“Definitely get what you pay for.”
Review of Knights Inn Racine

Knights Inn Racine
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Racine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Michigan
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We pasted through Racine on a Saturday night when some big event was going on. Knights Inn had the only rooms left. The lobby stunk of cigarette smoke. The owner or manager was on the phone for ever. Everything looked worn. Then we noticed a sign on the desk that, paraphrased said that they don't condone drug selling or any number of vices. ... and like another reviewer said below, the police were parked in the street right across form the office. We opted to drive to Milwaukee and found the last room at a Days Inn so never were in a room. Creepy place.

Room Tip: go somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Brian H
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

Welllll this little gem of a hotel if you could call it that was just something that you can imagine in one of those movies about inner city gangs. There was a cop car parked for the day on watch right in front of the hotel. Walking into the hotel there is a glass window with a small cubby in the bottom to exchange paper for the night shift, my boyfriend and I looked at each other as we both knew we were in for an adventure. Check in in the main lobby area was generally painless it's hard to believe this is a Wyndham hotel. The guy working at the desk was polite enough but didn't overly seem to know or care what was going on. We had originally booked a king suite more as a joke to see what awesomeness we could find but they over booked and all they had was a room with two double beds. There was one table for breakfast but it was instantly decided we wouldn't be sticking around long enough in the morning to see what would be for breakfast.
When we got to our room there was a variety of people standing around and we opened our door to see something that looked like an inviting place for a "high class" lady friend. The bathroom was not clean the tub had black dirt around the top and there was grime all around the edge. Pretty sure the pillows were filled with saw dust the bedding was clean thank god even though I slept fully clothed just to be sure, I was too scared to look any further into the filth in that room in fear of what I may find.
At check out we had the topping to the cake when my very white boyfriend went to check out the East Indian man that was working referred to him as "ma n***a". Really??? Wow this hotel was not worth the points I used on it I would not have paid for a room and service like this.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rosemary142

Travellers are raving about these Racine hotels

appleton
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Room stunk. Curtain rod barely hanging on the wall. Wiped surfaces with a wash cloth - was BLACK with filth. Nicotine stains running down the walls. White powder all over the floor, on the door, heavy in the edges and corners - couldn't let my dog in the room until I cleaned it. Got in bed and there were toenails!! between the sheets - probably never changed. Another friend had BLOODY sheets - !!!! This hotel used to be my place to go for the Racine/Cudahy dog shows. Every year for 25 years. I will not go back there. When I gave the filthy cloth to the manager at check out, you'd think she'd give me something for the fact that I cleaned - just made a face and threw the rag in the back. The pillow was nothing but a series of lumps - I couldn't even punch it into submission. ---- won't be going back here again ----

Room Tip: Never go there. It is not worth even the cheap price.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 July 2013

My husband and I booked 2 nights at the Knight's Inn months in advance for a race I was doing there. I knew the place wouldn't be top-notch as the price was great, but the reviews seemed to indicate it was a good value. I wasn't expecting a stay at a Hilton.

We arrived at the hotel at 4:30 p.m. and waited in line to check in. The first thing I noticed upon entering the building was a strong stench of cigarette smoke. The building is supposed to be non-smoking. Also the man at the front desk was dressed very unprofessionally. Once I approached the front desk, I provided my information and then was asked, "Didn't anyone call you?" No one had. Apparently, the inn had wildly overbooked causing them to have zero space for my husband and I -- along with multiple others. This was extremely frustrating considering I had a confirmation email, which apparently confirmed nothing. Not to mention I had a big race the next morning with no where to stay the night.

I informed the man working the desk that the overbooking was not my problem and they needed to figure something out, whether they had to call and get us another hotel or whatever they could come up with. He said and did nothing, and told me that he couldn't ask guests to leave their rooms. I explained that wasn't what I was looking for. Eventually realizing this guy was worthless in terms of solving the problem, I asked if he could at least provide us with a list of hotels in the area with phone numbers. He did manage to do this, but was offended with my manner. Who would guess that a customer waking up at 4 a.m. the next morning with no place to stay would be irritated?

We eventually found one room left in all of Racine and booked it -- at double the cost for one night then we would have spent for 2. We ended up paying for a room with 3 queen beds because that was all that was left. Every other hotel was solidly booked. I'm not sure what all of the other couples did, except for find another town further away from the race. Despite the higher cost, I felt lucky to got that last room at the Day's Inn. This inn, while looks somewhat dated, had a very friendly staff and even went so far as to open their breakfast at 4:30 a.m. the next morning for the athletes. They also provided free bottles of water for us. They went above and beyond for their customers.

The Knight's Inn Racine has extremely poor management. In the day and age of computer reservations, I don't understand how they could have overbooked so badly ... or at all for that matter? And then to not contact us in advance and do absolutely nothing about at terrible situation they put us in is inexcusable.

Yes, the prices look right, but know that there's no guarantee at a place like this. They will do nothing to ensure you are taken care of or satisfied. I will never stay here again, no matter the price. This whole experience added tons of stress to my weekend race trip. Although, I do feel like things worked out in the end for the best. Go stay at the Day's Inn down the street.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RacerGirl2674
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed 24 July 2013

This was probably the worst hotel experience I have ever had. My wife booked two nights at the Knight's Inn while we were their for her 70.3 Ironman in Racine this past weekend. She booked the hotel months ago through a service her job offers. She called on Friday to verify they had fridges and microwaves in the rooms so she could have breakfast before her race, and they did confirm it.

Fast forward to Saturday afternoon as we pull up to the hotel after spending several hours checking her in and dropping off gear. We are tired and want to get our stuff down and go eat dinner. I knew something was odd about the place right away when the lobby reeked of cigarette smoke even though they're suppose to be non-smoking. The second issue was the attendant was just wearing a t-shirt, jeans, and a baseball hat; not a professional look for someone in a customer service position. We got up to the counter and my wife gave him her information, saying she had a reservation. The guy looks it up and goes, sorry, we're double booked. Needless to say, we were stunned. The guy asked if we received a phone call (we didn't) and when my wife proceeded to ask him what they would do to help, the guy basically said nothing. He offered no apologies that no one called us ahead of time to let us know there was an issue with booking, nor did he offer any services to assist us in getting a hotel in the area. The only thing he did was give us a copy of hotel phone numbers, but other than that was extremely rude. We were not the only people this happened to, as we soon discovered four other couples sitting in the lobby or parking lot frantically trying to get a hotel room last minute before the race. This feat was nearly impossible as most hotels were fully booked. Fortunately, my wife and I were able to get a one night at another hotel, who were very accommodating.

The only positive thing I could say about this place was the price. It looked like a crappy hole in the wall, but we had two nights for the price of one at the hotel we ended up staying at (it wasn't a four-star hotel or anything either). Needless to say, we will never stay at this place or another Knight's Inn. If the management can't make a simple phone call to allow out-of-towners enough time to make other arrangements without paying top dollar, why give them the business?

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michael S
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The hotel is very dated, and although my room was clean, it had obviously been smoked in at some point in the past. This despite the fact that the hotel is official all non smoking. The continental breakfast was a coffee and a juice machine and stale donuts. Also, when I came to the lobby in the morning, there was someone in handcuffs chatting with the police. Finally, they didn't seem to have my hotels.com reservation, but they did allow me to check in without paying.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank jnyyz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Racine
Racine Architect Hotel & Conference Center
Days Inn Racine/Sturtevant
Days Inn Racine/Sturtevant
#2 of 4 in Sturtevant
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mt. Pleasant-Racine West, WI

Been to Knights Inn Racine? Share your experiences!