“Worth Your Business.”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Racine
Columbus, North Carolina
“Worth Your Business.”
Reviewed 12 August 2011

The Comfort Inn of Racine is a competent, comfortable place to rest your head for a night or two. My experience here was of an average, run-of-the-mill Choice brand property: it did what it was suppose to do.

This is not an interstate-adjacent motel. It sits roughly five miles from I-94, closer to the city proper. I'll agree with other reviews that its location is excellent. There are enough restaurants, convenience stores and other necessities both along the way to the motel and nearby to satisfy a traveler. Parking is offered in a well-lit lot (although the back entrance is a bit remote-feeling.) I stayed here on a Friday night and heard nothing. I found my king-sized room well-equipped with a microwave, small fridge and couch. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean.

The motel provided a nice, hot breakfast with other cold options such as cereal and yogurt, and it was served in a more spacious setting than what one usually finds in a similar motel. The somewhat-recent hot breakfast decision of Choice's is an excellent one that will no doubt help the sell of its brand.

The only less-than-satisfactory incident during my stay involved taking a shower. When preparing to shower in the morning, I noticed a problem: it wasn't getting warm at all. I waited a few minutes before calling the front desk to see if I could get anything other than cold water. Wasn't happening. When I made the call, the front desk clerk told me to "flip it", meaning to turn the shower fixture opposite of the standard "hot to the left, cold to the right." It worked, but I sensed from her that this had happened before.

Aside from that, my stay was just fine. The staff was courteous; I appreciated the help of the front desk clerk in finding a place to enjoy Racine's own "kringle" delicacy.

Room Tip: (Wheelchair accessible via first floor only--no noticeable elevator)
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank roadtripphene

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Stoke on Trent
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We stopped at this hotel for one night only on way back to O'hare.
The hotel was clean and pleasant, at check in we were greeted with a friendly receptionist who in the early evenning rang our room to check if everything in our room was ok (nice touch) The breakfast although had a smaller range than previous establishment had something for everyone and the area was clean and and topped up regularly with 24hr coffee.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Hartland, Michigan
Reviewed 13 May 2011

The location of this hotel is it's major selling point.Simply it is close to just about everything weather you are walking or by bus.hot breakfast were fantastic.the comfort inn were family friendly relatively well appointed.The rooms were extremely spacious,remodeled,clean and very quit at all times.I was there for case traning and company just walking distance.it was my first time to racine and i will certainly be back.It is a wonderful location in racine.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank google40
Victoria
Reviewed 5 October 2010

Best low-priced motel we've been in. Friendly, helpful check-in (knew all the Frank Lloyd buildings in town) clean room (tiny bit of mold in a corner of the tub) nice firm bed, clean, crisp sheets, wireless worked. Didn't check out the exercise room, but the breakfast was fine. We'd stay here again in a flash. Restaurant next door has cheap, not-bad food, and lots of it. Terrible wine, though.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ianjc
Madison WI
Reviewed 24 June 2010

There's so much wrong with this place that it'd difficult to focus on a few things. Bottom line: this poorly cleaned/maintained place discriminates against disabled people.

My blind husband and I reserved a room at this facility because of its convenient location and its competitive pricing. We really should have checked the reviews on this site. Had we done that, we might not have stayed there. Housekeeping was lacking -- moldy shower curtain, a smoke detector that did not work, a tub faucet that just kept on running, and stale smoke in a non-smoking room.

Once front desk staff saw my blind husband's service dog, we were told we were being moved out of a room they originally had assigned to us (a room we NEVER saw) to one at the back of the facility -- to a "pet room" at a place that says (in its advertising) it does not allow pets. The room we were given was minimally clean. By the time we saw all of this, we're dead-tired and figure we just have to deal with it.

We were never sure the smoke alarm was fixed, the shower curtain wasn't changed, and the room wasn't straightened after we complained, nor did we get clean towels, and the garbage wasn't taken from the room. No more service for us! Were they trying to drive us out? We certainly thought so. At least the faucet was fixed.

The next day, the general manager asked if "the dog" would be in the room when it was cleaned. SINCE THE SERVICE DOG IS USED AS A MOBILITY AID BY MY HUSBAND, THE DOG GOES WITH US. IN FACT, WE CARRY COPIES OF STATE SERVICE DOG LAWS WITH US, TO SUPPOSEDLY EDUCATE FOLKS WHO WANT TO DENY MY HUSBAND HIS CIVIL RIGHTS AND REFUSE TO RENT TO HIM -- or want to "Jim Crow" us, like this hotel did. Things really deteriorated when I asked if they entered a room when the "DO NOT DISTURB" sign was out, as that is the ONLY time the animal is in the room without us -- on those rare occasions. At least the wireless Internet service was strong and steady, and the cable television was interesting.

The continental breakfast was worth every cent we paid for it. (It was free.) These folks couldn't even provide salt for some sad-looking hard-boiled eggs. No one restocked. If a facility doesn't want to offer basics, they shouldn't bother to offer breakfast at all.

We certainly didn't leave the Racine Comfort Inn satisfied or happy (as their advertising supposedly guarantees). We seriously thought about going to the Fairfield Inn a couple of blocks away. Yet no one offered an apology. If anything, the general manager was more rude than we expected he would be after we first communicated our concerns. In fact, he argued with us as we were checking out. The minute they saw the service dog, the treatment we received clearly indicated to us they did not want us there. We checked with a lawyer and with The Seeing Eye. Hotels/motels/lodging facilities cannot refuse to rent to anyone with a service dog, nor can they put customers with service dogs in "pets only" rooms. To do so is discrimination. We are contemplating legal action. But given the quality of the cleaning and quality of front desk staff, and based on how we were treated, I doubt we'll ever do business with this chain again. There's no way I would recommend this place to anyone. And I'm going to do my best to spread the word about a company that discriminates against service dog users.

There's nothing like having your civil rights denied to make for a fun time.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VaMayoBlack
India
Reviewed 26 May 2010

I have run hotels in my lifetime and this hotel needs the management taking more personal interest. Housekeeping is the worst I have experienced in 45 years of traveling around the world. The court yard at the rear entrance is filthy and so is the parking and garden areas.
The hotel is not worth the money one pays for the over night stay. The reception staff are excellent but that's all.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Westville, Illinois
Reviewed 4 February 2010

The lobby smelled a bit like armpits when I arrived. The showerhead had mildew growing on it (never seen that before) and the lock on the back door did not latch. Other than the mold in the shower, the room was ok.

Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Racine
DoubleTree by Hilton Racine Harbourwalk
Days Inn Racine/Sturtevant
Days Inn Racine/Sturtevant
#2 of 4 in Sturtevant
Americas Best Value Inn / Racine
Holiday Inn Express Racine (I-94 @ Exit 333)

Been to Comfort Inn Racine? Share your experiences!