“Wonderful experience”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

I really wish we had a place like this in the suburbs of Chicago. The bar is large and comfortable. Wine list has plenty of selections with a range of prices. The cheese curds are to die for. Definately homemade not frozen. The salad bar had a selection and also had a cheese table. My husband and I ate the ribeye. It was perfectly cooked and had a great flavor. One of the better ribeyes we ever had. I had a delicious Brandy Alexander for dessert. Our waitress Jennifer was a gem.

1  Thank Michelle M

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We love supper clubs! It is one of the things I grew up with in Wisconsin and while there are a few in Iowa, Wisco has the best supper clubs hands down-they even have books about Wisconsin Supper Clubs! Let me give you the bullet point version of how great this place is (that is if you like old school panelled walls, sunken bars, salad bars and good eats):
1. Brandy Old Fashioned Sweet. Since we were kicking it old school, i thought i would order and Old Fashioned Sweet. The glass was huge. I had to hold it with both hands! It tasted AWESOME and reminded me of snowmobiling with my family back in the day in the WI northwoods.
2. Sunken bar. I felt like i was in somone's rec room in 1970. It was so wonderfully retro.
3. Salad Bar. They had pickled herring! If they had braunschweiger I would have been in heaven but the pickled herring and pickled beets helped soften my minor disappointment in the lack of liverwurst. (p.s. i never thought i would have said that, but as i got older braunschweiger started to taste good and so did beets).
4. Warm loaf of bread. delicious, warm. only downfall was the waitress took it away when she brought our food.
5. Prime rib. Huge piece of meat (don't be dirty) and it was cooked to perfection!

Now with all good there comes some not so good.
1. Impossible to contact. I started calling at 4:30 and no answer. I kept calling and no answer. At 5:30 the line was busy, busy busy. How do you make a reservation?
2. We left at 8pm and they were out of prime rib. I think it was open at 5 and they only had 3 hours for prime rib. If it is your special for the evening, don't you think you would have enough to last you? I know there was a party of 14 getting seated when we left and if they were hankering for some prime rib they were going to be sorely disappointed.
3. When you have to wait you get a pager, but it doesn't actually work. It has a number on it and they take your name and just call your name. Why not ditch the pager and hand outnumbers? I kept waiting for the pager to beep, light up or vibrate but nope. It's like some other restaurant went belly up and they had a garage sale and this place bought their old paging system. weird.
4. Tap beer is limited. No bud, no miller, just two beers from a colorado microbrew were the only two beers on tap. It didn't bother me since i was knocking back the B-O-F-S like they were going out of style, but my father in law would have been pissed! Oh and the way there were pouring beer from the tap leads me to think that some bacteria is growing in there so steer clear from the tap beer and just order a B-O-F-S like the blue hairs do!

Overall, a great meal and the price was super reasonable for the vast amount of food I consumed!

1  Thank Henrysmom0614
Reviewed 23 October 2013

seriously, yes you are a small town with a nice restaurant but it's NO RuthChris.
You have NO competition, if you did you would be in big trouble. Your staff is owed a tip, they have to work for it.
Your kitchen staff can be heard in the dining room yelling.
mix up the menu a bit and change around some non-steak items to be more flavorful rather than sauce from a box or mix.
Seriously in need up some updates and appreciation from the people who keep you open in this small town.
Be ware you may have competition one day..then what??

1  Thank 2013robertsmith20
Reviewed 23 October 2013

While in the Prairie du Chien area we decided to go to Jones' Black Angus for dinner. This was our second visit and again we had an wonderful dinner. Since it was a special event for us, it was nice to relax and enjoy the supper club atmosphere. This time we had the crab legs, they were excellent!! and more food than we could eat! The last time we had steaks and they were excellent as well. They offer a very wide selection of entrees on their menu and prices are not out of line. Also have a large salad bar, cheese & fruit bar and of course wonderful dessert choices (if you still have room). The staff were all friendly and helpful if you have any questions on the menu and very efficient in handling the busy crowd. Would recommend that you call for reservations however they will accomodate you without one but your wait will be longer. We will defintely return to this supper club.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

My husband & I traveled for the fall colors and had dinner here. Great steak dinner and salad bar. Our server was so friendly. Nice and casual but good food!