“Great Stay!”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Onalaska
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great Stay!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Everyone is friendly and the rooms are clean and comfy! Location is also great! Breakfast was also well stocked and I enjoyed my blueberry waffle. The AM front desk worker (Kyle, I think was very friendly even though he was very busy. I will be recommending this hotel to anyone coming to the area.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Brewersfan1986
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review. It is always nice to hear from a guest that had a great memorable stay. I will be sure to share your review with Kyle and thanks him for his friendly service. Thank you again and I hope we see you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Cottage Grove
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Arrived WD May 21, 2014, on the final leg of our "Great River Road" trip. Unfortunately, this Comfort Inn appears to be in the guts of the business district. At the time of our stay, a parking lot was being constructed at a new business across the street, ... and our room overlooked a downed fence to the loading dock of the neighboring Sam's Club business. Building, in general, was tired and in need of some grounds improvements.
We we pleasantly received and professionally checked in to our room. The room had an extreme musty odor, maybe due to the room ventilation being shut off. After running ventilation, the odor did lighten up, but, never did go away completely. The bathroom floor had debris on floor at the back of toilet. Rest of room was clean, but, as mentioned earlier, was not very quiet due to the neighborhood activity. AC for room was somewhat noisy, but not to the point of intolerable ... Had to manipulate window curtains so they wouldn't blow open all night. Beds were comfortable.
Morning continental breakfast was adequate, but, eggs were dry and pastries seemed to be " day old " ( they too were dry ). Check out was professional and pleasant. Would not stay here again, though the value may have been good ... Would rather have better conditions, with less activity in the neighborhood.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor. First, I would like to apologize of behalf of my entire hotel for being less than exceptional. I’m happy to hear that you were pleasantly receive and professionally checked in, however I am disappointed about the room cleanliness you experience. I will check and clean the PTAC unit to ensure it is running correctly and not causing any further unpleasant odors. Thank you again and I hope you give us a second chance to provide you with an exceptional stay.

Travellers are raving about these Onalaska hotels

Virginia Beach, VA
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I can't believe I am actually writing a negative review for a Comfort Inn. I routinely stay at CIs, so it's sad to have to write this.

Visited this particular CI for a family wedding nearby. We stayed three nights mainly because we had paid ahead.

What we liked:

1. Our room, all three days that it was serviced, was always very clean.
2. The bathroom counter is nice and long--plenty of room for his and her stuff.
3. Complimentary breakfast. CI's in Onalaska was good. Not great, but it would do if you have to be someplace in a hurry and don't have time to go out to breakfast. I don't think anyone wants to eat it several days in a row, though.
4. Complimentary USA Today.
5. Close to shopping and restaurants.
6. Friendly faces at the front desk (most of the time time)--keep reading.

What we didn't like:

1. The front of this hotel reminds me of the budget (low, low budget) places I stayed in when I was younger. Underwhelming front facade.
2. Trash around the front drivethrough that should have been swept away daily.
3. Ugly, ugly red rock instead of landscaping. This is what really got me: I felt like I was staying in a Motel 6. The rock attracts trash, which is onerous to remove.
4. No one tells you that this hotel backs up to the freeway, so though you may have a nice, secure second floor room, you can't open your window at night (and it's not even desirable during the day) because the noise of the trucks is HORRIBLE.
5. Bed sags.
6. Toilet paper and facial tissue are clearly made from recycled newspapers. Gray and rough.
7. We were amused when the front desk advised us that we were staying in a "suite." Suite???? We told her she was mistaken, we had an ordinary room. No, she said, you have a couch in your room, so you're staying in a suite. Oh. We could see that at one time there had been a frig and microwave in our room. The cubbies were there and the electrical outlets. But the appliances had been removed, likely a budget decision, which annoyed us.
8. Which brings me to the main problem with this hotel: Everywhere there was evidence of a management decision to go cheap. The ugly rock instead of landscaping. The awful tissue/TP in the room. The removal of the fridge and microwave. The watery orange juice. The lack of staffing. We tried and tried to get an extra blanket for our room, but we were told there were none, we would have to wait for a blanket to come out of the laundry. We waited hours. It never came, so we just went to bed without it. What does this hotel do for a couple whose baby wets the bed or if some poor traveler gets sick or spills something on a blanket?
9. Most hotel rooms have an entryway light. This one does not. Instead it is located at the top of the no-longer-used fridge/microwave cubby, which is set into the wall and throws very little light. Consequently there is no light at all in front of the closet. Worse, when you open the closet door to retrieve an item, the closet door blocks out the little bit of light that might come from the no-longer-used fridge/microwave cubby. It was impossible to see my clothes and even harder to unhook the silly hotel-style hangers from the rod--because you can't see which way to jerk the hanger. Very annoying.
10. The morning we left for the airport, at 5:30, we tried and tried to find a front desk employee to give us our final receipt. My husband even went into the kitchen to find someone. We never did find an employee, so we left our room keys at the desk and drove off to catch our flight with no receipt. As my husband was searching for assistance, I stood in the foyer with all our luggage, contemplating the black spilled liquid/food on the floor, likely left over from the night before or even the breakfast the day before. Really, it was too much. I knew we would never come back.

