Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Washington
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Port Washington
Lisle, Illinois
“Great value!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

Our group stayed one night at this hotel on a 2-day golf junket in the area. The facility was newer and very clean. The rooms were comfortable and well appointed. An indoor pool and spa was very nice. Access to I-43 is only 2 or 3 minutes away. There is also a very good restaurant, Nisleit's Country Inn, nearby. The hotel includes complimentary breakfast. It's pretty basic, with cereal, coffee and juices, a waffle maker, and a few hot items (eggs, sausage, gravy) adequate to obviate the need for another stop in the morning.

It's only my opinion, but I think most consumers are pleased when they get good value for their money. This hotel delivers such value. It's very clean, quiet, comfortable, and reasonably priced., and the staff is friendly and efficient.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Waterengineer3728

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

Stayed for 5 days during the races in Elkhart Lake. Hotel is just off of I-43 in Port Washington; there is road construction at the intersection onto the hotel road, but it wasn't too much of a hassle. Close to grocery store, pharmacy and fast food restaurants-McD's and Arby's. Spacious, clean rooms with microwave and good-working refrigerator. Plenty of parking on level ground. The staff is very friendly; the morning kitchen lady came in an hour early just for our group, since we left so early for the track, which we greatly appreciated. The food was classic complimentary hotel fare but was tasty. Port Washington, WI is a pretty little port town on Lake Michigan - quiet and relaxing, with a beautiful picnic area overlooking the lake, and is only 35 minutes from Road America raceway.

Room Tip: The rooms on the back overlook I-43 and road noise is pretty bad.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Minneapolis MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

Checked into the hotel after a day of business meetings with a local manufacturer. The hotel grounds and rooms are clean and set up in typical fashion for this hotel chain.
I had finished my meetings in the early afternoon and had managed to check in quickly and get some work done - the internet service is probably too slow for movie streaming but it worked just fine with my companies' VPN software and I was able to review drawings and work with Emails with no problems. The in-room fridge worked good for keeping the fruit and cheese I had brought cold and the freezer worked well enough to freeze the two small ice packs I was using to keep my food and drinks cold in the car.
The hotel is right on the Ozaukee interurban bike trail so I was able to get in a nice safe 7 mile out and back run before dinner. - sure beats the treadmill (which they do have available)
The staff was friendly and efficient at check in. Someone had done a number on one of the windows in my room and I was unable to fully close it, but a call to the front desk got someone from maintenance up to fix it within an hour of my reporting it. Breakfast in the morning was typical for the chain but the room was clean and they kept the food and coffee filled.
Being on the edge of a tourist town on Lake Michigan there are a variety of nice but not spectacular restaurants - The Twisted Willow on the old main street looked good but I was a little underdressed and so had a decent meal at the Pasta Shoppe.

Room Tip: - The even number rooms face Highway 43 and away from the lake - so if early morning traffic noise b...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Lake Tahoe
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

I stayed in Room 327 last weekend (June 21 - 24). The toilet has a clog which needs a professional plumber to repair, but instead the hotel is relying on using a plunger to unclog, which works temporarily. Do not stay in this room unless you don't mind plunging the toilet every day.

My first morning I told the hotel desk clerk the toilet was clogged, and she handed me a white plastic plunger in a nice case. This plunger is cheap and doesn't work, but will drip dirty water from the last place it has been all over the floor when you open the case, adding to the ick factor.

What I learned from this experience is don't let the desk clerk leave it up to you, the "guest" to unclog the toilet, especially when they won't provide you with a plunger that actually works. Not sure why they want a guest to have this experience, it was unique from every other hotel I have ever stayed at.

If you do get this room, there is a public restroom on the first floor near the breakfast room.

This hotel is now non-smoking, which is great, but Room 327 still smells like stale cigarettes. One reason might be that the carpet has not been replaced, as evidenced by two big burn marks in the living room area (this room is a suite).

If light bothers you when you are trying to sleep bring a clothespin as there is a gap in the curtains and a bright streetlight outside.

This would be a nice and convenient hotel to stay at, if you can overlook the ick factor and general grunginess of the rooms. I was staying at this hotel for a large family event and no one else mentioned a clogged toilet, so the other rooms probably have functioning toilets.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Room 327 unless a plumber has been called in to fix the clog.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Tahoedewey
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Washington, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room and the inattentive service of the desk clerk.

We will discuss the conditions of your room with hotel management to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inns and Suites standards and to address the service breakdown that occurred. To discuss your stay further, please contact Corporate Customer Care
Oxford, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

Hotel is newer and pretty well kept. There is plenty of parking and the location right off the highway is pretty good. I had a room overlooking the front parking lot on the 2nd floor far enough away from the elevator that I wasn't bothered by any noise. I had a living room, kitchenette, bathroom and bedroom. The room was spacious, clean and the bed comfortable. I like that I was able to control the temperature in the bedroom! However, the lighting in the living room part of the room (no windows) was pretty bad and it was dim and dark in there, not a place you'd want to spend any time. Plus, my room only had 2 chairs as opposed to a couch. The breakfast was good, lots of variety, typical of this type of hotel. The bar was perfect for our family to relax at night. Overall, I would stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

Pros:

Room was clean, bed comfortable (in our opinion), microwave and fridge in room, staff great, nice pool and jacuzzi, decent variety for breakfast (we stayed during the week and they had french toast, sausage, waffles along with several other breakfast items), short drive to Lake Michigan, 3 minutes away from interstate (we had a room facing it and couldn't hear it at all) 25 minutes away from downtown Milwaukee, located in a nice safe quiet area, gym, game rooom, and it was so nice to have a hotel that check out was at noon!!!

Cons:

None

We booked this hotel for a recent trip to Milwaukee. We had checked around for hotels in the immediate Milwaukee area and we saw either high prices and/or mixed reviews on hotels. Nothing that sparked our interest no matter how close it was to what we were looking to do. So I decided to check a little further north of Milwaukee (as we were coming from north of Milwaukee) and came upon this one. Read the reviews and noticed that a lot of the bad reviews were older and the good reviews were newer. We gave it a shot and it didn't dissapoint as per my pros above. We definitaley will stay here again. Plus we got a courtesy call from the front desk about 15 minutes after we got to our room asking us if everything was to our satisfaction and if there was anything else they could do to make our stay more enjoyable, something small but greatly appreciated.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RobertXLV
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Bed was wonderful . I hate when you are paying to sleep at a place and the bed is uncomfortable.

We arrived around 9 pm so we unpacked and went to the hotel bar. The Bartender was wonderful. Would be nice if they could have the Juke Box fixed numerous people tried to play music but it was a challange. Appeared this has been an issue for a prolonged amount of time. Really it is easier to make money on an item that works.

Nice breakfast- Sausage, Cereal, Waffles, fruit, etc.

We would stay again.

Washington House Inn
#1 of 1 in Cedarburg
Hampton Inn & Suites West Bend
Baymont Inn & Suites Mequon Milwaukee Area

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Washington? Share your experiences!