“As excellent as we remembered”
Review of Knapwell Wood Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Knapwell
Knapwell Wood Farm
Ranked #1 of 1 Knapwell B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We last visited Knapwell Wood Farm two years ago as we have friends living in the area. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay last time and were certainly not disappointed this time! We received a very warm welcome from Siobhan, who greeted us like old friends & in fact nearly forgot to pay the bill as we felt so at home here!!
We stayed in Joan's room again as the bed is so comfy & the shower room is wonderful. Every aspect of our stay was excellent, especially breakfast with an added extra of a large
bowl of raspberries & some clotted cream. This I add was on top of a large plate of smoked salmon, scrambled eggs & a muffin. You couldn't stay here too long as you would become enormous!
We shall certainly return again.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

We were visiting Cambridge whilst our teenage son was doing a short course at the University of Cambridge. We used to live in the area so knew not to try and stay in Cambridge with associated high prices and parking problems. Knapwell Wood Farm fitted the bill in being on the right side of town for the Park and Ride (there seems to be a good bus service from nearby too), and excellent value for Cambridge. Joan's room was large, clean and the large power shower in the ensuite was appreciated by my husband who has a bad shoulder. Very comfortable bed and pillows.Siohan and Ian and their staff were accommodating and flexible and proactively offered us a solution when our son joined us for our final night. The grounds looked great but the monsoon weather prevented exploration. Loved the chickens and enjoyed their fresh eggs. A highlight was seeing a hare in the paddock from our window. Hopefully we will be back for University Open Days and, with luck, student delivery and collection

For a special meal go to the Anchor at Sutton Gault near Ely.

Room Tip: Joan's room was great and our son says he liked the blue colour scheme in the twin room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We booked a night here as a result of the positive reviews on this site and were not disappointed. On arrival, we were offered tea and biscuits which were much-appreciated after a tiring journey on a hot day. The room was clean and attractively furnished, the welcome was genuinely warm, the proprietors friendly and helpful, the bed very comfortable and the breakfast tasty and generous with the inclusion of home-made jams and vegetarian sausages (we'd requested a vegetarian breakfast in advance). A lovely setting and all round, a faultless b&b experience. Thoroughly deserving of it's 5-star rating on this site and a shining example of the standard that every b&b should aspire to. NB Knapwell is not well signposted from the A428, so be sure to print a map or bring an up to date road atlas to avoid driving round in circles trying to find the village like we did!

Reviewed 13 July 2012

Picked this place as so well reviewed by trip advisor visitors. Saw 2 reviews ,out of about 170, that didn't rate it that well but after staying two nights consider them to be somewhat suspect given our experience. However you do need a car to benefit from this place.
Everything top notch. Lovely welcome, beautiful room and one of the best showers ever. (had a control button outside so water at the right temp when you got in!).
Breakfast outstanding and nothing too much trouble for our hosts. Great selection of pubs/restaurants for dinner all within about ten minutes drive.
A great place in a great location for Cambridge with a park and ride about 10 minutes away.

Room Tip: Stayed in Joans room
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
STMKPresteigneWales, Owner at Knapwell Wood Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Thank you so much for your lovely comments - we are so pleased to have had the opportunity to meet you both and hope to see you back in Knapwell again very soon.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 7 July 2012

I was very lucky that my planned hotel was fully booked and Kevin, the barman, recommended Knapwell Wood Farm just as I went into my meeting at 7pm. I arrived at the farm very late to a very warm welcome from Ian and Siobaun ( spelling will be wrong). When I was in my spacious, well furnished room my first thought was that a five star hotel would not have done so well...I had landed on my feet.

Everything about the facility is perfectly formed thanks to the fact than Ian is an exceedingly handy man. They have four girls and from what I discovered they run at least three businesses, and do so with a very relaxed and friendly style, which I really like.

The scrambled eggs on a toasted muffin with smoked salmon was to die for, and I decided there was enough to feed my whole family plus the dogs. The breakfast and the atmosphere cannot be matched. I will find any excuse to take my wife next time and try to stay longer. They fully deserve their number One slot.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Great comments - thank you so much. Looking forward to seeing you soon

Reviewed 3 July 2012

We stayed here for 1 night 17th June. On arrival we were offered a coffee which was nice. The room was very big and had everything you would need, bathroom modern with all the little luxuries.

