“wonderful relaxing getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
kingsford
“wonderful relaxing getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2007

we had a wonderful relaxing stay, we satyed in the belle suite it is a wonderful room with a private pathroom and the soaking tub
made our aniversary sty great

• Liked — freindlyness of staf/owners
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2007

Taking into account our overall experience, we do not plan to return when we are in the area. However, you may want to consider staying here if you are searching for a one-night getaway in Oshkosh...

Check-in/Arrival:
When we walked up to the front porch, we noticed a chalkboard sign that had “Welcome…” with our names written on it. One of the owners, Nicole, greeted us and offered us a complimentary upgrade to another room. Her and her husband, Scott, gave us a tour of the house and we learned about the renovations they completed on this historic home. All of the rooms have a private bathroom. The two suites have soaking tubs. The Brayton Suite differs in that it includes a bathroom that can be closed off from the rest of the room. There are plenty of common areas to rest and relax if you want time outside of your room. The owners also offered us some wine and cheese on arrival and there was bottled water in the room. Nicole has breakfast cards you fill out with what time you plan to eat and then you circle what options you would like for your breakfast. This was the first time I have seen this, and I thought it was a great idea.

Rooms:
We took Nicole up on the upgrade, and chose to stay in the Belle Suite. It is a large room with an impressive king size bed. There is also a loveseat and coffee table in the room. As a business traveler, my husband missed having a small work desk in the room. There is a large dining room in the common areas that you could use if you needed to conduct business while there. The house has wireless Internet. Our room did not have an in-room iron and ironing board, but when we asked for one Nicole put an iron with a small ironing board in our room. We especially enjoyed the soft embroidered sheets and comfortable mattress. I am usually partial to down-like comforters, but found the bedding to be soft and cozy. It was the best night’s sleep I had while traveling through the area. The room is decorated with brown and burgundy hues. Usually when I have stayed in a historic home, there can be issues with heating and cooling (since it is “shared”). No worries here…we slept in comfort.

Bathroom:
The soaking tub and pedestal sink are located in the room and there is an alcove area in the back corner where the shower and toilet are located. Just as advertised on their website, each space is separated by curtains (no doors). We especially enjoyed the plush towels and soft robes. There are plenty of hooks just where you need them (near the tub and shower). All of the fixtures are new throughout the room. The shower had great water pressure and plenty of hot water. The bathroom areas are complete with fantastic smelling soaps, bath foam, body wash, lotion, and Aveda shampoo/conditioner. Space for toiletries is a bit sparse near the sink, if you are staying for an extended period this might be something to consider in this room.

Housekeeping:
The rooms and common areas are very clean and nothing was out of place. Like some other places we have stayed, saran wrap covers the glasses in each room so you know it has not been used and has not collected any dust in between guests.

Location:
The location is great if you are going to be in Oshkosh. The home is near the college campus and is only a block or so away from an array of downtown shops. Had the weather been better it would have been a neat area to explore.

Service:
Nicole has created a welcoming environment. She is a wonderful and hospitable host that aims to please. We returned from dinner and found brownies and chocolate covered peanut butter waiting for us. We were even offered a glass of milk to take back to our room. The owners are very personable. There were a few offhanded remarks in our conversations that made us a bit uncomfortable. Admittedly we are fairly conservative folks, so other people may not have noticed or been bothered by the comments. We appreciated their offer to be flexible on our check out time. I cannot imagine they would not go out of their way to meet a guest’s needs.

Breakfast:
My husband and I signed up for the two different options so that we could “sample” each. I mentioned something in passing about this, and Nicole went above and beyond and actually went ahead and had our plates ready with both items. We had breakfast lasagna, strawberry cream cheese stuffed French toast, grapes with yogurt and mixed nuts, bacon, and banana bread. It was so much food I couldn’t finish my plate. You also have your choice of an array of juices, milk, tea and coffee.

Overall:
Our experience of feeling a bit uncomfortable and the lack of an in-room desk will make us look elsewhere the next time we visit Oshkosh. Those with different travel requirements may want to consider this bed and breakfast.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Cindy30A
Greenwood, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2007

The Brayton B&B is a great place to get away from it all. I happened upon this gem because all the hotels were booked for a conference I was attending. Little did I know that I was in for a treat! For relatively the same price as a hotel room in Oshkosh, Scott & Nicole welcomed us all each day with lovely surroundings, cozy fireplaces and a large sitting room.

You can tell Nicole and Scott put a lot of love into this place and if I go back to Oshkosh for our conference next year, or heck just to get away, I will stay here again! Each evening, Nicole would bake fresh goods and we would all relax with a glass of wine. Now, where can you get this type of service in a modest hotel room? My room was very cozy too and I slept amazingly well! Despite the 10+ inches of snow that fell during my stay in Oshkosh, I had a great stay at the Brayton B&B!

Right now my photos are too big to post, but hopefully, I will get them resaved. Thank you Scott & Nicole!

LW - Franklin College (Indiana)

• Liked — Accommodations, owners
  • Disliked — Nothing - perfect!
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business