“Good hotel but ask about A/C controls”

Hampton Inn Lacrosse Onalaska
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Onalaska
Reviewed 6 August 2012

This is a good hotel. We asked for a quiet room located on the top floor and received it. I always greatly appreciate when your requests are accommodated like this. The hotel was clean and quiet and service was good. I only have two complaints, one more significant and one less. We arrived on a hot July day and when we got to our room it was later (~7:30 PM). The room was a little warm so we turned the thermostat down to cool it off. I was awakened in the middle of the night feeling warm and got up to find out that the A/C wasn't operating. I went over to the thermostat and fiddled with it and it started working again and then worked OK the rest of the night. The next morning we read a short notice posted next to the thermostat indicating something about systems turning off when the customer wasn't in the room to save energy. I suspect that this is what happened to us. So when you check in, be sure and ask the front desk staff how you can avoid this happening to you. Also, breakfast could be improved a bit. Overall, though, a good hotel and we will be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Valerie E, General Manager at Hampton Inn Lacrosse Onalaska, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

Thanks for your comments, MinnesotaBob! Glad to hear we were able to accommodate your room request. Your suspicions are correct about the a/c resetting to an “unoccupied” status while you were asleep. There is a motion sensor on the thermostat and when the room is unoccupied, it saves energy by turning off the a/c (or heat in the winter) and allowing the temperature to rise to a setback temperature until motion is once again detected. A few other guests have commented to me that they also experienced the issue while they were sleeping. The company that manufactures the thermostats confirmed that if someone is sleeping soundly and not moving, the thermostat will go into setback mode until the person moves. We want to help out our return sound sleepers, so let us know that you need to have your thermostat overridden, and then our front desk team can set up your thermostat to maintain your selected temperature for 48 hours.
I’m curious for more information regarding our breakfast. I saw on your previous review for us that you thought our breakfast ranked among the best, but something must have happened this time for you to be disappointed. I apologize that we didn’t live up to expectations this time. If you have time to contact me, I would really appreciate it. The hotel’s phone number is 608.779.5000 or my email is valerie.erickson@hilton.com Thank you again for your comments and many safe future travels!

Reviewed 31 July 2012

This is really a nice hotel. The rooms are exceptionally clean and you can just feel it when you enter them. The housekeepers leave a little note and some mints on your pillow...nice touch. The staff is friendly, and Hampton still offers a free "real" breakfast unlike most other hotels, which is really nice. Also appreciate that they offer an adult only hour of swimming from 10-11 pm. The only criticism I can offer is highway noise, but that is not within Hampton's control, so I did not factor it into my overall rating. A clean room and a comfortable bed with some nice amenities is what we look for when we travel, and this hotel definitely provides that.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank L H
Valerie E, General Manager at Hampton Inn Lacrosse Onalaska, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Thank you for your comments, lhibbard! I appreciate that you took the time to share your experience. Our housekeeping team members enjoy leaving notes to welcome the guest that is staying in the room they cleaned. Often our housekeepers don’t get to see our guests face-to-face, so we found this to be a great way to make a personal connection. We even have some guests (staying for more than one night) that will leave a note for the housekeeper and they begin an ongoing correspondence throughout their stay.
I’m glad you brought up the noise from the interstate. It definitely can be an issue, especially for those that are light sleepers and are in a room located closer to the interstate. I would definitely recommend requesting a room on the north side of our building in the future. Also, if the noise is only a slight nuisance, we do have fans available that we can put in your room for some white noise which covers up the traffic noise pretty well. Thank you again for your comments and many safe future travels!

Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed at this property while we visited LaCrosse Allergy Associates, and we had a fantastic experience. I mentioned that we were visiting the allergy clinic when I booked the room, and I was contacted by the housekeeping staff and asked what they could do to accomodate us. When we arrived, there was a medical grade air purifier already set up and running in the room, and the room was extremely clean. The bed was wonderfully comfortable, and we enjoyed the pool and hot tub as well. There was also nice free breakfast in the morning. The customer service at this property really exceeded our expectations, and we highly recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Valerie E, General Manager at Hampton Inn Lacrosse Onalaska, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience, suki1724! I am so glad you mentioned that the reason for your visit was to see La Crosse Allergy Associates. They have an amazing facility and we are so proud to have them as our neighbors! We requested to meet with them when they opened at their new location so we could learn more about what their patients needs may be when they travel. They did a wonderful job of explaining the array of issues their many patients may have and helped us understand just how crucial a good night’s sleep is before a visit. They were the ones who recommended the type of air purifier we ultimately purchased, which of course you got to use! We do have two of them available for guest use. We also developed some others programs to try to prevent any reactions in our allergy patient guests, such as the pre-arrival phone call from our Executive Housekeeper, Lori to determine any special cleaning instructions as well as ensuring we keep a stock of gluten-free breakfast food items on hand just in case someone is sensitive to our traditional breakfast items. We believe that all of our guests should be able to stay at our hotel comfortably and enjoy themselves no matter why they are here. That may take a bit more work and imagination on our part in some instances, but it just makes the outcome that much more worthwhile when we get comments such as yours. Thank you for letting us know that we made a difference for you. I greatly appreciate it. Thanks again and many safe future travels!

Reviewed 8 July 2012

This hotel was wonderful. It was very clean. The staff was courteous and helpful. The breakfast was hot and was kept full. I also loved the lobby where they provided books and some small toys for kids. They had some other home touches like an ongoing scabble game. It was close to resaurants and shopping. A great place to stay!!

Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Hi ewrgmom. Thank you for taking time to review your stay. I appreciate that you wanted to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. I’m so glad that you and your kiddos made use of the fun toys and books in our lobby. I have young kids, too so I fully understand the helpfulness of having activities close at hand to keep them entertained, especially when traveling! We like to keep an array of games for those both young and young at heart available in our lobby with easy access for our guests to use and have fun with. Our library is quite the hit, as well. We like to keep a variety of books for all ages. How wonderful to hear that our little touches helped make a difference for you! Thanks again and many safe future travels!

Reviewed 1 July 2012

We stayed at this Hampton on a college trip this week. It was very comfortable, and the staff was friendly and professional. The breakfast attendant was especially helpful. The room was clean and newly renovated. I would certainly recommend this Hampton for a good night's sleep in a quiet hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Thank you for your review, coconutsmom! I appreciate you taking the time to tell everyone about your experience and giving us your recommendation. I hope your college visit went well. We are lucky to have wonderful universities in our area that enrich our communities. We hope to see you again, especially if “coconut” decides to attend one of our fine schools! Thanks again and many safe future travels!

Reviewed 16 June 2012

Stayed here while attending a high school graduation. The hotel was very busy for the weekend, but was quiet in our room which was right near the elevator. Front desk was alway very pleasant. Shopping and several restaurants quite near. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Valerie E, General Manager at Hampton Inn Lacrosse Onalaska, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Thank you for your comments. We certainly appreciate your feedback and are always glad to hear that our front desk staff was friendly, just as they and our entire staff should be! Thank you also for your willingness to recommend our hotel to others. Recommendations like yours are what keep us in business! A friendly tip as you referenced we were busy...try to book rooms with us as soon as possible. We are typically sold out many nights of the week so the sooner you book your reservation the better! Thanks again and many safe future travels!

Reviewed 8 May 2012

Extra helpful when we checked in very late at night- my husband and I told the night clerk that in the morning we would need directions to a local Panera...slid under our door when we awoke a google map with turn by turn directions and a post-it telling us to give her a call if we had any questions. Thanks Lauren

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ljcurtis

Hurray for Lauren! I’m so glad that she made your day. Thank you for passing on your experience for everyone to read. Now you have made Lauren’s day! Thanks again and many safe future travels!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Onalaska
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - La Crosse
Hampton Inn & Suites La Crosse Downtown
Holiday Inn Express Onalaska (La Crosse Area)
AmericInn Hotel & Conference Center La Crosse - Riverfront
GrandStay Hotel & Suites La Crosse
Home2 Suites by Hilton La Crosse

Been to Hampton Inn Lacrosse Onalaska? Share your experiences!