“Romantice Stay!”
Review of The Port Hotel Inn

The Port Hotel Inn
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My boyfriend and I loved our stay at the Port Hotel. We took advantage of a Groupon deal and stayed a couple of nights in one of their suites. We each had a 30-minute massage (she came to our room), and breakfast brought to the room. We had a wonderful all-you-can-eat buffet of ribs, fried chicken, and shrimp in their restaurant (only $13 per person).
I do admit that staff can be a bit difficult to get ahold of (when it came to reserving the room), but we didn't really have issues once we arrived to check in.
The bartender was extremely accommodating when we asked for ice and was up to our room in minutes. The maids turned down our bed both days and put Ferrero Rocher chocolates on our pillows.
There is a little winery right across the street that was fun to try. Ask where to find Tello's Mexican restaurant...they have wonderful food. Also, go to Cedarburg, about 15 miles away, and walk the street of shops. This was an incredibly romantic getaway for us and we didn't want to leave!

Room Tip: Room 306 was great because it was right in the corner and faces Lake Michigan. Just keep in mind th...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandra110680

Reviewed 8 December 2013

This B&B located on Lake Michigan was nothing to get excited about. No one was to be found or even answer the phone until after 3pm, even when I was trying to make reservations. Good thing we got this trip as a gift! The staff was friendly but pretty absent. The rooms were clean but not as big as I expected. Our room faced the post office and other buildings. Not scenic. The breakfast was complimentary with our gift. It was buffet style, with about half of the food looking completely unappetizing. There was a made-to-order waffle and omelet bar though. Waffles were good, omelet was ok. We got wine (a screw off), chocolates (two individual pieces), and movie tickets (to a theater 20 miles away that only plays one movie, which started at 9:30pm and was a Disney movie...needless to say, we didn't make that). Again, good thing that this was a gift. It sounded much better than it really was. We won't be going back, especially if we were to have to pay. It was waaaaayyyy overpriced, in my opinion.

Room Tip: Room 305 had a electric fireplace and steam shower. Fireplace gave good heat, shower leaked a little...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RJ N
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed this past weekend with a Groupon deal that included a bottle of wine, breakfast (including Sun. Brunch!) and a movie pass for two in Cedarburg.

Room: it was gorgeous. Soft king size bed, sheets were awesome and fireplace lovely. It took a few minutes to figure out who to check on with but the server in the restaurant was very nice, asked if we needed help with luggage and took us to find the check in hostess, who was also the restaurant hostess. Rom was clean and serviced nicely.

Restaurant:
We ate at the restaurant both nights in part due to very cold weather and being somewhat tired, but really could not complain. Seafood buffet wa mostly good sea food ( fish, boiled and fried shrimp, broiled fish. Sides less good but- mayonnaise soaked bland salads and dried out fries, but the chowder was really good. We got a free bottle of wine and the charming server had it a coffee sent to our room with glasses and ice when we could not finish it. The second night my husband had a perfectly cooked good prime rib and I had a good, well cooked, but overly richly sauced Walleye. Oddly, they charge for hash browns, which I found strange, and wine way overpriced for such mediocre wines. Still the food was good, Great squash soup. There are some other good restaurants in town too, I am told, so you have choices.

Breakfasts: were tremendous. They have a brown sugar bacon that must be the food of the gods! First day breakfast bought up to room. No good place to eat it but good corned beef hash and the big breakfast was really big and delicious. That BACON!!! The only complaint is no place or way to get coffee in the am before your breakfast comes. On Sunday the put out coffee but ran out of cream but nothing on other days. Sunday brunch was pretty good. Some of the same uninspiring sides (jello salad???) but had ham, food-of-gods-bacon, peel and eat shrimp, Eggs Benedict, Belgian waffles and made to order omelets, oh and did I mention the bacon?????

Town: Port Washington had some nice shops including a new Duluth Trading Co.where the old Smith Bros. restaurant was. Cedarburg is always nice too. Movie at the theater there was great fun.

The worst thing in an otherwise great weekend was the second night some yahoo in ROOM 302 (You know who you are!!!!) kept their TV on Blaring until 4 am! I finally went up and knocked to say turn it down but either they were deaf, chicken, or the TV drowned me out and they did not answer. I suffered a couple more hours til they turned it down. Not the hotels fault, just rude guests!

