“Good Value at the Holiday Inn Express”

Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area)
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Onalaska
Reviewed 2 May 2012

This hotel is nice and clean. The rooms may have been recently remodeled, but the mix of the decor makes one wonder who was in charge of the upgrade. Maybe it was done half way? Nonetheless, for the LaCrosse area, it is a nice hotel with an extra pull out bed, microwave and small refrigerator. You can't ask for more.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank toptip1000

Reviewed 17 April 2012

My family stayed here in April 2012 during a basketball tournament. The hotel was filled with basketball teams but the hotel was prepared. The rooms were clean and ready. There was enough food and staff to work the breakfast area. The pool was clean and towels were available.

Our only "ding" was that the pull out sofa was lopsided and more uncomfortable than even a pull out should be.

It was fairly standard Holiday Inn Express rooms/food/pool etc. but it was clean and we had good service and would stay here again.

I also recommend Grizzly's restaurant a couple of miles from the hotel. They wood roast their chicken and it is really good in the various dishes as well as on their salads. Yum!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2012

In general, I'm a sucker for a good HIEx. Not so much on this one. This property has a pretty face, but once inside my room, I was a little disappointed in the lack of cleanliness. The little throw/coverlet at the end of the bed was the first thing I noticed. It was in desperate need of washing, or perhaps even replacing. After that observation, everything else was suspect. The bathroom was so-so. I hate, no...make that HATE, to see someone elses hair in "my" bathroom, and there were a few offenders waiting to be discovered. The bed was comfortable and the linens and pillows were fine. The two young ladies at the front desk were very friendly and check-in was unremarkable. If ever in the area again, I might give it a second try.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area), responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

Dear Kate A ,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced with your room. I will follow up with the executive housekeeper to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to serve you in the future.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Went for the weekend for a Hockey Trip. Staff was great, standard rooms were very big, near many places to eat. We would stay again if in the area!!

Room Tip: We had a standard room with 2 Queen beds, it also had a pull out coach, fridge and micro. Was very...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Hockeymom1810
Reviewed 20 January 2012

My default would have been the Hampton, but they were full and this Holiday Inn had a room. Actually, it was a BIG room with 2 Queen beds and a large work area. The lobby and the young lady at the desk were great. Her advice for dinner was "Grizzlies" which turned out to be a very nice local find.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank joelinda
Reviewed 2 November 2011

We were here for a brief one night stay midweek. It's pretty much like Holiday Inn Express hotels everywhere, and everything went smoothly and we have no complaints. The location is on the north edge of La Crosse, in an area heavy with strip malls and chain restaurants, and adjacent to the interstate. Easy to get to and a convenient stopping point for trips in the La Crosse area. The hotel itself is on the edge of this area overlooking undeveloped/natural areas below, although there isn't a lot to see, it is quiet. We liked the double-headed, walk-in shower in our king executive room -- I often think tubs are a waste in most hotels, so glad to see this. Free wireless is available. Complimentary breakfast is adequate, but nothing exceptional.

Room Tip: rooms on the east/south side will be quieter
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2011

We were in the area for a quick getaway. Originally, we wanted to stay at the Stony Creek Inn, but they do not have double Queen rooms. So, after having had a great stay at another Holiday Inn Express, we decided to stay here. We're very glad that we did.

Very clean, very quiet, this appears to be an older hotel (perhaps not a HI Express) that was remodeled and updated with more modern decor. I really liked the modern colors and patterns.

We were greeted by a very friendly and professional staff person. Check in took about 2 minutes and we had to wait for another customer to be taken care of! Excellent.

We did not use the pool, had to leave early due to a family emergenycy. A refund was granted immediately and without question for the night that we couldn't stay. We did peek in at the pool and it looked clean and very nice.

There is a very nice laundry facility that would have come in handy if we stayed longer.

Breakfast was plentiful. The pancake machine is fun (we've tried at another Holiday In Express), but I still like the waffles offered at other hotels better. They just taste better and have a better consistency. These machine made pancakes are a bit like batter hockey pucks! Sausage, scrambled eggs, sausage gravy, yogurt, toast, juice, cereal, etc. I'm sure I've left things out. One thing that we really enjoyed was the coffee. FINALLY, a hotel chain with excellent morning coffee. Even the decaf was strong and flavorful. They obviously clean their pots well and brew fresh often. We didn't have to a coffee house on our way out to start our day as we usually do. In room coffee maker (pod-style, very nice) was not used. There is a Starbucks right across the street if you absolutely need it.

The breakfast workers were delightful. Efficient, friendly, and attentive. Well done.

Our room was a 2 queen bed room with a sofa. Kind of odd that you can't watch tv from the sofa, but we survived! There was a generously sized refrigerator and microwave in the room. Lighting in the bathroom is excellent. Towels thick and soft. Bed linens were clean and fresh. I did my habitual inspection of the mattress and it was clean and bedbug free. Sorry, but I had to add that!

Our bathroom could have used a bit more cleaning. It wasn't horrible, but more attention to detail could have been paid. There is no place to hang towels, which would be nice. Two little hooks held our bathrobes, so we used the handicap bar by the shower. When I hung my towel, I noted that there was soap scum on the handle bar that easily scraped off with my fingernail. The little sign in the bathroom that asked if you forgot anything as also pretty scummy and the tile grout and corners needed a little more attention. Not deal breakers for me, but on our next stay, I'd like to see a little more attention paid in these areas. That's about the only things I could find wrong here.

I highly recommend this hotel.

The area around is filled with chain restaurants (we're not fans, but some are) and shopping. The movie theater right next door was a fun diversion.

Room Tip: Upper floor, on the side the front entrance is on probably has the best view. We were on the other...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Onalaska
Hampton Inn Lacrosse Onalaska
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - La Crosse
Baymont Inn & Suites La Crosse/Onalaska
Hampton Inn & Suites La Crosse Downtown
AmericInn Hotel & Conference Center La Crosse - Riverfront
Radisson Hotel La Crosse
Radisson Hotel La Crosse
#4 of 20 in La Crosse

Been to Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area)? Share your experiences!