“Perfect place to get away” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prairie du Chien

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prairie du Chien
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Prairie du Chien
“Perfect place to get away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

This is by far the best hotel in the area, mostly by default, however, it does better than what it was meant to do. By that I mean that it served all our needs beyond what is typically needed. The 2 room suite seemed very clean, modern, and spacious with a nice view of greenspace. The bathroom was a little tight and a poorly located doorstop (needs the kind hung on the hinges, not bolted to the floor in middle of room). That aside, the king bed was very comfortable, the central ac worked great on a 100 degree day, and the pullout sofa was comfortable for our teenage boys. Two tv's, while standard, are nice in a suite, as are the fridge and microwave, if only they offered pay-per-view movies as well.
My only real complaint was that upon arrival there was no "bell cart", as the only one they had must of been in use for over an hour in someone's room. It probably would foster the hotel to have at least two on premise. Also, that they extend their free breakfast time an extra hour to 10:00 AM. Alternately, the checkout time was 12 noon which allowed for a morning swim for the boys, a jacuzzi for me, and a leisurely quiet AM for my wife.
As for the "water park", it might not be much to some, but coming home from Wisc Dells, it was more than enough to keep myself and our 2 boys content for several hours. I don't think the room rates reflect any real "premium" for the pool area as indicated by other reviewers, compared to any other hotel, they were fairly in line. It fit all our needs including the large jacuzzi, and certainly would be perfect for families with young children and tots as well.
Further, the attached bar and grill were perfect for a late evening dinner and a couple of cocktails. The service by Robin was "great", as was the food (I had the homemade pizza, my wife was satisfied with a large chicken salad, and the portions of burgers and chicken were ample enough to fill my boys insatiable appetites). We also were able to get in a few games of family 8-ball on the pool table, with the jukebox playing lively music to boot. Finally, we forgot one of our phone chargers in the room and the hotel is mailing it to us. We will definitely stay there again if ever in the area.

Room Tip: Apparently, they have some "2 room" suites that are not fully separated. Be specific if y...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prairie du Chien, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are happy to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Waterloo, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

We stayed here for a family party. I am in a wheelchair and was shocked the $148 room rate would not be reduced as we obviously would not be using the 'waterpark". The waterpark is geared to small children, not teens or adults. We reserved a handicap accessible room and this was anything but accessible. There was a regular bathtub (no roll-in shower, no grab bars, no seat or chair in tub) ..nothing to indicate accessibility. For this reason, we were told they had given us an upgraded room with a whirlpool. Really? If a person is unable to get into a bathtub they certainly can't get in and out of a whirlpool/spa! I am amazed another reviewer got a rate of $45 when I specifically called for a reduced rate as we would not be using the waterpark. I was told the waterpark is automatically included in the room price and no reductions would be allowed. For these reasons, I would never stay at a Country Inn & Suites in the future, nor would I recommend this property to others.

Room Tip: Go to a different place if you need an accessible room
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prairie du Chien, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. Please call Bobbie Jo at 608-326-5700, at your earliest convenience. We would like to remedy this situation.
Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

I stayed with a group of 28 and found it basic and just what we needed for an in-out stay. The front desk was very helpful, though members of my group said when they called for maintenance issues, they were ignored. Hair dryer in our room didn't work. Breakfast was fine. Mattresses were excellent...some of the best I've ever had in a hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Iowachick19
amybahnsen, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prairie du Chien, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy you enjoyed your time at the hotel.

I will make sure to address your concerns with our team.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in April 2012. It was not what I expect from a Country Inn & Suites. The staff at check-in was not very helpful. They did not point out where anything in the hotel was, basically gave me the key and said there you go.The room itself was very dated, time for a remodel. It is connected to what they call a "waterpark". I knew it wouldn't be much going in, not what we planned the trip around. The waterpark consists of a pool, a childrens pool, and 1 waterslide. This is not a Wisconsin Dells hotel, so like I said, wasn't expecting too much. Downside to the "waterpark" is that there were kids running up and down the hall banging on doors after 10p.m. The hotel staff did not do anything about it, so I finally stuck my head out the door and yelled at them myself. That seemed to do the trick. If I do go back to Prairie Du Chien, I will be staying at a different hotel. On the upside, this property is located next door to Cabelas.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank btg172
amybahnsen, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prairie du Chien, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We apologize for the inconveniences at our property. We would like to extend a discounted offer if you should choose to give us another try. Please contact the General Manager at 608-326-5700. Thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you again.
Portland, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I'm used to Country Inn & Suites being great places, and was excited when a $45 priceline bid got me in here, but now I know why. This is the most dated Carlsson property I've inhabited.

Breakfast was the usual great, and internet connection was fine, but pool was for kids and room was small. Shower flow was so-so. HVAC unit fan was way too noisy and airflow was smelly in a truly bad way. Glad we could open window and that we didn't mind the nearby active train tracks. Easy walking distance to a smaller Cabela's; property on the north side out of town. Nice that a bar and restaurant are attached (but we didn't try them).

Gotta tell ya - front desk staff was superb coming in, sullen and uncommunicative upon checkout. Hope you get the nice guy instead of the grumpy gal!

Room Tip: Ask for a backside room upstairs if you want to watch trains. Because of their whistles, you can...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
amybahnsen, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prairie du Chien, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Port Washington, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

The worst part was the maid banging on the door, I open it standing with my luggage and she's growling, "IT'S PAST 12 O'CLOCK CHECK OUT!" It was 12:05pm. I got a dirty look as I walked out.

The newer room was nice, but the treadmills in the exercise room didn't work, the pool is a water park for kids, the in-house Buckhorn bar stops serving food at 9PM (the bar web site was last updated in 2007) and the hotel is located on the far north side of Prairie du Chien. No one was at the desk for me to complain to, same thing when I checked in, no one there. Scrappy.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BuzzWilliams

Travellers are raving about these Prairie du Chien hotels

Farmington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

We wont be staying there again. We were looking forward to using the jacuzzi tub, but tried filling it with hot water and there was none. Tried again the next day before checking out and there was no hot water at all, not even the showers. Its not worth the upgrade.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
#9 of 12 in Prairie du Chien
Trickling Waters Retreat
Trickling Waters Retreat
#1 of 1 in Marquette

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prairie du Chien? Share your experiences!