“Beyond satisfied for the price”
Review of Ridge Motor Inn

Ridge Motor Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Portage
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
“Beyond satisfied for the price”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I was looking for a place to stay for a week while relocating for work to this area, and Ridge Motor Inn beat the next-closest low rate by nearly $15 a night. I stayed by myself in what I was told was the 'worker' rooms, meaning those that were not remodeled but still functional. I'll say that for the rate I got, being just under $40 a night during the week, to have a decent bed, microwave, coffee maker, A/C unit, fridge, free wi-fi, and nice bathroom is an awesome deal. That's not even to mention the pool, arcade, and fitness center, as I didn't get time to indulge in any of those.

Housekeeping did a great job each day, as I anticipated with this rate that they may do minimal, if any cleaning. I've seen rooms costing $100+ that don't include a fridge, so that was a terrific benefit to store some groceries in and reduce my cost even further. Although my initial check-in wasn't with the friendliest clerk, I did ask one of the nights about pool access and she was very friendly and helpful.

Don't expect top dollar if you're not paying it. Sure, this room looks like it may have not seen a decor upgrade in the last 20-30 years, but if you want a comfortable place to sleep with nice amenities and a good rate, stay here. You're right by the 39 interchange and just a few minutes from 90/94, and there's a bunch of food/grocery options on the highway. Great location, great rooms, good service, and awesome price. Surpassed my expectations!

Room Tip: I can only suggest a worker room for sleeping 1-2 people for the nice rate
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank hend6

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

First off, if you're looking for a 5 star hotel don't bother. The building is dated and the place could use some tlc. However, for about 75 bucks a night there is a lot of good things to say about it. It has a full fitness center below. Older equipment but lots of weights, treadmills, ellipticals, and even a room for aerobics. It offers a pool, hot tub, sauna, free coffee all day, ice machine, small arcade room, and fridges in the room. It also always had good hot water and good room service. We took advantage of a lot of it on our 5 day vacation. Saved some money refilling coolers here and storing left overs. It's also right next door to a Walmart, several restaurants and quite a few other stores. It's about 20 minutes or so from the dells in case that influences your decision. There were a few minor spots that were overlooked in the cleaning process and a a few spots that could use a little paint which gave it four stars. The pros by far outweigh the cons though and we'd definitely stay again!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jacob C
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Front desk service was great, room was clean with new carpet. Wifi was strong. Pool and hot tub were wonderful. Free coffee all day, no breakfast, but there is an attached restaurant, and several nearby. Can't beat it for the price. We'll stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Karen M
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Clean facility but needs an overall update. Exterior security never was operational. :( Exhaust fan in bath was extremely noisy. Door had to be shut to use it. Lighting fixtures were broken. Carpet at door thresholds worn and pulled away. No hair dryer in room. No free breakfast provided. It was an old Best Western, now it's an older Worst Ridge.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 7JNJ
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Not only did they go outta there way to make my night perfect their customer service was amazing. Not only were they professional but they know how to make someone laugh. Joe not only did me a huge favor but also open doors for his clients. This place is the place to stay even if it ls for a long time or just one night. I know we're I'm going for the rest of my hotel stays! Such a great place and environment!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank aabrams5477
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I booked 4 rooms, staying 2 nights and all the rooms close to each other or at least the same floor as requested, Tracey the front desk lady was clear about my reservation. All I can say is WOW. Worst customer service I've ever gotten. When we checked in a little after 3pm, 3 rooms were 2nd floor and the 1 room was on the 3 floor. Not only that, there were NO rollaways as requested and paid for. I called JOE, the front desk guy and asked to see if there were any rooms on 2nd floor? He told me no and that there was nothing he can do in a very rude way. So, i told him i wasn't very pleased because I have made these reservations months ago. I was told that it wasn't their problem and that I would need to talk to the OWNER Rick which he would be in the next day and then was hunged up. I have no problem waiting for the owner because this is by far the WORST customer service I've ever gotten. While we waited 30 minutes for our rollaways with NO pillows, the Front Desk lady handed the rollaway to my sister in laws in a snotty way. This place is NOT very welcoming. I get a phone call in our room on 3rd floor from JOE, that there WAS a room on 2nd to switch. After we switched rooms, I thought ok everything is fine now BUT nope. This room was dirty and was NOT vacuumed at all. I just got tired calling back. I wished I could of post pictures of the room because you probably wouldn't want to stay here. I just don't understand if people are writing these reviews you think the owner or management would do something about. DO NOT stay here period! Pay a little more and stay somewhere else that's all I have to say.

Room Tip: Do Not stay here, PERIOD!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Yerher1488

Travellers are raving about these Portage hotels

Saint Peter, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I come to portage at least 5 times a year. I called on 06-05-14. I talked to a gentleman name Joe. He was very polite and very helpful. I made a last minute reservation and hotel was quite full but he managed to find me a room to take care of all my needs. The pool was amazing and was able to use the fitness center. If you want a hotel the will cater to you this is the place to stay. We will be holding our family reunion here later this year.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Brayden J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portage
Best Western Resort Hotel & Conference Center
Days Inn Portage
Days Inn Portage
#4 of 6 in Portage
Comfort Suites Wisconsin Dells Area
Best Western Baraboo Inn
Clarion Hotel and Convention Center
Quality Inn & Suites

Been to Ridge Motor Inn? Share your experiences!