“A few details could have been done better”

Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area)
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Onalaska
Kewaskum, WI
“A few details could have been done better”
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We stayed here during the state high school ski championships at Mt. LaCrosse. Overall, we had a good experience. The rooms were comfortable and roomy. Even the sofabed was fairly comfortable. Location is a bit challenging to find.

A couple of details they could have done better: on the weekend when this big ski event is going on, several teams stayed at the hotel. A bigger wax room would have been great. Other hotels set aside a meeting room. The Holiday Inn Express had a utility closet. Space was limited for having so many skiers there. And the pool area was not kept neat. (I realize that having high school students at a hotel can be stressful on staff. Yet the pool deck had towels and empty plastic bottles all over the place. It didn't look like anyone cared to clean up.)

On the good side, since the ski event started fairly early in the morning, the management stocked the breakfast area earlier than the announced time. Good job!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
ShawnMcAlister, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area), responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Thank you for the review on your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate the comments and look forward to you staying with us again in our newly renovated rooms. Thank you again for your nice comments and feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 March 2013

The exterior in the common areas of the hotel, but the rooms are a bit dirty. There was mold growing in the ceiling above the shower and the bathroom fixtures had caulk missing. The sheets were missing from the spare set and the flowers had stains on them. Don't know what the stains were from. The free breast was good. The location is excellent near the mall and many chain restaurants. I would stay here in a pinch.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am glad that you found our location and staff service satisfactory enough for your needs. Please accept my sincerest apology if you found your stay less than satisfactory due to the room accommodations.

We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.
Reviewed 19 February 2013 via mobile

I was passing through on a business and decided to stay here. The hotel appearance was good. I stayed on the second floor where some rooms were being remodeled. The second floor had a little bit of a smell due to the remodeling but nothing unbearable. In order to get into the workout room you had to have an extra key made at the front desk. This was not noted at check in, the the extra run around was a little annoying. The breakfast bar was a little disappointing as there was not fruit to be found anywhere.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Iowa
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We spent two nights at this convenient hotel. We enjoyed a huge room that has a separate sitting area. We found the room clean, comfortable and quiet. The only small problem we had was our room card kept needing to be reactivated for whatever reason. This hotel is close to a large mall and numerous great restaurants. We could adjust the heat accordingly and it wasn't "locked', which is nice in the midwest during winter. There was a pool, but we did not use it. The employees were always pleasant and helpful. They also offered a continental breakfast in the morning, which is always a plus. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank IowaHawkgirl
ShawnMcAlister, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area), responded to this review, 10 January 2013
Thank you for reviewing your most recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and glad you had a great stay.
Benson, Minnesota
Reviewed 30 December 2012

I have stayed at a lot of Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express hotels. I will not ever stay at this one again. The room was filthy and smelled like stale smoke. I found a sock behind the curtain that wasn't ours. I found a sock under the bed that wasn't ours. I found a bottle cap and two Sprees under the bed that wasn't ours. There was something on the curtains. There were hairs in the bathroom when we got there. I could right my name in the dust by the refrig. I think you get the idea. Also the night we got tree and the next morning their handicap access was full of piled hard snow and ice. When I mentioned it to the front desk help I was met with a blank stare. No comment at all. On a bright note, it was taken care of when I went out about 3 hours later.

There has to be better hotels than this one!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
ShawnMcAlister, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area), responded to this review, 3 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a detailed review. We are very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We just want to assure you that our Hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. We apologize that we fell below your expectations on this particular day. We will forward your comments to the appropriate parties. Your comments help us improve for future guests.

We hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.
Seattle
Reviewed 7 December 2012

In my opinion, this HIE does not come close to the pleasant stays we have had with this chain in the past. And of the six hotels we stayed in during our road trip, this was not only the worst one, but the most expensive one, too. By $30-$48.

It didn't start out well when I tried to haul some luggage up through the side door in the freezing cold, only to find that my card wouldn't open the outside door. After lugging all the stuff into the front lobby and notifying the girl at the front desk, she re-issued me another card. However, that card didn't work in the room when I got up there. They should look into replacing the card readers, as it took about 6-7 tries to get into the room with the new cards.

Now, to be fair, we do travel with a dog now, so we do take this into consideration. But there was a nasty smell that I noticed at the end of the hall where our room was located. The room itself also smelled really bad. I think it was a combination of smells, including cigarette smoke. I don't expect a spa-like room when I am staying in a pet-friendly hotel, but I also don't expect it to smell that bad.

The room was simply okay. (I would have expected a better room for the price, but we were just tired and needed a place to crash for the night.) However, the bed was not okay. There were probably 6 pillows on my bed and all of them were lumpy. The bed sheet was positioned so low on the bed that sleeping in it was like trying to sleep in a bed that had been short sheeted. I tried to pull the sheets up, but they wouldn't budge. So I had to sleep with my feet hanging over the foot of the bed in order to have sheets covering my shoulders. Not a good night's sleep, to say the least.

The next morning, my husband told me that he tried to get the front desk to give me credit on my Priority Club Rewards, but the woman at the desk couldn't find my information. So I had to spend extra time going through the system with her in order to get credit for the night. I also asked this woman if I could get the remote to change the station in the breakfast room. (At the time, I was the only one in the room, so I wanted to watch something other than FOX News.) She told me that I had to find the gentleman who, I guess, guarded the remote, for some reason. She adamently told me that the station I watched had to be a news station. Thought that was weird since they had it on the FOX "Faux" News channel??? My husband told me that the "remote guard" had taken the remote away from some kids when he was down eating because they were watching (surprise!) some kid's program. Go figure.

Our stay at this hotel was not good. Made even worse by the fact that they charged a lot for the room--even considering the pet charge. We won't be staying here again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
ShawnMcAlister, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area), responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 11 October 2012 via mobile

The bathroom had a a musty smell, shower head was discolored, and toilet tank dusty! The shower also had paint splatter and drained poorly. The room itself was oddly large and the bed frames seemed misfit for the mattresses. The front desk staff was friendly when I checked in though.

• Stayed October 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area), responded to this review, 26 October 2012
Dear EAW1228,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments about the bathroom were very troubling and will certainly be looked into. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused you.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Onalaska
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - La Crosse
Hampton Inn Lacrosse Onalaska
Settle Inn & Suites La Crosse
GrandStay Hotel & Suites La Crosse
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#5 of 6 in Onalaska
Baymont Inn & Suites La Crosse/Onalaska

Been to Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area)? Share your experiences!