“Excellent product!”

Ranked #11 of 251 Restaurants in Racine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 8 March 2013

My wife and I recently went to the Hobnob and the food and the service were great.
View was pretty amazing too. Can't go wrong here.

2  Thank Rick S

Reviewed 6 March 2013

I took my boyfriend to the Hob Nob for his birthday. From the moment we stepped in the front door, we were transported back in time to the days when people dressed to the nines to go out to dinner. The hostess graciously greeted us and gave us a quick tour of the "Belle-Mar" side dining room with it's u-shaped Vegas-style booths and gorgeous chandelier. Afterwards we were seated at the bar for drinks. The bartenders were very nice; we enjoyed their playful banter. After a cocktail we were seated in a cozy booth for dinner. Our attentive waitress watched our table and timed the arrival of each course perfectly. The prime rib is excellent (their specialty). We will definitely be back again in Summer!

2  Thank RLee86
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Great drinks, great food, Friday night Fish fry will keep your wallet happy too, come in for one of their amazing drinks and then have a pretty tasty piece of fish, moist and delicious, it is a lot of fish for one.
The most amazing thing aside from the ability to step back in time, the staff, very attentive even when the Bar was packed we still had great service.
We also really enjoyed the live music, it just really adds to the whole experience.

1  Thank Shmeeps M
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I have been to the Hobnob perhaps 50 times since the late 1960's when the place was still in the hands of the original owner (who was also the original head chef) named Higgins. After it was sold (I think in the 80s) the overall standards went down somewhat, but the regular menu has been retained all of these years. This place is indeed a throwback to the supper clubs of the 40s/50s and has maintained its original ambience, which is unusual and unique. There is a wonderful view of the lake and the main dining room with its huge old fashioned bar is unlike that in any other restaurant I have seen. Around the December holidays the place is festively decorated in an appealing old fashioned manner.

I have eaten at some of the finest restaurants around the world, and the Hobnob has always been one of my favorites. I certainly have never eaten at a better place anywhere in Wisconsin. The Hobnob is expensive, but the prices are commensurate with other restaurants of this caliber and less expensive than equivalent restaurants in major cities. For most people dining here will be for a special occasion.

With regard to the service, it is not what it used to be, but then nothing is. Whoever thinks the service at the Hobnob is routinely bad (that has not been my experience), the negative experiences I read on this site are nothing compared to dining at any good restaurant in Paris, Brussels, London, New York, Tokyo, or just about any major city in the world, where you won't just be ignored, you may likely be treated like an intruder or a nuisance if you don't order a $200 bottle of wine. I do remember our waitress was very slow on one occasion, but that was an isolated occurrence.

This is a steak and seafood restaurant and they do almost every dish very well, and some of them are truly outstanding. The broiled Australian rock lobster is one of my favorite dishes anywhere. The only other place I have ever seen it on a menu is in Sydney. However, the large tail set me back $120 the last time I had it at the Hobnob (maybe 4-5 years ago). The Hobnob was famous for its au gratin potatoes, french onion soup, and their house salad with homemade dressings, but the price/portion sizes of these side dishes has inflated/deflated quite a bit over the years. The last time I had the oysters on the half shell they were fantastic and as good as I have had anywhere, including New Orleans or Vancouver. The escargot is also excellent and I doubt you will find it on a menu anywhere else in the area. My mother loves the petit filet with onion strings and has ordered that every time I have been at the Hobnob with her over the past 45 years. The steaks and chops in general are very good, not the best I have ever had-- but I am comparing them to steaks at some of the top steak houses around the world. The pike and lake perch are both excellent on Fridays, but you can get those at less expensive places. The other main dishes I remember as being especially good were the duck and the liver and onions.

The drinks are expensive but worth the cost. My favorite dessert is the frozen grasshopper which is ice cream with creme de menthe. The coffee is excellent.

To summarize, this is a very expensive restaurant for the area, but also the best. You would probably have to go to Chicago to find something equivalent in terms of food quality and ambience, and it will most likely be more expensive.

I hope that the bad service reported by others here represents isolated incidents. It would be a shame to see this Racine landmark deteriorate for that reason.

1  Thank Maxwell1001
Reviewed 13 February 2013

We were a party of 3. Two of us sat at the bar and ordered drinks. The female bartender was pleasant and made good drinks. She also served us each ice water. I am a big water drinker and appreciated the jester. Dinner started with garlic bread w/gorgonzola. Warm, hot and delish. I had Tournedos of Tenderloin w/bearnaise sauce med. rare. I had the red parsley boiled potatoes. It came w/spinach salad and I chose baked french onion soup. The spinach salad was flat tasting. The soup and steak were fabulous. The other guests ordered rib-eyes with onion rings on top. One ordered well done charred and the other medium. All 3 of our steaks were cooked to perfection. Our waiter Andrew was very attentive. Asking if we needed more butter or sour cream for two baked potatoes that were ordered. It was alot of food.

1  Thank wackedout

Been to Hobnob Restaurant? Share your experiences!