet was highly overpriced, as were drinks in the bar. The only bright spot was the very nice young man working in the bar. Our room had areas were the carpet was torn, lights were nearly sideways on the walk, ac barely worked, water stains on ceiling, odd smell in room as to too it all off the room appeared to has been painted by kids, as there was paint slopped on the ceiling. Over priced!!

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Rachel,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on the Olympia Resort. I would first like to apologize for the less than satisfactory challenges you faced while staying as our guest. It is certainly our main priority to exceed all guest's expectations, and it is unfortunate that we missed the mark during your most recent stay. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss your stay further.

Yours In Service,

Reviewed 6 October 2013

The Olympia Resort is large on size, but outdated and showing its age. The peeling bathtub, older television, lack of hot tub all made for a less than ideal getaway. It did have a great amount of space for our larger group and the hotel bar was a plus.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on the Olympia Resort. It is through feedback of our valued guests that we are best able to enhance our overall guest experiences. I have forwarded your comments to the correct managers to be corrected at once. Please feel free to contact me at any time if you would like to discuss your stay further.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

This place is 40 to 50 years old and shows it. Wallpaper coming off main hallway walls, landscaping is very poor, Painted walls need, you guessed it, PAINT. Spa area is dirty, with whirlpool out of order, windows need washing, carpets need to be vacuumed, etc. etc. Basically this place needs much repair because it looks like maintenance is long overdue.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here try to get a third floor room, where it is less traveled and therefore cl...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jbell289
Sara L, Front Office Manager at Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

Dear jbell289,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your review of Olympia Resort. It is through feedback of our valued guests that we are best able to enhance our accommodations. Please be assured that I have directed your comments to the correct personnel to ensure these challenges are corrected at once. At this time, we are in the process of updating several areas of the resort. This will include the O~Spa area, guest rooms, banquet spaces, and more. If you wish to discuss your stay further please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Guest Services Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oconomowoc
Staybridge Suites Milwaukee West Oconomowoc
Hilton Garden Inn Oconomowoc
Days Inn Johnson Creek
Days Inn Johnson Creek
#2 of 2 in Johnson Creek
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Delafield
La Quinta Inn & Suites Milwaukee Delafield
Holiday Inn Express Delafield

Been to Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center? Share your experiences!