Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - La Crosse
Average 3/5
Econo Lodge(La Crosse)
Quality Inn(La Crosse)
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsla crossepool areawedding receptionnorth woodslog cabinparking ramplarge hot tubnorthwoods themethemed hotelbiscuits and gravylodge feelthe lower levelgreat poolbunk bedsthe entire hotelwaffleslacrosse area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We stayed at Stoney Creek Inn last night as a romantic little get away with out the kids. We've been to some hotels in LaCrosse that were loud, dilapidated, and disappointing. So we were thrilled to find a clean, fun, family friendly place to stay. We had a theme room with a whirlpool, and a patio. The evening was wonderful... until we checked out.

During our stay we were considerate, quiet, and left the room clean. We obeyed the no smoking rule and even though it was windy and in the single digits over night, we stepped out on the patio to smoke tobacco. (We don't even smoke in our own home.) We even cleaned up our cigarette remnants from outside and took them with us and swept the little bits of left over tobacco off the table and into the garbage (we roll our own American Spirits). So nothing prepared me for what happened when I checked out.

The lady at the desk was rude to me in front of other customers and said that they smelled smoke in our room and accused us of smoking tobacco (and marijuana!) in the room. When I told her that was absurd and absolutely untrue she brought the "evidence" to us. In the garbage there was an "incriminating" piece of a rolling paper package, some of those tobacco flakes and literally a speck of ash from those smokes we took with us (It was the bit that fell off the end of one when we had set it on the table while we were packing up to go.)

I asked if it was against their policies to smoke on the patio outside. Of course it wasn't, so I told her that the only reason it would smell in the room at all was because the wind must have blown a hint into the room as we went in and out. If we had smoked even one cigarette in the room I assume that it would have triggered their high tech smoke alarms, and actually SMELLED strong or LOOKED smokey. She told me that they were going to fine us $100, and when we tried to defend ourselves she offered to call the police.

At this point it was obvious that they were going to say and do whatever they wanted to and there was no use arguing with blatant stupidity so we just left feeling confused and wronged. We weren't looking for any trouble in the first place, we obeyed all the rules completely, and we did nothing wrong by considerately throwing away our tidbits of garbage. Any reasonably sensible person would have been able to walk in there and distinguish the difference between a room that had actually been smoked in and the faint hint that they may have smelled from the smoke clinging to us as we came in from outside. (I suggest they post signs in all of the patio rooms warning that if you smoke outside and even the faintest smell travels in then they reserve the right to charge you a hundred dollars. In the summer when the doors and windows are open one would assume that it would happen even more often.) It never crossed my mind that this would be a possibility or I certainly would have walked to my car.

We had been planning to recommend this hotel to our friends and family, and to also make it a regular place for us to stay when we go skiing. Now I'm just disgusted, insulted, and feel mistreated. I'm baffled at how the rude staff could be so adamantly unfair. We did Absolutely NOTHING wrong! I'm astounded that they can even get away with this!

Room Tip: If you smoke tobacco, be sure to get a room without a patio door, or you might be tempted to smoke right outside your room and potentially be fined $100.00.
Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Caliope R
Jack K, Vice President of Corporate Support Services at Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear Caliope, I am so sorry that your "clean, fun family friendly" stay ended on such a sour note. While we must strictly enforce our no smoking policy to protect the rights and health of other guests and our employees, there is absolutely no excuse for rudeness. I’m so regretful that you felt our communication with you was inappropriate for the circumstance and for that I sincerely apologize.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We had stayed at a Stoney Creek Inn previously and had enjoyed it, so when planning a trip to hike in the La Crosse area, I found this one and decided to book it. It met, or exceeded, all expectations. While the whole outdoorsy-Up North theme is a little over the top, it is fun. Our room was generous in size and the bathroom felt enormous. I think because of the high ceilings, it all seems very large. The bed was good, the breakfast worked for us, and it was clean and quiet. The reception staff gave us an excellent dinner recommendation, Manny's, which we thoroughly enjoyed. The price was extremely reasonable and we'd definitely stay at another Stoney Creek Inn, as well as recommend it to others!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I live in the Twin Cities and consider La Crosse to be a great escape. I now have a new favorite place to stay while there! I enjoyed the northwoods décor of the hotel. Everyone I encountered was very nice. The room felt like brand new - clean and quiet. I couldn't have asked for more. Ask for a room facing the marsh, the view is beautiful! I got a great rate and am already looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: I always recommend a top floor, non-connecting room for peace and quiet. The view of the marsh is great!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed here for a conference. Got the conference price. My room was so clean and new looking. No wear and tear. Comfy King bed, cute bathroom. Nice little gym downstairs, free breakfast, free airport shuttle. Way beyond what I would have ever expected for the low price. Oh , and awesome wifi. free

Room Tip: third floor as vaulted ceilings
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this place last weekend for my father in-laws birthday. The past reviews were pretty much on par. We had a great time. The decor is as expected and a hit cheesy but we are in wisco after all. I really enjoyed the sweet giant bald eagle mural in the pool area. Awesome! We took my son swimming at 7 months old for the first time and he loved it. The beds were super excellent and comfortable. The breakfast was good as well with hot biscuits and gravy hiring the spot. A waffle bar would have been nice. Front desk staff was great letting us check out late so our baby could take a nap.

Cons: we did have noisy, echoey hallways with Sasquatch running up and down them but it's to be expected on a Friday night.

The parking is TERRIBLE when there is some other event going on. On our night there was a wedding reception. We had a pissed off baby that apparently didn't like the plethora of Minnesota Vikings fans in the area and we couldn't find a parking spot and had to park in the ramp a ways away. Not to convenient. It would have been nice if there was a lot for overnight guests only and not wedding attendees. Just a thought.

Not enough chairs in the pool area also.

All in all we had a great time and would return next time.

Stayed: November 2013
Jack K, Vice President of Corporate Support Services at Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear CyDogg, I certainly hope you got film of Sasquatch on the run and I appreciate your sharing your experience while sharing and showing your sense of humor. I’d like to think that having fun while staying with us is not optional, but should be, in fact, mandatory. Thanks for taking the time to share and please come visit us again soon.