“Up North, the Right Way”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rhinelander
Brekke's Fireside Resort
Greenfield, Wisconsin
“Up North, the Right Way”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We just finished our trip and are completely happy with our stay. Nice cabins, a swimming area with a sandy beach, easy access to great fishing and close to town so you can get any supplies you need. Old fashion shuffle board, along with horseshoes, tennis and volleyball. Great hosts and an evening gathering spot in the game room/ bar. Highly recommended if you want a relaxing retreat to the north woods.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Scurb
DanBrekke, Manager at Brekke's Fireside Resort, responded to this review, 7 January 2015
Thanks so much for your review! It's nice to hear you were happy with your stay. Sounds like you had some luck fishing too! Many of our reviews focus on the lake area, but as mentioned we do have a tennis court, shuffleboard, horseshoes and a few other things for those of you who may be a little less water enthused. And we do have a bar/ game room that's open in the evenings. As this reviewer said, it does tend to serve as a gathering spot for guests to relax and meet each other.

Thanks again for the review and we hope to see you again this summer!

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Joliet, Illinois
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed the week of June 28, 2014, with our grandson. The owner Carol and her son Dan do a excellent job of maintaining the grounds and the cabins. Most of the cabins have to be 50+ years old but to look at them inside and out you would think they were brand new. Four of the 2 bedroom ones are log cabins and look very rustic on the outside and inside. Inside décor is excellent and everything inside is spotless and in excellent condition. I just can't say enough about the quality of the cabins. They have a little bar and game room that overlooks the lake and is a great gathering place for the guests in the evenings. There is a nice sandy beach and swim raft, fire pit, lounge chairs and water toys down at the lakeshore. There is nothing that Carol and Dan haven't thought of to make your stay enjoyable right down to the smallest little details. They don't always have a lot of openings in the mid summer months but if you can get in you won't be disappointed. I think by far it is the nicest and cleanest resort we have ever stayed at and we have stayed at many over the years. We travel in a lot of different directions every year but the next time we come to the Northwood's we will definitely stay at Brekke's Resort.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TWD435
DanBrekke, Manager at Brekke's Fireside Resort, responded to this review, 8 January 2015
Thank you so much for your review! Your statement about ours being the nicest and cleanest resort you've stayed at, and you've stayed at many has to be about the most rewarding thing I've read in our reviews. Truth be told I don't know how old the original cottages (and you had one of them) are, but it's at least 65 years as I saw a photo once from 1949. However old it happens to be, we're glad you liked your cottage and enjoyed your stay with us.

As 2014 brought you north, I'd guess 2015 may take your family in a different direction. Have a great time wherever you go, but the next time you come to the Northwoods of Wisconsin we hope to see you again. Thanks for the review!
New London, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The entire resort was more than we had hoped for....the beach extremely clean with lots of toys, the cabins rustic, clean, and fully stocked with the essentials, the lake beautiful, the staff very helpful and friendly, the docks for the boats excellent....our family had a great time and would recommend this resort to any family looking to have fun in the northern woods.
We stayed a full week and fished everyday....the boat launch was very accommodating too.
We enjoyed the family who owns the resort and looked forward to seeing our "cabin neighbors"....you not only enjoy your family and the resort, but your new week long neighbors too!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 204jcp
DanBrekke, Manager at Brekke's Fireside Resort, responded to this review, 23 December 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us! In looking through our reviews there's a mix of first time and return guests, and with you guys being first time I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. What you wrote about our cottages is exactly what we look to provide...clean, rustic and fully stocked.

The beach and docks are my territory, so it's nice to hear you liked those as well. I'd take credit for the boat launch if I could, but for those of you who've never been here before it's a state owned launch, two miles away.

It's also great to hear you liked your "cabin neighbors." That's the ideal situation for us, guests who not only are here to enjoy their stay but also to enjoy the company of our other guests. Thanks again for taking the time to write the review. Hope you are getting some use out of the Brekke's Can Coolers and we also hope to see you again!
Oak Creek, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I found this resort online and it was everything I was looking for! Relaxation for me and enough to keep my 11yr old happy too. The cabins were super clean and well stocked. The owners were extremely friendly and very accommodating. The water sports, beach toys, play equipment, etc were a great addition. My son couldn't wait to try everything and did everyday. The bar and game room were also a big hit with him. We even enjoyed using the fire pit. I definitely would visit again and it seemed to be the same thing I heard form all the new families that were there the same week as we were. Thanks Dan for the Relaxing Vacation!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Emickq
DanBrekke, Manager at Brekke's Fireside Resort, responded to this review, 30 December 2014
Well thank you for taking the time to write your review! Since you've mentioned me, why not start the response right there - thanks and it's great to hear you enjoyed your stay! In all seriousness we do try to provide a wide range of activities for everyone. And with you having three generations (yes I remember you guys too!) it's nice to hear you had a relaxing week with us.

