“Lots of potential...average hotel..very friendly staff!”

Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Oconomowoc
Coon Rapids, Minnesota
“Lots of potential...average hotel..very friendly staff!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

We checked in on Friday and was able to get immediately checked in. They arranged it so our friends were right across the hotel from us. There was a lot of people checking in so they got more racks for our luggage. It would have been nice to have a door man to help with luggage, but oh well. I thought the entry was was beautiful. Our room had comfy beds, average hotel tv, balcony door that didn't open, a GREAT tv, ok bathroom-paint job was interesting. The paint job was very sloppy. Beds are comfy the fridge was the best I've seen at all the hotels I've been at. The restaurant on site had great food. The waitstaff was very nice..but getting the food was very slow..the kitchen took forever. Supper friday night was slow. Saturday morning we ordered room service and they were bombarded with room service orders. It took over an hour and still no food. When I told them we had to leave they said we could eat in the restaurant and took a percent off our bill without me complaining. They tried so hard to make it right and I really appreciated it. The next morning room service took only 15 minutes. Wow! They said the learned from the day before. The hotel was sold out and they planned for a large number in the restaurant and instead got flooded with room service orders. The next day they made the adjustment and it was great! We went back for lunch and supper and both were very slow. The waitstaff was wonderful. So friendly! They were great to our girls too. All of our food was very good..the shrimp pasta, pizza, cesear salads..etc.. I LOVE their kid friendly menu..everything from pbj to mac n chees to noodles. I had a great pedicure with my daughter. They are remodeling that area. I hope they are fixing the chips in the bathroom door and the spa hot tub..it looked a little rough. Pedicure area was fine..we had a good time. Check out was a little crazy with so many people checking out at once. If the hotel was sold out, it would be nice if they had more luggage carts. They did have 2 gentleman helping us get our luggage into the car which was AWESOME! Very friendly guys..they are an asset. Yes, it needs updating..yes they are working on it it looks like..they have great people and try to make your stay a good one. All staff was awesome and did their best and tried to make it a great time for us. We would stay there again. I'd like to see in the summer time. The inside pool was nice. The kids had a great time swimming..for over 3 1/2 hours! The rooms were back farther away from the conference center. That did not bother me ..I thought it was nice that we were away from the noise of the events. The walls seem a little thin as I did hear a lot of doors closing. The price I thought was reasonable for what we got. If we were paying a lot more than I might have been more critical of the updates that are needed.

Room Tip: Stay on the main floor
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Sara L, Front Office Manager at Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Wow! What a thoughtful review. Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you and your group enjoyed your stay! It is always a pleasure to be able to meet the requests of guests, and I'm happy to hear that you were satisfied with the services our staff was able to provide you with. I have forwarded your comments to the associated staff and managers for review. We certainly hope you are able to make a return trip to Olympia in the future!

Sara L.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Burlington, Vermont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

Let's be honest, the resort is on its last legs. We booked a stay for 2 nights, mainly because they allow dogs. I did not review the resort on trip advisor first, my mistake. My first clue was the car service driver who dropped us off did not have nice things to say about the place. It is too rundown. I went inside and it looks nice, no complaints. We checked into a "suite" (not really, just 2 rooms with a connecting door and a non working fireplace), and proceeded for a 10 minute walk to our room. Reviewers are not kidding when you see how far away the rooms are. The rooms are in pretty bad shape and the room service is, well, disgusting. We immediately began looking for another place to stay as we could not stay 2 nights there (found a really nice hotel in Delafield). After notifying the from desk that we would be leaving, they said they could not refund our 2nd night. But the next day, they did call and refunded our money, so that was nice. The staff knows the resort is in terrible shape but the owner I guess does not want to spend any money. They did say that changes were coming in a year or so, so I imaging it will be changing owners. They hear these same complaints over and over but there is nothing they can do. Bad rooms, bad food, great staff.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Bosty
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of the Olympia Resort. We always welcome and encourage feed back from our valued guests, as it is the best way to enhance our overall guest experiences. I do sincerely apologize for the fact that the fireplace was not working in your suite, and that you were not satisfied with the accommodations. It is certainly our goal to exceed guest's expectations, and it is unfortunate that we missed the mark during your most recent stay. Please feel free to contact me at any time if you wish do discuss your stay further.

Sara L.

Travellers are raving about these Oconomowoc hotels

Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

We'd stayed here a few times now. I agree with KelE0922 that it has so much potential if the owner would put some money back into the place. I wear socks in the room because the carpet looks like it's been there since the 70's and the gym towels are very thin with holes. But the room towels were new this visit compared to my last visit a year ago. The bed was clean and very comfortable. The restaurant in the hotel is very good and the pool/hot tubs were very clean. There's a great exercise room with newer equipment for the workout buffs. One thing I didn't like was the young help they have at the front desk, they look like teenagers. They need to have a manager on duty more instead of leaving young kids to handle any upset guests! I'd stay here again. It's great in the summer time, would be great in winter if the ski hill was open. But it's only 30 minutes from Milwaukee where there's lots to do!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your review of the Olympia Resort. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our pool and spa areas! They are currently working on upgrading these areas to make them even better. I have forwarded your comments to the correct personnel to ensure that they are addressed. We certainly hope that you are able to plan a return visit to the Olympia in the future! Please contact me if you wish to discuss your stay further.

