“just stayed there and very satisfied”
Review of Windsor Place Inn

Windsor Place Inn
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Prairie du Chien
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“just stayed there and very satisfied”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Watch the signs as it is around the corner, as the sign says. Host very friendly and helpful. Room was probably 5 star for us. Very clean and comfortable. Spacious. Micro and frig were a
bonus.. The breakfast was very good and had a good variety.
Price was reasonable and we will be staying there again in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rosanne B

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Missouri
Reviewed 12 August 2013

The good part is that the room was very large and it had a very large TV. Now the rest. Housekeeping staff was apparently very lacadasical as we found a used bar of soap in the shower. Carpets need shampooed, not "really" dirty but a bit tacky. Worst was the plastic covering the mattress. To their credit they had a pad between the mattress and sheets, but still it prevented a good sleep. The free breakfast was on par with an Econolodge. We ate elsewhere. In fact, everything was on par with Econolodge. Nothing was terrible or totally unacceptable. It's just that for $133, I'd expected much better. Half that cost would have been about right.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Vancamper
Nampa, Idaho
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I have few complaints and enjoyed my stay at the Windsor Place Inn. The room I was checked into was clean and very large. It had two queen beds and still had room for a couch and coffee table with room to spare. I felt like I should have brought more luggage to fill up the empty spaces. Definitely no worry that I might bump into a maze of furniture during a trip to the bathroom in the dark. There was a large flat screen TV on one wall and more than enough channels to keep me happy.

The bathroom was clean and had the most counter space I have every seen in a hotel. I don't know if it was just the room I was checked into or if all rooms have them but there was pump hand soap dispenser for the sink. I don't know if they wanted me to feel at home or they just didn't want to buy the typical small hotel soap bars.

In the shower/tub there was a wall hanging soap and shampoo dispenser. I have always found these kind of weird. I never know how long the shampoo has been in there and what else might have been added. This in-shower dispenser was in a bad location too. To use it required pushing the shower curtain open a little and I never figured out how to dispense shampoo without dripping water on the bathroom floor next to the tub.

The breakfast in the front lobby wasn't spectacular but it was tasty. I don't know why but the waffle iron was hard to master. If one didn't very thoroughly coat the surface with non-stick spay the waffle wasn't coming out. The waffles were good once they were pried out.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Dirk9
Reviewed 30 June 2013

The manager matched the price of a competitor hotel that was full. He came in and helped with the fold out couch a even dressed it for us! Rooms were very clean and big enough for three adultsThe breakfast was fantastic. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Cb8978
Reviewed 26 August 2012 via mobile

We checked in on Saturday afternoon for a 4:00pm wedding. Our room (204) was large with 2 firm queen beds and a sofa bed. Two high back arm chairs and a coffee table as well. Large 42" flat screen TV and a spacious bathroom. The toilet seat was in need of replacement but was useable. We were please with the accomodations in the room. The pool and hot tub were acceptable, rather small but ok. Our overall experience was a good one.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank John M
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 January 2012

My Wife and I stayed here for the Christmas weekend and we were very happy with our accomodations.
The hotel was very clean. The bed was harder than we like,but sleepable. The room was absolutely quiet, which is a plus anywhere I stay.
The whirlpool was covered when we went to enjoy it, but the staff there was very happy to uncover it and explain how to use it.
Both mornings we really enjoyed the continental breakfasts, which was stocked with fresh fruit, danish, cereals and toaster items. We particularly enjoyed the waffles!!! When we get back to Prairie Du Chien we will be sure to stay there again! We highly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve B
Wilton, Iowa
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Stayed at the Windsor Place Inn one night, Sept. 6, 2011. The room we stayed in, 102, was a handicapped room, although we did not ask for one. The bed was a king size, and the hardest mattress I have ever slept, or tried to sleep on. Very uncomfortable to me, but my wife slept fine, so a matter of taste I guess. The room was large and in good shape. Also very clean. There was a refrigerator, and a microwave oven. There was a large wide screen TV mounted on the wall, but no HD programming was provided. I didn't try the advertised free WI-FI. The bathroom was large and clean, lots of handles everywhere, and a fold down seat on the tub, to accommodate handicapped guests. We heard some noise from other rooms, and traffic outside, but nothing unreasonable.

When we arrived I asked about the hours for the pool and hot tub, and was then informed the hot tub was "under construction". There was no indication of this on their website, and we were not informed when making the reservation over the phone directly with the motel. We would have stayed elsewhere if we had known ahead of time, we enjoy relaxing in a hot tub after a day on the road.

When we walked in on arrival, there was a sign on the front desk saying that the clerk was shuttling guests and would be back in twenty minutes! After we sat for about fifteen minutes, the desk clerk returned. She then told us as part of the check in process that the front desk was open 24 hours a day if we had any questions, I guess unless they had to shuttle more guests! I have never experienced a hotel or motel being totally unattended before. What if there was a real emergency, such as a fire, or what would stop someone from going behind the counter and accessing customers personal information, credit card numbers and such?

The room was fine, and with better management this could be a good property, but as of now I cannot recommend it.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank pjpeck
windsorplaceinn, Owner at Windsor Place Inn, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Dear PjPeck,
Thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor and also for choosing the Windsor Place Inn for your stay. We value your business and feedback. Thank you for your positive comments about the size of the room and the cleanliness. However, I am disappointed in finding out that you had a negative experience. I do apologize for that and I want to let you know that we have taken steps forward to improving the hotel. One of the changes we have made to our shuttling service is that the manager is now at the hotel so it is not unattended. Again please accept our apologies and we thank you for your business.

Windsor Place Inn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prairie du Chien
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Prairie du Chien
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham...
#2 of 12 in Prairie du Chien
Bluffview Inn & Suites
Bluffview Inn & Suites
#5 of 12 in Prairie du Chien
Super 8 Prairie du Chien
Super 8 Prairie du Chien
#3 of 12 in Prairie du Chien
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Prairie Du Chien
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Prairie...
#1 of 12 in Prairie du Chien
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prairie du Chien
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#4 of 12 in Prairie du Chien
Cobblestone Inn and Suites Marquette, IA/Prairie Du Chien

Been to Windsor Place Inn? Share your experiences!