Room Tip: Make sure you tell the reservation person that you want a room far from the indoor pool. It is quite...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for taking your time to write a review on our hotel. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy and for that I sincerely apologize. You brought up multiple points that are within my staffs control and can and will be improved upon I apologize again for not living up to your expectation, but would like to thank you again for your review.
Onalaska, Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

I'm not sure why this is considered a 2 star hotel. It was clean and the beds were very comfortable. The check in staff was very nice and accommodating. The outside could use some enhancements. Overall definitely worth the price.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank BigFishingFan
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for the 5 star review. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed our clean and comfortable hotel. I will also thank my staff for provided you with outstanding service. The reason we are a two star hotel is because we are a limited service hotel and offer less amenities compared to a full service hotel. Thank you again for your 5 star review and we look forward to your next trip to Onalaska.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Could not have asked for a better stay! Check-in at the hotel was smooth and fast. From the outside the hotel looked a little run down, but the inside was updated and clean. The room was very spacious and could not find anything bad. Most hotels have uncomfortable beds but the Comfort Inn did not skimp on mattress quality. Enjoyed the pool which was also good but would have been nice to have the hot tub. Breakfast in the morning was fresh and had a vaiety of items to choose from. I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Nicholas A
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for taking your time and giving our hotel a positive review. It always a pleasure to hear that my staff was on point, from check in to check out because they deserve all the credit. Be sure to come visit us in the spring and summer to see our beautiful hanging flower baskets. Thank you again for reviewing our hotel and we look forward to seeing you again.
Palmyra, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

Passed through town and enjoyed my stay. Was trying to figure out a way to take the bed home with me. The king bed was so comfortable. The employees are very friendly and when told I would be emailed a receipt for my stay it was done promptly and I appreciate that! Breakfast was out very early and it was very good. My only complaint and it really isn't a bad complaint is that the TV channels are very limited. But I enjoy my stay. Thank you!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dustin D
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Thank you for your 5-star review Dustin. Our recent bedding update has been a huge hit. I'm glad you didn't take the bed home with you, but you are more than welcome to visit again. Our team will be excited to provide you with a friendly smile and a helping hand. I will look into adding more variety to our TV channels and appreciate your comment.
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

We have stayed in this hotel many times while visiting family in the area. We stayed one night in December 2013, and as usual the room was clean and quiet. The hotel is convenient to both La crosse and Onalaska, with restaurants and shopping mall nearby. The breakfast is adequate with hot and cold items. The hotel is a good value for the price. However, we did enjoy the hotel more when it offered a jacuzzi as well as a pool.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Ryan K, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Thank you for being a loyal guest to the Onalaska Comfort Inn! It is our pleasure to provide you and all of our guests with a clean and quiet room at a reasonable price. Thank you for your kind review and we look forward to your next trip to La Crosse.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Onalaska
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - La Crosse
Microtel Inn by Wyndham Onalaska/La Crosse
Settle Inn & Suites La Crosse
Hampton Inn Lacrosse Onalaska
Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area)
AmericInn Hotel & Conference Center La Crosse - Riverfront

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!