We had a lovely breakfast in pleasant surroundings. The only thing is that you need to drive to the nearest pub which is about 10mins. A lovely place to get away and relax in lovely gardens.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

It was lovely to meet you and we thank you for your kind comments.

Best regards

Reviewed 5 June 2012

My wife and I have literally just arrived back from our stay at Knapwell Wood Farm during the extended Diamond Jubilee weekend -- and our wedding anniversary break -- so I was keen to put up this review whilst everything was so fresh in our minds.

The first thing to stress is that this was NOT our first stay at Knapwell. We also celebrated our wedding anniversary there 2 years ago, but I never got around to posting a review on TripAdvisor at the time -- and I should have done. Last time we stayed in the self-catered room in the converted stables, but this time we managed to book Charlotte's Room in the main house.

Its not all the time that a B & B sticks in your mind for all the right reasons, but this is certainly one of them; returning for a second visit was a little like coming home, even though we live 185 miles away, and we were certainly not disappointed.

So I am rather surprised that there are any ratings which are less than 'very good' and, from my own personal opinion, I would take them with an extremely large pinch of salt. Some of the supposed 'negatives' need a little explanation.

Firstly, there are occasional comments about the 'isolation' and the need for a car. Yes - fair enough - but, come on folks, this is South Cambridgeshire, not Greater London. Its the very essence of the old English countryside around here which is the real charm of the place. Please do your homework about the area before having an unfair go at Knapwell -- if you don't do 'rural', then I would advise you not to come to this part of the UK (but you'll miss a lot if you don't !).

Secondly, I've seen a couple of unflattering remarks about the hosts which don't stack up with our own experience and that of most other reviewers. Sure, everyone is different in how much friendliness they want. It seems to my wife and I that Siobhan & Ian were as friendly, relaxed, informal and interested in their guests as they could be without stepping over the line of being intrusive. So, for us, the balance was just right, and nothing was too much trouble for them. Can any guest ask more than this ?

I would also counter the odd comment about breakfast being regimented and less than 100%. Whilst you would expect some guidelines for the timing of breakfast, we were as warmly welcomed downstairs whether we were 15 minutes early or late at the table. The hosts (and their advance breakfast request slip) make it clear that they want to know exactly what you want - and that's what we (and the other guests) got. Even after tea/coffee, cereals, fruit, juice, toast and a full English (cooked beautifully, not greasy), Siobhan was still offering us extra tea/coffee, toast and even freshly baked croissants and pains au chocolat ! I certainly never left the breakfast table feeling that I wanted more.

Could anything be improved in Charlotte's Room ? I've seen one review talk about the shape of the wash basin not allowing a kettle to be filled, and that can be true in other accommodation as well, but we were provided with a sealed bottle of fresh water in the room for that very reason, so its not a negative in our book. The shower cubicle is one of those chosen with a 'cut off' front corner so that it makes the most of the bathroom space, and this does mean a little less elbow room; yet even here we thought that slight minor was offset by a powerful shower unit with good temperature control and no shortage of hot water.

Believe everything else that the other positive ratings say on TripAdvisor: from the welcoming cup of tea, through the tasteful decor, the wealth of information available, and the comfortable bed which had you floating away to dreamland before you knew it. There was even an anniversary greetings card in our room when we arrived - such a thoughtful touch.

Long may Knapwell retain its number 1 position.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank C2372RIgaryr
STMKPresteigneWales, Owner at Knapwell Wood Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

Wow what an amazing review. Thank you so much. We hope to be able to welcome you back a third time.

With very best wishes

Siobhan and Ian

Also consider these accommodations in or near Knapwell
Regent Hotel
#1 of 1 in Horningsea
The Cambridge Guest House
The Cambridge Guest House
#8 of 124 in Cambridge

Been to Knapwell Wood Farm? Share your experiences!