“Get what you pay for I guess...”
Review of Days Inn Portage

Days Inn Portage
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Portage
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My 3 friends and I stayed here for one night during a mini-ski trip. This place boasts being "one of the closest hotels to Cascade Mountain Ski Resort." This is true- the location is convenient. However, the hotel is kinda run down. It looks shady on the outside- there were a bunch of semi-trucks parked right in the lot, right next to a gas station and not much else. The room was small (which was fine) but it was like they did not clean it properly before we came. The bathroom seemed clean, which was good- but every single one of our pillows had little black hairs on them- like either dog hairs (you can pay a fee to have your pet here) stuck in the fibers of the pillowcase or eyelashes. We noticed really late and we were really tired, so we sucked it up and slept on them anyway (kinda gross, I know). We also found a "vaporizer" in a case (i.e.pot smoking device, and yes there were little buds of weed stuck in the inside of the case and it smelled like pot) near the base of the bed, so they obviously did not take much time in cleaning the room, because this thing was not that tiny (about the size of a camera in a case). The free continential breakfast was decent. The dining area was very small- we brought the food back to our room to eat- but they did have make-your-own belgium waffles which were delicious. Then they had eggs (yuck), bacon (did not try) and cereal, juice, yogurt, and bagels with PB and J, cream cheese, etc. Overall, the breakfast was okay- they did have coffee with flavored creamers (vanilla and hazelnut), which is awesome in my opinion. The guy who worked the front desk (manager maybe) was super nice and helpful, and gave us good tips on skiing and they offer a nice discount for ski lift tickets and both Cascade and Devil's Head. We didn't get a chance to check out the pool or hottub- but they do have them, indoor. We paid $60 for 1 queen sized bed on Hotwire (we thought we could get 2 regular beds- they were out of those rooms cause the hotel was full). Overall, although I would like to recommend this hotel due to the friendly employees, I would not really. I would have rather paid a little more for a cleaner room. I suspect if we had asked, they would have gladly given us new pillows...but if the pillows were like that, it only leads me to imagine how well the rest of the room is taken care of on a regular basis. If you want a cheap, easy place to stay near Cascade and don't care too much about the condition of the room, this is your place!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Days Inn Portage

Reviewed 13 February 2012

We spent 2 years in a row staying here at a weeks time. We found that less is more. Staff was very friendly and informative. We got free passes to different waterparks each year. It's quiet without the ton of congestion that you get when staying in the dells. It's worth the drive to stay here. Beds were the typical days inn beds which when your used to premium pillow top can be rough but not horrible. When we asked if we could get a king they happen to have one and it included at same price a refrigerator and basic stove. Breakfast was great in the mornings but wish it could stay open a little later as we were late risers. But overall if you want direct access to highway, cheap rates, friendly staff, and a quiet hotel go here!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 20 January 2012

My brother and I went up to Wisconsin for a three day ski trip at Cascasde Mountain. This hotel was a great place to crash at the end of a long day of skiing. The hotel was less than a 10 minute drive to the hill and was very easy to access being that it is right off the main interstate. Nothing really over the top or special about the rooms or the hotel overall. A nice touch was the free hot breakfast that we enjoyed every morning before heading to the slopes. The only thing I would call a "downfall" about this particular hotel was the noise, the walls felt think and you could hear people in the hallway.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Our family stayed here over New Years Eve, creating a weekend of skiing and swimming for our kids. I am not certain you will ever find a better value! Three nights lodging, Two days of skiing, Dells Waterpark and complimentary breakfast for $650.00! The staff was friendly, hardworking, helpful and eager to do whatever necessary to make our stay pleasing. The pool and hot tub were adequate as well! (and if you want bigger and louder... you can go to the Dells!) This is not luxury hotel, nor do they claim to be -- they do promise the best value "under the sun" and they deliver in a big way! Thanks for a very nice family weekend....

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Very nice, pet-friendly hotel in a scenic location. It was clean and the staff were friendly. The pool area was nice and the pool water was very warm. The breakfast was good with a nice variety of options including delicous waffles. There are also a few restuarants within walking distance. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
DaysInn5066, Manager at Days Inn Portage, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. Thank you for all of the compliments about our property and our amenities. We strive to provide our guests with the best possible stay through our high standards of cleanliness and friendly, professional staff. Judging by your experience with us we have suceeded. Once again, thank you for your review of your stay. We look forward to serving you on your next visit to the Portage area.

Yours in Hospitality,

Brei Fingerson
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 2 September 2011

I've never stayed in a Days Inn before. Have to say I was scared after reading reviews from other guest, but for once had an optimistic view on things. Well, glad I listened to myself and not others. The room was fine, nothing broken or smelly, they cleaned the room and we got passes to the water park for the length of our stay. Have to say only downside was a bit further than I expected from the water park we had passes to other than that I would recommend the place. The staff was friendly and I didn't have any issues, they were even nice when my daughter locked the safe and I had no idea what code she used, lol. Anyways, everyone has their own experience with this place obviously because there is a review on here where the person was there the same time I was and had a horrible experience. Well, to each his own I guess.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your experience during your stay with us. We are pleased that your first experience with a Days Inn hotel was with us and we hope you continue having positive stays at other Days Inn hotels as well. We would have to agree that it is a bit of a drive to the waterpark, but we have gotten very positive feedback about the experiences our guests have had there. The room safes are definitely kid magnets! It's nice to know that you experienced our high quality of hospitality during your stay. We look forward to serving you again on your next trip to the Portage area.

Yours in Hospitality,

Brei Fingerson
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 31 August 2011

We found the Days Inn to be the perfect place for a one night stay in the Wisconsin Dells area. The price was perfect and the hotel was a great value for the price. The lobby looks to be newly renovated and was very welcomming, the room we had looked to have newer furniture and fixtures and although some maintenance was needed for things like the carpet and walls, the room was just right for the price. The swimming pool needed a bit of work as the liner was coming loose, but it still allowed for a relaxing swim. The continental breakfast also included scrambled eggs and sausage along with the standard fare of breads, cereal and coffee. While it was not the most luxurious hotel, it was perfect if you are heading to the Dells area. They also include water park passes to Chula Vista Resort which was an added bonus and a very nice touch!

Room Tip: We chose a suite with a refrigerator and microwave, if you have the chance - spend the little extra...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portage
Comfort Suites Wisconsin Dells Area
Quality Inn & Suites
Devils Head Resort
Devils Head Resort
#1 of 1 in Merrimac

Been to Days Inn Portage? Share your experiences!