“Lovely room”

The Port Hotel Restaurant and Inn
New Jersey
“Lovely room”
Reviewed 27 July 2012

My wife and I spent one lovely night at The Port Hotel. The reservation system seems a little shaky as the online method initially yielded no response and then the next day came back with a "no room at the inn" type message. In the meantime I called and left a voicemail which was returned later. The room we received was a significant upgrade from what we'd asked for so our review is slightly biased. The room (307) was huge, very well decorated, with a hot tub in the bedroom, and on a corner so there was a view. Very comfortable. I told my wife we should have stayed there at the end of our trip as now she would be spoiled.

Check in was different. The owner went through a checklist of common sense items, however seeing him actually complete a checklist and mark off each item as he discussed it with us was unusual. Then we were asked to sign plus initial in two spots the "contract" for our stay. I can understand the owner wishing to maintain this lovely property, but it was a different approach. There is no elevator and the stairs are steep, The stay comes with a breakfast, and that led to a misunderstanding. The owner, who showed us around our room pointing out the idiosyncracies, advised us to fill out the room service menu to receive breakfast in our room. This is the first time I've ever stayed in a hotel or B+B in which the ONLY way to get breakfast is via room service. Not understanding that we headed for the dining room only to find the door locked. We did find our way to the kitchen, threw ourselves on the mercy of the staff, and they quickly allowed us to eat in the dining room. The breakfast was not your usual dried pastry and hard eggs, but a beautifully prepared full American breakfast including a fan of melon, orange, and pineapple. If and when we return to Port Washington I would stay here again and commend the owner for the quality of the room we had.

Room Tip: If you are able to climb stairs while lugging your stuff ask for a room on the top (third) floor for...
1 Thank Larry D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Chicago
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I've stayed here three times with my boyfriend. It's always a pleasant experience. The staff is wonderful and accommodating. The price can be expensive, but they often have deals on Living Social. The town is adorable. It's not lively, but great if you like walking on the pier. There's also a wine shop across the street which has tastings. The food is great and drinks are very reasonably priced. I'll definitely be back!

1 Thank Sara T
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed 11 July 2012

On a recent trip to Wisconsin to visit friends and family, my husband and I drove over to Port Washington on Lake Michigan. We stayed at the Port Hotel, a lovely, historic hotel in downtown Port Washington. The location was great--just a couple of blocks from the lake. It is also a short drive to the charming towns of Cedarburg and Grafton. As for the hotel, it was absolutely first class. The room was spacious, comfortable, and beautifully decorated. The bathroom was luxurious--granite vanity and a large, tiled shower. We had dinner in the hotel's restaurant and were very pleased with the Friday night buffet. Then there was the breakfast the next morning. We made our choices the night before from the vast menu that included omelets, stuffed french toast, bacon and eggs and just about anything you would want. The meal was delivered to our room and was served hot and delicious. Lastly, the staff was warm and friendly and helpful. For a hotel stay, we couldn't have asked for more and look forward to our next trip to The Port Hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Thanksalot
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Port Hotel this past weekend. We enjoyed our stay. The room was lovely and very clean. It is a nice hotel, but for the money, it lacks certain amenities. I feel like the owner could do so much more with it. There is a cute patio off the restaurant - out back - we sat out there and had a glass of wine one night, but never saw anyone else out there. They have lights in and out of the trees and I think lit up at night the patio could be quite charming. I think a nice wine and cheese get together in the evening would really add to the experience.

I did not like the fact that there was never anyone around. Once you are checked it - you never see the owner again. If there were no guests for the restaurant, the bar doors were always closed and locked. You could not go back in the evening and have a drink at the bar.

For such a nice hotel with great character, I think the owner needs to add some personal touches.

1 Thank leeney59
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 April 2012

My husband & I bought a Living Social deal for this adorable little hotel. We just needed a couple nights to recharge without our kids. We'd never been to Port Washington & weren't looking for excitement or to have any real agenda. This place was perfect! It had the service and individuality of a B&B without the tiny-ness and awkard-ness of having to dine with your hosts and fellow travelers. Our room was amazing (306)-huge comfy bed, a jacuzzi tub, large bathroom with great shower, a fireplace, little seating area & wet bar. Each morning they brought breakfast to our room (included in the deal) which was delicious. There's an extensive menu to select from & you can make substitutions or other requests. There were two minor, minor details that detracted from the perfectness of it. 1) No mini-fridge to keep a bit of wine, beer or snacks in so we had to keep asking for ice. 2) No full length mirror. Also-not a problem for us-but there's no elevator & the stairs were pretty steep, so go for a room on the 2nd floor if that might be an issue. We're vegetarian so we probably didn't get the best of what the hotel's restaurant had to offer for dinner-but it wasn't bad. Being April & a Sunday & Monday, the town was not too lively or exciting, but we could tell it would be a fun place in the summer. On the way home we stopped in Cedarburg for lunch and shopping-great!

Room Tip: The websites have photos of each. We loved 306 for the big comfy bed, plenty of room to spread out o...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank beckym777
Chicago
Reviewed 10 April 2012

The food was less than average and the service was nothing great. Had been here many years ago and it used to be the nicest place in town. Not so any more. I would not recommend to any one... especially the brunch...a total rip off!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We found this wonderful inn through a special with livingsocial.com. It seemed perfect for a quick night away one weekend. We chose Easter weekend - not thinking that many of the shops and activities would be closed. So, we spent quite a bit of time in the hotel. We reserved room 302, which was very large with a beautiful canopy bed and four large windows giving us a great views of the historic town below. The bed was very comfortable (great linens) and the gas fireplace added to the special ambiance of the weekend. The bathroom had wonderful Kohler fixtures and amenities like shampoo, conditioner, and a nice hair dryer. The room was very quiet on the third floor; however, if you're opposed to a large amount of stairs this is not the best choice. The gentleman who checked us in was very friendly and informative. The only downside is that there isn't anyone available much of the time (no front desk area). We had a telephone number for emergencies. I prefer having someone available for questions, suggestions and emergencies. The special we received included breakfast for two and we had a wonderful breakfast in the inn restaurant (Easter brunch). I would definitely recommend this inn - wonderful rooms!

Room Tip: Room 302 has a great view (4 large windows) and is quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Washington House Inn
#1 of 1 in Cedarburg
Downtown
Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown

Been to The Port Hotel Restaurant and Inn? Share your experiences!