“Old Wisconsin charm” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Spring Lake Inn

Spring Lake Inn
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Holland, Michigan
“Old Wisconsin charm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stopped for a weekday lunch, so can't comment on the weekend rib specials. The place is the kind of bar/restaurant my dad loved--and that has been replaced by all the Denny's, Culver's, and Subways. We ate in the room to the right of the bar, and sat near the window that looks out on the bluff behind the building. Just outside the window were 4 or 5 bird feeders, so we had mealtime entertainment. Since we ordered lunch entrees (not just salads or sandwiches), we began with the relish tray--celery, carrots, peppers, olives, green onions, a little cup of ham spread. I had not seen that for twenty years at least! Our meals--ribs, peel and eat shrimp, and stroganoff (the day's special)--were all fine. The guys had Wisconsin beers. Service was competent and speedy.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Barbara M

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Prime rib Saturday night is fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

Go early. They start serving dinner at 4:00. We got there about 5:00 and finally got seated around 6:00 for dinner. We ordered the small portion and it filled the plate with little room for the potato. This is the best prime rib I've ever had and cooked perfectly. It came with a salad and dinner roll. We also had a platter of veggies and crackers with a ham spread too. You will not leave hungry. The place is fairly small and people are everywhere but well worth the wait. It's under new ownership now but all the staff are the same. The outside of the building has gotten a face lift and looks really nice. The inside is unchanged. No need to dress up but do not wear anything tight waisted...just say'in.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank culater123
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“Too stressful and no service on weekend.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

First: This place has good food, and the prices are good too. It is VERY small, and takes no credit cards. On the weekends, it's packed, even if you go a little later. As a result, there was no parking, no one to greet us, and NO service at all. Maybe that's on us for going on the weekend, because the place was obviously beyond capacity.

After more than an hour wait, it came our time. We were whisked back to our table. The server returned and basically said, "On your marks, get set-- GO!" I ordered a burger, which I had before and loved. I was not asked how I wanted it cooked. When I asked, I was told it comes well done. I requested medium rare. It came well done. There was a long wait for the food, but a nice vege plate was provided. The server was very hurried, but not rude. She wanted to drop and go and we almost had to grab her apron to ask for anything else, ie, a drink, ketchup, etc. What can I say, the place is very busy on weekends, and the crew's demeanor reflects that fact (and seems to be that it will always stay that way.) To be fair, I'll try it again on a weekday sometime. No more weekends for me. It's not worth it.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Stratman808
Hinckley, Illinois, United States
“Worth the 4 hour drive!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

We live 4 hours (exactly 4 hours) from this restaurant, and have made the trip many times over the years. The Saturday night prime rib is the very best you will ever have. period. We have had several other items on their menu as well (A++ to the scallops), but we never pass up the prime rib! Be prepared to wait for a table, but you will not be disappointed. The servers run their butts off, but are always friendly. If you leave this place hungry, it's your fault not theirs! They do everything right at this little roadside restaurant :)

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank BobbieWalley
Ames, Iowa
“Can't miss this place when in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

Great food. My wife and I had the prime rib on Saturday night. It was excellent. I have never had a cut of beef that big. And I got the medium sized cut. Very nice relish tray as well. Service was fast and very good. We got there after the rush on a sat night, around eight. It was very busy earlier. Everything was just great and reasonably priced. Under forty for two people both eating prime rib and a drink. Be sure to bring cash though, no credit debit accepted.

• Visited September 2013