“Great for a 1 star”
Review of Ridge Motor Inn

Ridge Motor Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Portage
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We arrived around 10 pm for check in. Our room was located in the far back area of the motel. The decor is dated and there are some stains on the floor. It could use a little paint and maintenance, but it was far from the filth infested Bates motel type ordeal one would expect from the other reviews.The beds were reasonably comfortable and the 5 of us (3 adults, 2 kids) had no problems sleeping in the double queen room. A roll away bed was provided at no extra cost. The bathroom was clean. The microwave, fridge, and coffee machine all functioned. The kids enjoyed swimming in the indoor pool in the morning before we headed out for sight seeing. The people there were friendly and helpful. If you are expecting the Ritz Carlton with a mint on your pillow, then this is not the place for you. It is a 1 star motor lodge...great for sleeping, cleaning up, a little TV watching, and maybe a morning swim. If we go back to Wisconsin, we will absolutely go back to the Ridge. The price to room all 5 of us was unbeatable.

Room Tip: Rooms nearest the back lot are closer to the pool and coffee machine.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 July 2013

I would not recommend this place as a first choice. We arrived 1/2-hour early before check-in and waited for someone to come to the counter. We were then told no rooms were ready. The woman at the front desk said check-in was at 3:00 which we had no problem with. We took our motorcycles back out (after all day of riding) and came back at 3:00. She did another check and simply said there are still no rooms ready. I told her we would need a room because it was now 3:00 and we were tired and hot. She was not very friendly. She made a couple of phone calls and tried to get the people to clean our room right away. It took another 30 to 40 minutes of waiting around. The restaurant is attached and she never made mention of having us wait in there (a free soda would have been nice while we waited). I found her to be rude and insincere. If it wasn't pre-paid, we were going to say forget it and leave. We also overheard her on the phone saying a banquet room and the pool were rented out for the afternoon so it would have been busy and noisy if we even wanted to use it. The motel was old, but the room was clean, although we had to ask how to get the air conditioner to work. We did later try out the bar and found the staff not very welcoming as well. We had one drink and left to go somewhere else and eat. Not a bad area, but nowhere to eat unless you want fast food or chanced the restaurant in the motel (which was empty at the supper hour).

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2013

The rooms have nice carpet and were clean. Although somewhat of a strange odor. The air conditioner was already on before we got there so that was nice. Has good access to shopping (walmart), banking and food.

The place is outdated and has a strange look and feel to it. Not a place I would want to stay with the family for very long. For a single person or couple without kids would be a better option.

If your just looking for a cheaper overnite stay I could suggest it. The drive to the Dells is pretty quick from this location.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 May 2013

The Ridge Motor Inn in Portage, WI is nasty. We had already paid for the room in advance and if I had know more about this motel in advance, I would have changed my plans. From the start, upon our arrival the front desk clerk was out front smoking and smelled like stale cigarettes. Rather ditzy in my opinion she didn't seem all together. The carpets throughout are worn, dirty, and very stained. The decor got stuck somewhere in 1975. We asked for a room with 2 queen beds and got a room with 2 Full beds, with which you can feel the springs in the mattress. The carpets are nasty and stained in the room as well... I made sure (seriously) that I wore foot coverings at all times, that's how skanky the carpet is. Needless to say, I travelled on a budget otherwise I would already be out of here. In my opinion, the accomodations are sub-par for the price, dirty, worn, and the help is less then attentive and enthusiastic. DO NOT STAY HERE!

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank 5,314,253,142
Reviewed 24 February 2013

this place sucks. i am here on business i guess you can call it. i am here with my company that i work for and we travel around the states. so anyways the rooms look like they are from the 80's they need a major remodel and dont count on bringing your computer because you wont be able to get on the internet. been here 3 days now and havent been able to yet. The front desk says yeah we keep reseting it dont know whats wrong with it. i can tell you whats wrong with it, call someone to fix the dang thing. They have 60 to 70's style carpet, wallpaper, peeling off. cracks in every seam of the ceiling. this place just plain sucks. oh they have snow also and dont know how to clean their parking lot asnd put salt down so when its really cold at night and it freezes its ice out there and i done had a guys slip and hurt his self.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 February 2013

My husband and I are from Virginia and we went there for a little over 2 months for his work. We stayed at the Ridge and we really enjoyed it. It was great to have a pool and hot tub and also a full fitness club downstairs. Overall, I think it is a nice place for the price that you pay. We would definitely stay there again if we ever need to venture back to Wisconsin!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I met my mom there for a night before heading back to our place. The place was dirty. There were bugs inside the picture glass and the pillow was stained. I will not be going back; even with the low price.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jim G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portage
Days Inn Portage
Clarion Hotel and Convention Center
Super 8 Portage
Super 8 Portage
#1 of 6 in Portage

Been to Ridge Motor Inn? Share your experiences!