“Accessible room not as accessible as newer hotels”

Country Inn By Carlson, Platteville
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Platteville
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Have stayed here several times while visiting son in college - always appreciate the pool, large room, comfortable beds and decent counter space in bathroom.

This trip was also traveling with parents and booked the accessible room for them. Parents use a walker and have difficulty getting into a bathtub. They were disappointed to find their room did not have a roll in shower - but only a tub with grab bars and a seat - as apparently is true of many older hotels. The seat helped, but since both the seat and tub were slippery when wet - they had difficulty showering.

Breakfast included standard sausage, biscuits and gravy, waffles, etc. The breakfast area is crowded when full and was difficult for someone with walker to move around.

One minor issue - when using the hot tub later in the evening - the smell of chlorine was so strong my husbands eyes were watering.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
TMalliet, General Manager at Country Inn By Carlson, Platteville, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay with us was. I appreciate your feedback on the accessible room as well as breakfast room and assure you that we will address these problems to improve on them. I will also be addressing the chlorine issue in the hot tub as well. I am pleased that you do enjoy our large rooms and comfortable beds.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We have stayed here a number of times when visiting family, it's always a nice stay with a great staff. It's also one of the few (May be the only) with a pool in town. Coffee is always hot, plentiful and good.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TheResortHopper
TMalliet, General Manager at Country Inn By Carlson, Platteville, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay with us was. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed our indoor pool.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Great location in Platteville, comfortable beds/pillows, ok breakfast, my only complaint relates to the room fridges. My family had two rooms and both fridges had the same issue. They were ridiculously cold, as in frozen water bottles, exploded sodas and ruined food with no way to adjust the temperature. I was disappointed that we had to resort to ice and a cooler.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MKE1978
TMalliet, General Manager at Country Inn By Carlson, Platteville, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay with us was. I want to apologize for the issues that you had with our refrigerators in the rooms. If you could contact us and let us know which rooms you had stayed in the would be great and we will look at them right away. Again, sorry for the issues you had with them and thank you for bringing it to my attention. I am glad that you did find the pillows and beds comfortable and hope that you enjoyed the rest of the ammentities we have to offer. Again, thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay with us was and if you need any further assisstance please feel free to contact us at (608) 349- 7373.

Country Inn
Platteville, WI 53818

Reviewed 15 December 2013

This motel is about the only place to stay in Platteville, WI. I am surprised since the town is a college town but has very few options for motels. This place is average in quality but has a decent indoor pool. The breakfast was nothing to brag about, but the motel was almost empty that night, so the food was not replenished during the breakfast hours and was generally cold and bland. We stay at a lot of motels in a given year and this was one of the first times that my wife and I were the only people eating breakfast while we were in the dining room. We were celebrating a birthday that night and the motel let us use the breakfast area for a pizza party which was nice of them and much appreciated.
The room was clean, everything worked fine and it was large enough, so I had no complaints in that area. I noted that the rooms are rather pricy on weekends, but there is no competition, so that's what one can expect.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Traveler491
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights for a weekend getaway and the accommodations are pretty standard for a Country Inn.

They have larger than average rooms that are clean and comfortable. They have a friendly staff and checking in and out was a breeze. The breakfast is upgraded with a few hot items, usually eggs and some type of breakfast meat. I've never had a bad breakfast at any Country Inn I've stayed at.

The pool area was nice but the pool is on the small side as is the hot tub. We couldn't get space in the hot tub either night due to the amount of people using it but we were able to swim, which was fine as far as my son was concerned!

The parking lot is very small. I'm only including this bit of info because I usually travel with a boat. We didn't pull the boat on this trip but if we had, I don't know what we would have done with the trailer. I didn't specifically ask, but maybe they have a solution for that issue. I would call and ask before staying if you do pull a trailer.

All in all, we were very satisfied with our stay. This trip will most likely become an annual trip for us and we'll definitely stay here again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The motel was clean and quiet. They do offer an upgraded continental breakfast; but the selection of danish/donuts and bread for toast was very limited.
My main complaint is when the people above us were taking a shower or filling the bath
we could not watch TV without turning the volume way up. It needed to be turned up so loud that we would have distrubed the people next to us. We had a ground floor room and the noise from the running and draining water was unacceptable.
The staff was friendly and they had good cookies in the lobby.

Room Tip: I would choose a room on the upper floor to avoid the noise of running water.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We've stayed at this hotel twice. Was hoping that on the second visit it would have improved, but it hasn't. The facility is run down and in need of a full renovation. Carlson should be ashamed of their name being associated with it. We witnessed an Elderly couple check in,and be placed on the second floor. Well guess what - no elevator. The desk clerk watched this couple attempt to climb the stairs with their luggage and did nothing to help. Other guests assisted instead. Furniture was soiled and our desk chair in the room needed the fabric to be replaced (fabric was actually missing on the chair). Dry wall joint seams can be seen peeling. Overpriced, and certainly not worth your travel dollar.

Room Tip: Shy away from this place
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Scott-travels-often
TMalliet, General Manager at Country Inn By Carlson, Platteville, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Thank you for the comments. We strive to make every guest stay excellent and in this case we did not meet your or our expectations. We would like another chance when you are in the area. Please give me a call directly at 608-348-7373 and we will make this right for you. Thank you again for sharing feedback regarding your experience with us!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Platteville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Platteville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galena IL
Lancaster Welcome Inn
Lancaster Welcome Inn
#2 of 2 in Lancaster

Been to Country Inn By Carlson, Platteville? Share your experiences!