We would definitely come back.Staff was universally friendly, helpful and it's a lovely place and very relaxing. Actually liked Port Washington's charm and laid back atmosphere better than Cedarburg. They might want fix up the outside as well as the inside and tweak it a bit (coffee!) but they are on to good thing here. You won't be sorry

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Marphilwi
Reviewed 4 October 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at the Port Hotel. We stayed Thur-Sun, so we got to enjoy breakfast in bed for two days and a very nice Sunday Brunch, all included in our rate. The food was very good and the staff very accommodating. The hotel is in a perfect location, right in town. We would definitely stay here again. The other reviews we read regarding check in right at 3pm and carrying your own luggage up stairs are correct, but these were not issues for us. This is an old quaint hotel which has been renovated beautifully. Highly recommend if you are in the Port Washington area!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We were going to book thru Living Social, but upon calling the Hotel for information they offered us a wonderful corporate rate and we had a great night away. We visited the winery across the street and also had a nice lunch near the water. In the evening we had Mexican Food in town. It was a wonderful fun weekend. The breakfast buffet (on Sunday) was the most amazing array of food I've ever seen and all so tasty.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dmtwohill
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I booked two nights at the Port Hotel through Groupon as a treat for my boyfriend's birthday. I can truthfully say that we were never as glad to go home after a weekend than we were after this trip! The hotel is not user-friendly - you ascend (slowly on very steep steps) two 20-stair flights to get to the rooms. There is no discernible office/checkin/receptionist area. You hunt it down, then are shown fairly lovely rooms. I will say that the bed was comfortable and room was very clean. We had a special Kohler water chamber shower - nearly impossible to figure as the diagrams on the faucet handles did not coincide with the temperature/settings. On our first night we ate at the Twisted Willow - we highly recommend it! Breakfast in our room the next morning was ok; my denver omlette though was tepid and the veggies raw. On the second night, we dined at the Port Restaurant at the hotel - yuck. That was the only way to get our free bottle of wine that came with the groupon special. It was a screw-top chardonnay! I ordered the chicken wellington (a speciality of the house) and it was too dry to eat. When the waitress finally came to clear our dishes (we tried to make eye contact with her during our meal but it seemed she was serving the entire room...) I complained about it, only to be told she wished I had mentioned it earlier. Well, I would have, given the chance! No discount, not even a comp dessert (which was also very dry - the choc. eclair torte), just another admonishment from the hostess that I should have told them sooner. Brunch the next day was a better. Watching drama between the harried omelette chef and the waitress was entertaining. Again at checkout - not a soul in site even though it was just a couple of minutes after 11am (checkout time! So we left our keys at the restaurant, and fled.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank maryjmo
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed at the Port Inn using a deal we found on Living Social. The offer was supposed to include a room, turndown service, a bottle of wine, tasting at a winery, and breakfast in the morning. When we arrived at the hotel, there was no signs for check-in. We wandered up the stairs to the second and third floor and no one was in sight. Back down to the first floor where we found a staff member in the bar who said "Is it 3 already?" It was indeed, however no one had made mention that 3:00 was the check-in time, no was a confirmation number even provided when we made the reservation. She showed us to our room (304), which was beautiful. Large king bed, beautiful fireplace, desk, Kohler bathroom and beautiful wood trim throughout. She went on to explain that the free wine tasting that comes with our packages happens only once a day, at 10:30am, at a winery 40 minutes away. Wish that had been more clear in the Living Social terms, as we had been looking forward to that but needed to be out of the area by that time. We received the bottle of wine at dinner downstairs and came back to find a Ferrero Rocher chocolate for each of us on our pillow. They had a relatively extensive breakfast menu to choose from, so I selected the Apple Cinnamon stuffed French toast which indicated that it was served with warm Wisconsin syrup. The French toast was very good, but imagine my disappointment when it was served with two small containers of Heinz syrup from Pittsburg, PA. All in all, the stay was ok. It was a nice weekend escape for my wife and I, but not sure this hotel was really worth a 2 hour drive, or that the Living Social was really much of a savings. Wish they would have included a bottle of wine from the winery across the street (and the tour there as well), chocolates from the local chocolate shop (Chocolate Chisel) and the real Wisconsin syrup with breakfast. It's a cute hotel, but all in all, not worth a penny more than $125 a night, including all the extras.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Cedarburg
Holiday Inn Port Washington
Holiday Inn Port Washington
#2 of 3 in Port Washington

Been to The Port Hotel Inn? Share your experiences!