You guys were a pleasure to have here. In the bar (your mom's a riot!) and overall for the week. I also remember your son doing just about everything we have to offer...and thought he must have had a good time. But it's very nice to see it in writing, so thanks again for taking the time. Hope to see you again soon!
Iron River, Michigan
Reviewed 5 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here one night and I wish we could have stayed longer. Very clean, charming atmosphere, beautiful peaceful lake with lots of 'lake toys' for guests to use.
One negative: the pillows. They are like rocks. Old rocks. Bring your own.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Magical430
Thanks for taking the time to review us! This has to be written after your first stay with us as there is no mention of the otters, which are a rare sight here. Glad you got some photos of them during your most recent stay. Thank you also for your kind comments on our atmosphere and cleanliness. And it's nice to hear you were able to spend some time by the lake and take advantage of the "toys."

I don't know if I'd go quite as far in describing our pillows, but I will agree that they are a personal preference. So to anyone reading this who may stay with us in the future...if you like your pillow, I would not argue with the idea of bringing it along. I've done this myself when I travel.

Thanks again for the review, and hope to see you again!
Central Ohio
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Whether your vacation is just your immediate family or many families it is a wonderful place for a vacation. There are many different things to do there. They have a very nice beach area for swimming with a raft out in the water. It's an excellent lake for water skiing, fishing or just floating around on the pontoon boat. There are picnic tables by the lake if you wish to eat there rather than in your cabin. Also there is a fire pit by the lake. It's a short drive to Rhinelander if you need to pick up some groceries, etc. There are golf courses nearby also. Carol and Dan are very accommodating and want you to have a wonderful vacation. The cabins are well maintained and always very clean every time we come and we've been going there for over 30 years. I prefer one of the larger cabins, 7,8,9,11,12. Personally I like 12 the best because it is the closest to the the lake. However, if you do not plan to spend a lot of time in your cabin any of the cabins are excellent choices.

Room Tip: Cabin 12 is the closest to the lake. I love looking out at the lake in the morning from our cabin.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank travel_lady53
Thank you so much for your review! And specifically thanks for the compliments on the quality of our beach area and maintenance and cleanliness of our cabins. And the raft is getting a new carpet job just as soon as it's warm enough. We also have a fire pit that we provide the wood for (in fact it would be against state law to bring wood here from a distance). The fire pit, like the bar, serve as places for guests to convene in the evenings.

For anyone who's never been to the area before it is about 4 miles to Rhinelander, and most anything you'd need for a stay of 2 days to a month can be found there.

I've tried to figure out the author of all reviews, and with this being a guest of 30+ years it was pretty easy. So travel lady from Ohio...thanks for both the 30+ years and the review. We'll see you in July!
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 August 2012

This was our first trip here and we absolutely loved this place!! So very clean. Hosts Carol and Dan were the best! They cater to your needs and we are absolutely going back. The lake is beautiful. There was so many things for the kids on the beach that were included with your rental. Kayaks, canoes, sand pit and tons of toys, diving raft, paddle boat, and body surf boards not to mention all the floatie toys available for all to use. One warning if you have never stayed at a rustic resort in the woods and are used to hotel vacations you better research further this is for the true lover of the woods, nature and fishing/boating "northwoods style" Absolutely recommend for families!

Room Tip: We stayed in cabin 11. the cabins are above the lakefront so you must be able to walk up slight gra...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lynn K
DanBrekke, Manager at Brekke's Fireside Resort, responded to this review, 5 January 2015
Thanks for taking the time to write your review! And thanks also for making good on the promise to return, it's been great having you stay with us the past few years. As mentioned we do try to provide guests what they need and we're happy you've decided to make Brekke's an annual visit!

To those reading this who've never stayed at a resort, that is a good word of advice if you think this would be like a hotel. We offer free Wi-Fi, but that's one of the few similarities. We have individual cottages, and they would be more rustic than what you'd find at a hotel. So if you've never stayed at a Northwoods resort, I'd advise reading all our reviews and pick out some of the things you tend to see repeated. That will give you an idea of what we're all about.

Thanks again for the review, and we look forward to seeing you next summer!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhinelander
Holiday Acres Resort
#5 of 12 in Eagle River
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#5 of 8 in Rhinelander

Been to Brekke's Fireside Resort? Share your experiences!