Manitowoc, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

I recently attended a wedding at this resort and I was very disappointed in several things. This is the most handicapped challenged hotel I've ever been in. The rooms are extremely far from the entrance, restaurant, bars and any conference or reception areas. They have no means of transportation from the entrance to the rooms for anyone with breathing issues or walking problems. They have no wheel chairs to assist. They also are less than honest about the prices of their rooms. We had a room reserved at a reduced cost because we were attending the wedding. We came from out of town and arrived an hour before the wedding so we checked into our room to freshen up before the ceremony. We were not told there would be an additional charge for checking in an hour early! To my surprise our $79 room charge ended up $107! The food at the reception was very good, however, the food in the restaurant the next morning at breakfast was horrible. No free breakfast buffet or even a few doughnuts and coffee. NEVER AGAIN. I will drive to Delafield to stay the next time I'm in the area.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this facility.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Sara L, Front Office Manager at Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Feedback from our valued guests is the best way for us to enhance our overall guest experiences. I apologize that you were not able to get a wheel chair for transportation to your room. We are happy to provide complimentary wheelchairs or power scooters to our guests upon request at the front desk. We also provide complimentary early check-in's as long as the rooms are ready. Unfortunately, we do not offer complimentary breakfast, but we do offer a low cost breakfast buffet with a chef station. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the meal at the wedding! Our chef's do a great job!
If you would like to discuss your stay, please feel free to contact me at any time.

Front Office Manager
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

The resort has so much potential. It is a shame the owner seems to be letting it go down hill. We had an upgraded room. The upgrade was a patio. It is Nov in WI...I don't think we will be enjoying the patio in Nov in WI. The spa was dirty. Every single towel we picked up either had a stain or a hole in it. The pools and saunas were ALL dirty. We only went in one pool and felt uncomfortable in it. It looked like sand was floating on top and the bottom of all the pools. Half of the saunas were closed. The walls and seats of the saunas that were open, were dirty. Food at the restaurant was not worth it, especially the buffets. Staff at the bar was slow. This could be such a beautiful resort if the owner would just spend a little time realizing the potential.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Sara L, Front Office Manager at Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of the Olympia Resort. It is through feedback of our valued guests that we are best able to enhance out overall guest experiences. I sincerely apologize for having missed the mark during your most recent stay. I certainly hope that you may be able to give Olympia another try in the future with a better outcome. Please contact me at any time if you would like to discuss your stay further.

Sara LaDue
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

We did a girls spa night here but the spa was the only good thing about the place. The massage therapists there are awesome. I wouldn't waste any money staying here though. The hotel is seriously outdated. Our room smelled like it used to be a smoking room that was never washed down to get the tobacco residue off the walls. The trim on the bathroom door was missing and you could get slivers on the wood that holds the handicapped handle next to the toilet. The bar smelled like stale cigarette smoke and the service at Rick's was slower than molasses. The pool water temperature was comfortable but the bottom of the pool was peeling and felt like sandpaper when you walked on it. The pool area in general was in very poor repair as it had peeling paint and water stains on the ceiling. Throughout the hallways you could see water stains on the ceiling tile and some of them were sagging. I will not be recommending this hotel to anyone in the near future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Syxepac
Sara L, Front Office Manager at Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is through feedback of our valued guests that we are best able to enhance our overall guest satisfaction. I have discussed your comments with the appropriate personnel to ensure they are corrected. I sincerely apologize for any less than satisfactory accommodations you have mentioned.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

This use to be a nice "girls spa getaway" spot but it's just horrible now! Tool my daughter for a birthday spa weekend and was totally disappointed. The only nice thing I can say is the room was clean and fresh. No Flat screen as described on website. As for the spa...they boast Sauna, Steam room, Eucalyptus room, whirlpool. Well, the steam room was out of order, the eucalyptus room had no heat and a 1/2 teaspoon of "Vick's vapor rub in a box on the wall. The sauna benches will give you splinters because they are so old and outdated. Dirty and dilapidated shower stalls. I spoke with a member of the club there and she said it has been going down hill fast and Rick, the owner won't spend the money to fix it up. After complaining we received free facials which were great. And the spa manager took the "out of order" signs of the doors, put some candles in the corners and burned some oils and put a sign on the door that read..."Eucalyptus Room:" What a joke! Rick, the owner can often be seen walking around the hotel but he chooses to ignore what's going on. Find another hotel!!!! I will!

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ana c
Sara L, Front Office Manager at Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Ana,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I have forwarded your comments to the correct managers, to ensure that any challenges are corrected at once. We certainly strive to exceed guest expectations, and I sincerely apologize for having missed the mark during your most recent stay. I certainly hope that you are able to come back in the future and have the getaway of a lifetime.
Please contact me at any time if you would like to discuss your stay further.

Sara LaDue
Guest Services Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oconomowoc
Hilton Garden Inn Oconomowoc
Staybridge Suites Milwaukee West Oconomowoc
La Quinta Inn & Suites Milwaukee Delafield
The Delafield Hotel
The Delafield Hotel
#2 of 4 in Delafield
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Delafield
Holiday Inn Express Delafield

Been to Olympia Resort: Hotel, Spa & Conference Center? Share your experiences!